THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

15 hours ago, vloors said:

That doesnt explain why they couldnt have just recorded new songs from the start like most bands do instead of drip feeding mediocre at times CD leftovers.

No, it doesn't (and let's be honest - we all know why), but IMO, it would have been criminal not to put these tracks out at all. I would have just done it in a different way.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It would be a bad thing for me. I wouldn't like them to hire Desmond Child type writers to write generic radio friendly songs for them just to have new music. I'd really take more Absurd's over that :lol:

I'm not so sure he wouldn't call Izzy if he got seriously into the process of making new music.

I like More Absurd if you please

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

It would be a bad thing for me. I wouldn't like them to hire Desmond Child type writers to write generic radio friendly songs for them just to have new music. I'd really take more Absurd's over that :lol:

They could ask Chris Stapleton, Neil Young, AIC/Jerry Cantrell, Dave Grohl, AC/DC, Pink (more like that guy from Sweden who writes all her songs), Carrie Underwood or whoever writes her songs...I doubt any of them would hang up if Axl called. Besides, Slash literally played with everyone and their dog's kitchen sink. They could pile quality songwriters higher than the Empire State if they wanted.

The problem I see is those recent lawsuits, no A lister in their right mind would want to be connected with Axl and GNR right now, given the current social climate.

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, these are not terrible and I know they were hits, but they're uninteresting to me and I wouldn't be interested in GN'R doing that (I don't care about them having a hit).

Well, if Axl wanted to do that, he could have done a great solo album with collaborations.

It could be much simpler, really. Duff says he has written 60 songs, so they could pick two of them. Then two or three Slash songs - if Axl has a difficulty to write lyrics, Del James could help him with some lines etc. They could even use a couple of songs from the CD era, fully re-recorded (including the vocals). Add a couple of covers, and that's it.

This would be ideal (well maybe minus the covers)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Duff says he has written 60 songs, so they could pick two of them. Then two or three Slash songs - if Axl has a difficulty to write lyrics, Del James could help him with some lines etc. They could even use a couple of songs from the CD era, fully re-recorded (including the vocals). Add a couple of covers, and that's it.

No doubt about Slash having a couple of good tunes ready, but Duff is not a good songwriter, maybe if he condenses those 60 songs down to 10 he might have a tune in there or two. Lyrics from Del James is a great idea, been a while since I read his stuff but I liked his tone and the images he painted there.

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Is there a difference? I was under the impression they were the same, or is that a matter still to be resolved? 

I can't say yet, it could be, in terms of compression, general quality, mix...

3 hours ago, batatadoce said:

just heard it, doesn't sound much different from the leak

much different, or different at all? :bitchfight:

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yeah, these are not terrible and I know they were hits, but they're uninteresting to me and I wouldn't be interested in GN'R doing that (I don't care about them having a hit).

Well, if Axl wanted to do that, he could have done a great solo album with collaborations.

It could be much simpler, really. Duff says he has written 60 songs, so they could pick two of them. Then two or three Slash songs - if Axl has a difficulty to write lyrics, Del James could help him with some lines etc. They could even use a couple of songs from the CD era, fully re-recorded (including the vocals). Add a couple of covers, and that's it.

sorry for going off topic. I think in some areas, it's as simple or as difficult as Axl makes it to be imo, so I guess it depends on what his artisitc goal is, if there is still one beyond Chinese material. I get the feeling that for Axl, a Gn'R album always means a lot, maybe too much for the process to not be fractured instead of gaining momentum and not take years to release.

Del wrote some good lyrics in the past, but I wonder if he can still do it at that level like the lyrics he contributed to Gn'R.  I wonder if Axl still writes lyrics on a regular/semi regular basis or not so much.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, batatadoce said:

After listing a few times I can't really tell the difference

That's as predicted really. The leaked versions will be off the original vinyl....but they won't be rips of the actual vinyl being played, rather the files that were to be used to make the vinyl. 

So yeah, I would imagine they sound pretty much identical to what we already have. 

• Like 1

I've listened to the japan leak, it's definitely the same as the leak we had, but the mix is a bit better. Axl's vocals are a bit lower, and you can hear the instruments better. No major difference, the quality is just a bit better overall. I'll wait for the vinyl and play it, but I don't expect much difference.

It was Slash & Duff playing, end of debate. Which means, we may hear the original one someday (Chinese Democracy Super Deluxe Box with everything please, I'd spend $1000 on this if done properly).

• Like 2

Just now, D.. said:

I've listened to the japan leak, it's definitely the same as the leak we had, but the mix is a bit better. Axl's vocals are a bit lower, and you can hear the instruments better. No major difference, the quality is just a bit better overall. I'll wait for the vinyl and play it, but I don't expect much difference.

It was Slash & Duff playing, end of debate. Which means, we may hear the original one someday (Chinese Democracy Super Deluxe Box with everything please, I'd spend $1000 on this if done properly).

How’d you access it?

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I think a couple of songs from Duff's last two albums could have worked, e.g. Longfeather could be really good with Axl and Slash. I thought Del's "Without You" story (that's the only stuff I've read from him) was pretty poor - I hardly made it through it - but his lyrics to The Garden and Yesterdays were good. The lyrics he has written for Testament are not great, but if Axl has a lyrical concept, he could help him complete a verse or a chorus etc.

Back to The General, I have tried to listen to the Japanese radio station with NordVPN, but for some reason it doesn't connect to Japan correctly.

Dell didn’t write the garden or yesterdays that was a combination of Axl and West Arkeen

4 minutes ago, Inamible said:

Is there a possibility that the version played on the radio in Japan is simply the leak or is it definitely the final version?

I’d imagine there’d be some sort of repercussions if that were indeed the case.

I’m thinking this is the jukebox situation all over again… was supposed to be released earlier, delayed for some reason, and this station just didn’t get the memo and played it anyways. 

Edited by GNRRHCP98