Justin Hawkins reacts to the live debut performance of 'The General'

So let me get this straight that dude is a singer but instead of singing himself he rather be a music journalist talking about other singers that actually do sing, right?

How long until people start making reaction videos to reaction videos? Or is that a thing already?

Edited by adamsapple
  • Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

55 minutes ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

So let me get this straight this dude is a rock fan but instead of knowing anything about rock music he rather be on a GnR message board posting about rock artists he doesn't know of that actually know stuff about rock music and who has even opened up for GnR?

I've never heard of him, though.

2 hours ago, adamsapple said:

So let me get this straight that dude is a singer but instead of singing himself he rather be a music journalist talking about other singers that actually do sing, right?

How long until people start making reaction videos to reaction videos? Or is that a thing already?

we can't be too defensive of our boy here lol, justins an incredible singer in a band that isnt financially successful like guns.. this doesnt equate to his opinion being lessened because its actually constructive criticism of rock n roll, which is good (gets people talking). content creation is more of an avenue akin to old school rock journalism than anything else nowadays, can't shit on the guy for using his knowledge and producing videos instead of working a 9-5. music is a subjective medium that we interpret and enjoy.. can't get mad for him doing it and making some $$$ off of it. 

y'know.. guns could use somebody like this actually. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

So let me get this straight this dude is a rock fan but instead of knowing anything about rock music he rather be on a GnR message board posting about rock artists he doesn't know of that actually know stuff about rock music and who has even opened up for GnR?

Shame on me I never heard of that band, but then again I'm old and I don't watch TV or attend festivals so what do I know. :lol:

I didn't mean to piss on that band. I just find those reaction videos so strange, especially if they are coming from what I suppose is a professional musician. Can you imagine Axl doing one of these? Me neither.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cory Trevor said:

we can't be too defensive of our boy here lol, justins an incredible singer in a band that isnt financially successful like guns.. this doesnt equate to his opinion being lessened because its actually constructive criticism of rock n roll, which is good (gets people talking). content creation is more of an avenue akin to old school rock journalism than anything else nowadays, can't shit on the guy for using his knowledge and producing videos instead of working a 9-5. music is a subjective medium that we interpret and enjoy.. can't get mad for him doing it and making some $$$ off of it. 

y'know.. guns could use somebody like this actually. 

I'm just confused about reaction videos in general. If people enjoy that good for them. If they make money with that great. However, they are not producing any actual content or anything of actual value. They offer opinions, maybe some experience (which does not equal expertise) based around content others created. I mean what are those guys gonna do when given tinder and spark? Talk about others building a fire? I'm lost. I like simple. This whole concept is just too meta for me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

Justin's being kind, he's always been quite sympathetic to Axl

I think he's being perfectly honest. What might seem like being kind is a mixture of genuine respect for GNR because The Darkness were strongly influenced by them, and Justin's natural thoughtful and empathetic nature. As a singer, he understands a lot of the struggles of live performance.

He's done other videos on Axl as well and generally has a fair and a balanced assessment of Axl that I think most on this forum would agree with; that he has his up and downs, you can't expect him to sound like he did 30 years ago, but he still has impressive moments and gives it his all every night. He seemed to genuinely enjoy Perhaps.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, adamsapple said:

He does sing all the time, and puts out records all the time. His opinion is validated by the fact that he does the same job (you don't need to be a famous singer to have an opinion of course). One difference is he has maintained his voice remarkably well from day 1 and shows no signs of slowing down. Whether you like his voice / band or not is really beside the point on that too. The other difference is Axl is much richer and more famous. Similarity both released debuts that were excellent!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

He does sing all the time, and puts out records all the time. His opinion is validated by the fact that he does the same job (you don't need to be a famous singer to have an opinion of course). One difference is he has maintained his voice remarkably well from day 1 and shows no signs of slowing down. Whether you like his voice / band or not is really beside the point on that too. The other difference is Axl is much richer and more famous. Similarity both released debuts that were excellent!

Axl also maintained his voice well, otherwise his lower register wouldn't sound as powerful and full as it does now, and he wouldn't be able to do 3.5 hour shows at his age. The main difference is that Axl is 13 years older than this dude. Axl also showed no signs of slowing down vocally in 2010, but then aging kicked in. It's natural and could easily happen with Justin too.

Edited by meadsoap

No one needs to be a singer or musician to give their opinion. No one needs to me more "successful" than Axl to give their opinion. No one needs to sing higher or have the same age as Axl to give their opinion. It just happens that Justin Hawkins is the lead singer of a successful band, who sings very well. So yeah, the dude knows what he's talking about, ESPECIALLY in this case. And funny enough, some people are angry he gave his opinion :lol:

• Like 2