Greatest GNR Concert Ever?

10 hours ago, DarkLotus1111 said:

That was God awful. Axl should've been arrested for such a shit performance. I rather listen to fat Vince Meal sing Motley Crue songs in Simlish than endure that Bridge School performance. Poor kids.

Axl did the first night despite being sick, to not disappoint the kids. The kids had a great time, I am sure. 

• GNFNR 1

23 hours ago, RnRHOFGNR said:

June 6th 1992 - Paris France.

One of the best visually and audio recorded performances of the band.  Great song choices and some really good guest appereances this was the band at the the peak of their game.  Although the Ritz show from 1988 is also a good one.

This is definitely my favorite of the UYI tour proshots.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 7:01 PM, JoJo Bonetto said:

I am biased to like this one because I was there but there is no official video beyond the one song they did and the audio for Nightrain members, as I understand it. Beyond that, I like all the Ritz shows.

In agreement - every Guns gig that I've been to since never came close. Rabid crowd, and so much anticipation. A month or two before the Illusions release so the first time most folks in the crowd would have heard November Rain, Estranged etc. Izzy's last gig as well.

Outside of that, for me it's the Ritz gig - the broadcast was the gateway for a lot of fans getting into the band, particularly in the UK.  One of the few TV recordings of any band that really captures the magic of a club gig. Just incredible energy - particularly My Michelle. 

Edited by SilverMachine
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SilverMachine said:

In agreement - every Guns gig that I've been to since never came close. Rabid crowd, and so much anticipation. A month or two before the Illusions release so the first time most folks in the crowd would have heard November Rain, Estranged etc. Izzy's last gig as well.

Outside of that, for me it's the Ritz gig - the broadcast was the gateway for a lot of fans getting into the band, particularly in the UK.  One of the few TV recordings of any band that really captures the magic of a club gig. Just incredible energy - particularly My Michelle. 

Yes, that's exactly it. I was 13 when I watched the Ritz 88 performance in 89 on the tv. It got me into them and I still love it now. You can argue it is nostalgia and it wasn't their best performance but to be great, you don't have to be technically perfect and have everything go right. It did what it needed to do. The Wembley 91 gig was wild really, I was 15 and chaperoned but it was mind boggling how huge it was. I agree the crowd was rabid and the anticipation was intense. It was a once in a lifetime energy that I have never come close to experiencing at other gigs.

• Like 1

There's an unfortunately small amount of pro-recordings, but we're still lucky to have some decent audience recordings of great shows. The 3rd night at MSG 91 definitely stands out, Forum 91, Felt Forum 88, Hammersmith 87... some great performances like Reckless Life in Boston 93, I've listened to that show a few times (and @Tom-Ass was there, lucky fucker). LALD from Orchard Park 92 is pretty cool, Axl sang the first part acapella. He did Bad Time as a SCOM intro in 88, and Drift Away as an intro to You're Crazy... I went through a phase where I probably listened to every audience recorded show that didn't sound like complete shit. The pro shots we have are such a small glimpse into how great they were.

• Like 1

My favourite show was the first time I saw them which was at Newcastle City Hall on Oct 4. 1987. Went with friends from school and I knew I was seeing something special. Faster Pussycat were great as openers (and a few mates reckoned they were better than GNR). We managed to meet them afterwards for autographs and a quick chat….I’ll never forget  that night 🤘🤘🤘

(yes I’m old haha)

• Like 4

On 12/14/2023 at 11:07 PM, DarkLotus1111 said:

That was God awful. Axl should've been arrested for such a shit performance. I rather listen to fat Vince Meal sing Motley Crue songs in Simlish than endure that Bridge School performance. Poor kids.

Just to add some context. Axl had strep throat but still stepped up and played two charity concerts that benefit young people with intellectual and physical disabilities. And it was only Jungle from the first show where he completely loses his voice.

Axl gets a lot of shit for a lot of things. Some deserved. Some not. I don't know why everyone harps on about this show. 

• Like 3

The best I was ever to was Philly 2016. Axl acted as if he had something to prove and was on fire that night. It was also the first time Sorry was performed with Slash and Duff.  And I have no doubt that Axl played that song to apologize for 2002.  It was just a really great time.  One I'll never forget 

On 12/13/2023 at 1:50 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I always kinda laugh when I see people say Ritz 88 is their best show - it's not even the best pro-shot performance from that era. It's not a bad show, but it's gotta be one of the most overrated concert broadcasts, I swear people only rate it so highly because of nostalgia and not the actual performance. Ritz 87 blows it out of the water, Music Machine 86 was a great club gig, Melbourne 88 sounds way tighter, and those are just other pro-shots...

I'd love to hear the Greensboro 91 show, almost as long as the Forum show but apparently they played both Coma and Locomotive. I've read they played the alt Don't Cry, too. There's probably tons of gems like that we've never heard or seen, just rotting in the vault...

Ritz 88 is like the only official proshot Appetite Lineup concert, of course it would be people's favorites when everything else is bootlegs or leaked XD.

People make favorites before even experiencing half of what is available. Same with Tokyo 92.

• Like 1

When i was a kid and first got access to youtube, I watched Tokyo 92 & Ritz and the same stuff that popped up on the front page of youtube as well XD.

You won't find Romania 2010, Inglewood 1991 or Hammerstein Ballroom 2006 even in the first 50 pages of results. I remember back then i had Apple TV only for youtube and had to manually skip until i found something I hadn't seen, and be careful not to click on a video beforehand else i'd have to restart the scrolling lol

I've said it a million times on here before but Wembley '91 is definitely my favorite UYI show. I haven't listened to all AFD bootlegs yet but out of all I've heard, nothing comes close to that one.

That whole first leg of the UYI tour is a really fun listen. Most shows are phenomenal from those three and a half months. Well, apart from St Louis which is imo undoubtedly the worst show they ever did. It's almost a blessing that the band walked of stage and ended that train wreck :lol:

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 12/20/2023 at 1:24 AM, Bitchisback said:

The best I was ever to was Philly 2016. Axl acted as if he had something to prove and was on fire that night. It was also the first time Sorry was performed with Slash and Duff.  And I have no doubt that Axl played that song to apologize for 2002.  It was just a really great time.  One I'll never forget 

2016 really was magic, especially the NA stadium run. Axl really gave it his all that year, it was like an Indian summer for his voice :lol:

Anyways, the three 2016 shows I saw were the best concerts I’ve ever seen in person. Simply electric

• Like 1

On 12/13/2023 at 10:47 AM, adamsapple said:

Watched AC/DC at River Plate again the other day and I was thinking is there anything remotely close from any other band/audience? What would be the one GNR show you would show to your kids to give them an idea of the magic? Not just a good performance but to capture a bit of the overall vibe? Mercury tribute? Ritz maybe?

I will never understand why River Plate gets mentioned so often. Besides the band being way past their prime, Brian's vocals are partially re-recorded in the studio and partially pitch corrected. Live at Donington was also dubbed over but at least the band still had fire in their belly at that point.

As for GNR, Paris 92 had Slash's best Double Talkin Jive solo ever. The whole band was on fire there, far superior to Tokyo.

Everything I've heard from 1993 has been excellent; Saskatoon, Argentina, Hartford.

Ritz 88 was a mess and the band sounded like shit.

6 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

I will never understand why River Plate gets mentioned so often. Besides the band being way past their prime, Brian's vocals are partially re-recorded in the studio and partially pitch corrected.

I think the audience plays a massive part of why it's good. That many people jumping/clapping and singing along makes it a feel good watch. IMO.