Where do we go now?

Slash's latest releases, the guest spot with the Dandy Warhols and now the Killing Floor cover with the album to be released in May made me think.

I really love those tracks and Slash's playing on both songs are just as good as anything from back in the day.

I haven't felt that kind of excitment for the man's work in a long time.

I really dislike SMKC at this point because it's super boring and uninspired to my ears and the GnR approach with these Chinese leftovers is just a collosal failure in my opinion.

So, I really hope Slash keeps on doing new and different things from here on out and doesn't waste too much time with his established bands.

Anybody agree?

Edited by El Guapo
Typo
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

13 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Slash's latest releases, the guest spot with the Dandy Warhols and now the Killing Time cover with the album to be released in May made me think.

I really love those tracks and Slash's playing on both songs are just as good as anything from back in the day.

I really dislike SMKC at this point because it's super boring and uninspired to my ears and the GnR approach with these Chinese leftovers is just a collosal failure in my opinion.

So, I really hope Slash keeps on doing new and different things from here on out and doesn't waste too much time with his established bands.

Anybody agree?

I like SMKC so I'm happy if he goes down that route again, but yeah, otherwise I agree with you. Different and new is good and he seems to want to do that.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

Slash's latest releases, the guest spot with the Dandy Warhols and now the Killing Time cover with the album to be released in May made me think.

Anybody agree?

If life would be easy like that then yeah. I'd be for a new GNR record from scratch and multiple Slash collaborations. But if it’s either SMKC or nothing, then I’m all for SMKC.

Hopefully we’re lucky and something originates out of Mr Hudson’s Bluz Band. Maybe it clicks while they’re touring. Probably they start writing new material… who the fuck knows. At this moment I’d take everything over Myles but if that’s what we get? I’ll take this one too. But I’m one of those who had fun with the last two SMKC records.

Edited by Free Bird

Slash's latest releases, the guest spot with the Dandy Warhols and now the Killing Floor cover with the album to be released in May made me think.

Anybody agree?

I am not that excited about the blues album. It's a bit too rock and roll. I prefer my blues to be more bluesy and less rocky. But that's based entirely off the single and hopefully the other songs will be more pure blues renditions of the songs.

As for SMKC - I couldn't care less. If he has the capacity to keep on doing that, then go for it. 

And although I would have preferred the rest of the Chinese Democracy material to come out with its original musicians instead of with Slash and Duff, I have thoroughly enjoyed what we have got so far. I mean, beggars can't be choosers. I don't see how Slash recording over unreleased GN'R songs is going to hamper his ability to do other projects, so it is all good in my book.

There is almost no chance a full-fledged new Guns record is ever released. The absolute best-case scenario you can hope for is that they decide to release an original (as in, completely new - not a rehash of any Chinese era song) track as part of a movie soundtrack or something. If someone writes a big enough check, I think that's a possibility somewhere down the road.

Edited by OTHAFA

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, OTHAFA said:

There is almost no chance a full-fledged new Guns record is ever released. The absolute best-case scenario you can hope for is that they decide to release an original (as in, completely new - not a rehash of any Chinese era song) track as part of a movie soundtrack or something. If someone writes a big enough check, I think that's a possibility somewhere down the road.

At this point, I just don't see any chance for really new, inspired GnR music. Axl just can't do it, it is what it is. These Chinese leftovers age terrible, it's all shit, basically. It doesn't even feel like real music to me. 

I'm just glad I realized that I can still get excited about new Slash stuff, I guess.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Anybody agree?

How could you disagree!

I really enjoyed seeing the early SMKC in 2010, and liked it up to World On Fire, but I mean... four albums... the well has run dry. Myles has nothing to say lyrically or melodically anymore with Slash.

Slash post-Guns is always best when he gets challenged with something fresh. Contraband via Weiland and Kushner, new singers on both Snakepit albums and the associated style shifts, the diversity of the self-titled, "Street Child." 

I hope he does a Slash 2 next and keeps it moving that way, do all kinds of weird collabs. Liam Gallagher, Jack White, Mustaine, Justin and Dan Hawkins, Eddie Veddar? Alicia Keys? F'n Izzy. Whatever! Keep mixing it the f upppp before the clock runs out. 

Edited by Ant000
  • Like 3

No, I want more SMKC.

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Putting Velvet Revolver back together with different singers might be a good option at this stage too. 

Would free them up to make music together and I'd certainly like to hear what they did. 

I don't think that's ever going to happen.

1 hour ago, OTHAFA said:

Is that the reason why we had NITL tour? I mean there was no chance of that happening. LMAO. 

17 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

No, I want more SMKC.

I don't think that's ever going to happen.

I think so as well,  VR has such a negative vibe all around, I guess  it's not inspiring to the guys in any way anymore.

I think so as well,  VR has such a negative vibe all around, I guess  it's not inspiring to the guys in any way anymore.

Does it? I thought they were all on decent enough terms with each other? Obviously the Scott Weiland thing casts a shadow, but I can honestly see them doing VR again in some form. 

Hell, bring in Fortus, Dizzy and Melissa as well! That might give Axl a kick up the arse.

There's no nostalgia for VR, and they'll never top Contraband as a cultural and musical achievement (not saying it's that great, but in terms of popularity, crossover success, winning a grammy, showing they could "do it again," securing a really lucrative record contract etc.). Libertad was a flop, the whole thing became poisonous between the guys (and their wives?), Scott is dead... Hell VR almost didn't get off the ground until Scott walked in the door. They'd probably never find "the singer" again at this point. And if they did, they'd probably be better off with a new name and clean slate. 

Edited by Ant000
  • Like 1

I'm just glad Slash is doing something different and seeing it being this successful is great.

SMKCs albums started feeling bleh since the reunion shifted Slashs focus away from it. Or maybe there was just nowhere else to go from WOF, it was that complete and all encompassing of an album, and for the type of rock music Slash makes, the genre he's in, it probably doesn't get better than that. So maybe of course it went downhill since then, I don't know.

But this album looks like it will break up that downhill trajectory of his solo stuff ever since the GNR reunion. If anything it will show him he can come out of that safe SMKC bubble and do something else, and also have that be MORE successful.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Same. I think Slash has zero interest in doing VR-it seems like he's the one who pulled the plug on it, seems to enjoy working with Myles, and I'm not sure they would play much bigger venues than he's playing in now, if at all.

13 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I mean that now that they've been doing GnR successfully for 8 years I don't think they're interested in rebooting VR.

11 hours ago, Ant000 said:

There's no nostalgia for VR, and they'll never top Contraband as a cultural and musical achievement (not saying it's that great, but in terms of popularity, crossover success, winning a grammy, showing they could "do it again," securing a really lucrative record contract etc.). Libertad was a flop, the whole thing became poisonous between the guys (and their wives?), Scott is dead... Hell VR almost didn't get off the ground until Scott walked in the door. They'd probably never find "the singer" again at this point. And if they did, they'd probably be better off with a new name and clean slate. 

10 hours ago, Ericstacey said:

Same. I think Slash has zero interest in doing VR-it seems like he's the one who pulled the plug on it, seems to enjoy working with Myles, and I'm not sure they would play much bigger venues than he's playing in now, if at all.

Yeah once SMKC got going he probably decided that he preferred that to trying to redo VR, especially since he was playing some VR songs too back then. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Does it? I thought they were all on decent enough terms with each other? Obviously the Scott Weiland thing casts a shadow, but I can honestly see them doing VR again in some form. 

Hell, bring in Fortus, Dizzy and Melissa as well! That might give Axl a kick up the arse.

Matt would probably love to reform VR, because it was the one band that he felt as "his" band.

I don't think Slash and Duff would have any interest in it again, though. Especially Slash. The reason VR didn't continue with another singer was because Slash didn't want to continue that band.

• Like 3

I find it funny when people say SMKC is uninspired and then say his best work is a COVER.

Not slamming the cover, I love it, but you can't say him doing someone else's song is more inspired than something wholly original. Just say you don't like it, that's okay

6 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

I find it funny when people say SMKC is uninspired and then say his best work is a COVER.

Not slamming the cover, I love it, but you can't say him doing someone else's song is more inspired than something wholly original. Just say you don't like it, that's okay

why can't you say that, though about a cover? you put something of yourself as a musician in a cover as well.

• Like 2

Crazy how Slash released an album with SMKC and now this since GN'R reunited, meanwhile GN'R just released leftovers(crappy ones at that). 

Maybe Axl really needs to have the stars aligned or whatever before he can do something, as Steven Tyler wrote in his book. 

• Like 2