The T.V. Show Thread

Georgy Zhukov

16 hours ago, megaguns1982 said:

Just finished watching season 1 of westworld, wtf was that? I’m not saying it was bad, it was just hard for me to follow, maybe I’m getting old and need to watch it again. Fucked if I know

Yeah, weird, but I did like this first season. The second season was horrible so I stopped watching it.

There was a third season this year and reviews were great, but I didn't go back to watching it.

If you've watched the movie from the 70's called Westworld, it will make more sense to you.

I watched:

See No Evil

Seinfeld

I've more or less run out of TV shows to watch with having spent so much time at home. My wife has me watching a show that aired on CBS called Criminal Minds. I'm partly through season 2 so far. The writing is T E R R I B L E and the acting isn't much better haha. Again though, there's not much else to watch.

• Haha 1

Alaskan survival shows. We have,

Deadliest Catch. My favourite of the bunch. Fisherman off the Aleutian Islands fishing for King Crab in what surely must be the world's deadliest occupation. Very blokish stuff. Lots of back-breaking work and swearing alongside a fair bit of bullying of ''greenhorns'', young recruits, by grizzled old sea dogs. 

Alaska: The Last Frontier. This show is also good and features an extended family of homesteaders doing ''homesteady'' things, shooting deer, fishing, shooting bear, planting stuff, shooting mountain goats, and so forth. Very home spun, but believable unlike the following Alaskan Bush People. I like the country theme song.

Alaskan Bush People. Similar to above but more jokey, and there is this big controversy on whether it is real or not (a few of the family, it transpired, have twitter accounts!). Basically an extended family, the Browns, of nomadic-hippy types who live in the bush. They all have different characters, the joker, the serious one, the one who likes to climb trees, etc etc. It is probably quasi-fake but still enjoyable.

Dirty John: Betty story It's the second season of Dirty John. The first season was awesome.

This story is interesting too. I just found out a few things about the Betty character, so i'll be interesting to see how she went from loving wife to killer. lol

Honestly, the two episodes I watched so far were good and I know it was the 60's and 70's and 80's, but her husband treated her like she was his maid instead of his wife.

My grandparents lived and were married since the 50's, but my poppy never disrespect or made my grandma feel like she was nothing more than a housewife.

Anyway, it's a pretty good show so far. Amanda Peet and Christian Slater play the married couple.

Finished watching all 3 seasons of The Leftovers. I haven't been so moved by a TV show in such a long time. The writing, the acting, the directing, etc is so full of emotion. Only had 28 episodes but there is not one second of it wasted or feels padded out. It mixes in existentialism, the supernatural, comedic moments, desperation, religion, etc. It's a show that doesn't answer what happened to the 2% of the world population that vanished but how they are dealing with it. That answer of the 2% doesn't even need a tidy wrapped up ending because it is ultimately not important.  It is perfectly balanced. It's a shame that the only DVD releases are in PAL format.

Catching up on Nashville, before it gets yanked from Amazon. While I'm not a country fan, I find myself quite liking that show. Quite soapy, but entertaining. And the music is not that bad either. Kinda amazing that all these actors can sing and actually have nice voices.

Before that I've been rewatching Baywatch (whenever shows are about to leave Amazon, I feel compelled to watch them). I kinda dropped out of Baywatch in the early 90's, but it was fun to catch up. 9 Seasons in 3 weeks. :blink::facepalm: Season 1 is still my favourite though. Most shocking for me though is the fact that all those seasons are between 20 and 30 years old. Where the hell did that time go?

On 28.5.2020 at 5:32 AM, megaguns1982 said:

Just finished watching season 1 of westworld, wtf was that? I’m not saying it was bad, it was just hard for me to follow, maybe I’m getting old and need to watch it again. Fucked if I know

Yeah. Kinda had the same feeling.

Edited by PatrickS77

10 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Before that I've been rewatching Baywatch (whenever shows are about to leave Amazon, I feel compelled to watch them). I kinda dropped out of Baywatch in the early 90's, but it was fun to catch up. 9 Seasons in 3 weeks. :blink::facepalm: Season 1 is still my favourite though. 

As a 90's kid, I grew up with shows like Baywatch. I think the first two seasons pre-Pamela were somewhat decent when they had more serious storylines, but after season 2 when they almost got cancelled, it became all about ratings and eye candy, with dreadful acting and storylines. For a kid probably still entertaining, but I can't imagine as an adult even remotely enjoying any of that now.

• Like 1

Just now, EvanG said:

As a 90's kid, I grew up with shows like Baywatch. I think the first two seasons pre-Pamela were somewhat decent when they had more serious storylines, but after season 2 when they almost got cancelled, it became all about ratings and eye candy, with dreadful acting and storylines. For a kid probably still entertaining, but I can't imagine as an adult even remotely enjoying any of that now.

Actually they got cancelled after season 1. Then Hasselhoff and the creators took over, bought the show back, produced it themselves and brought it back not missing a beat. Yeah. The first 2 seasons are slightly different than later years. And yes, the simple things that always ended up with people having to be dramatically rescued with the lifeguards always having to breathe the life in the victim's bodies in the nick of time, the video montages and the sharks (didn't realize that there were so many episodes that featured sharks), become a bit tedious, but the storylines, even though on the light side, are actually entertaining, even after all these years. Since I can't go to the beach this year and also like Santa Monica/Venice/Malibu a lot, I had my beach fix, which is very welcome. Surprisingly there are many socially/environmentaly conscious storylines sprinkled throughout all seasons, which you actually wouldn't expect from a dumb show nicknamed Babewatch, so it actually is not just eye candy. 

3 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Actually they got cancelled after season 1. Then Hasselhoff and the creators took over, bought the show back, produced it themselves and brought it back not missing a beat. Yeah. The first 2 seasons are slightly different than later years. And yes, the simple things that always ended up with people having to be dramatically rescued with the lifeguards always having to breathe the life in the victim's bodies in the nick of time, the video montages and the sharks (didn't realize that there were so many episodes that featured sharks), become a bit tedious, but the storylines, even though on the light side, are actually entertaining, even after all these years. Since I can't go to the beach this year and also like Santa Monica/Venice/Malibu a lot, I had my beach fix, which is very welcome. Surprisingly there are many socially/environmentaly conscious storylines sprinkled throughout all seasons, which you actually wouldn't expect from a dumb show nicknamed Babewatch, so it actually is not just eye candy. 

Ah, ok, I've got it all mixed up... I also thought that the actors who played Eddie and Shauni were only there for the first two seasons, but I just read that they also did season 3. The show was probably at its best when that lawyer guy was still in it who couldn't make up his mind about being a lawyer or a lifeguard. The episodes I will never forget are the ones where one of them dies due to a shark attack and the one where Eddie sees a mysterious woman running on the beach at the end of the day, and it reminds him of his sister, so he goes looking for her. Both of them freaked me out as a young kid. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Ah, ok, I've got it all mixed up... I also thought that the actors who played Eddie and Shauni were only there for the first two seasons, but I just read that they also did season 3. The show was probably at its best when that lawyer guy was still in it who couldn't make up his mind about being a lawyer or a lifeguard. The episodes I will never forget are the ones where one of them dies due to a shark attack and the one where Eddie sees a mysterious woman running on the beach at the end of the day, and it reminds him of his sister, so he goes looking for her. Both of them freaked me out as a young kid. 

Yeah. They were on the show until episode 2 of season 3. Shame they left. I think the show hit their stride in the latter half of the first season, when they added John D. Cort. That episode with the 3 of them in Mexico (with the lawyer Craig), was hilarious. A shame both Craig and John only appeared as rare guests from Season 2 on. Yeah. That first shark episode was something. Back then I was so mad that Jill survived that shark attack and then they just let her die offscreen.

• Like 1

ER.  Got caught up on it these past few months.  Used to watch it for a few years, then lost interest.  So now I've seen the 9 years or so that I didn't watch back in the day.  Reminded me of what a great show it was.  And I love Linda Cardelini.  

I watched Anderson Cooper's interview with doctors regarding the corona virus and how bats carry it.

Man, the film showed the Chinese markets unloading all these different animals and birds all stuffed in cages and on top of one another.

One doctor said this could have caused the other animals to get infected from the bats and passed it onto humans.

I saw all living animals. So does this mean the Chinese open air markets sell living animals to people and then you have to kill and cook them? OMG!

Anyway, Anderson said scientists were studying these bats and hoping that maybe since they can live with the corona virus, a vaccine could be made from what can be learned from this.

It freaked me out.

Top Chef season 17

Just watched the restaurant wars episode. So stressful! Who under-salted the cod?!?!?!

Spoiler

The guy who did a southern plantation themed restaurant lost and was sent home :lol: And they are removing the statue of him as we speak :lol:

3 hours ago, soon said:

Top Chef season 17

Just watched the restaurant wars episode. So stressful! Who under-salted the cod?!?!?!

Reveal hidden contents

The guy who did a southern plantation themed restaurant lost and was sent home :lol: And they are removing the statue of him as we speak :lol:

I think every since Gordon Ramsey got on the scene, all the chefs are yelling at the cooks now too! lol

I watched Dirty John: The Betty Brodrick story.

God her husband was such a prick. So arrogant and it seemed all his male friends were the same way. I feel sorry for Betty, but I've since read after she killed her ex husband and his new tramp of a wife, that jail has finally freed her. Honestly, if I had a husband like that I would have killed him too. Even her two daughters were traitors. They stayed with the dad because he gave them everything they wanted. Her sons were on her side. I know this story was from the 60's to the 80's, but not all man were pricks to their wives like this guy was.

Still a Mystery So sad how they can't find their family members killers. it would make me crazy.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I think every since Gordon Ramsey got on the scene, all the chefs are yelling at the cooks now too! lol

Lol I think you’re right about that! Haha

that might be why I like online cooking shows better - often it’s just one person so no fights! Or if there’s two they always act like best friends, lol.

23 hours ago, soon said:

Lol I think you’re right about that! Haha

that might be why I like online cooking shows better - often it’s just one person so no fights! Or if there’s two they always act like best friends, lol.

I know I feel badly for those chefs. I mean it takes a lot of courage and talent to be cooking with Gordon Ramsey. I don't think yelling and cursing on them doesn't help them. I would think he would encourage them to do better. I guess it's all about the drama!