Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

16 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Overall the vocals are still good. My point is, on certain songs, and not few, even a douchebag non-talent like Constantine gives Axl a run for his money. However some people here actually consider those vocals to be "great" so what can ya say?

It is baffling.... Even the songs he sounds good on, he doesn't sound great.... I try to watch videos from the NITL tour and can't even make it through the majority of them.. Either due to his voice or the overall performance of the songs by the band in general.. I still go to the shows and have a great time.. But they definitely aren't the great band they once were.  Thank God for Slash because he is consistently a beast for 3 hours almost every show..

If people want to see greatness go watch that Saskatoon Canada show.. I can sit and watch the whole two hours of that no problem while I can hardly make it though a whole song from the NITL tour..

I do however applaud Axl for showing up every night and giving it 100%.. I believe the vocal issues are for the most part out of his control.. Not due to a lack of effort...

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Why can't people just accept that singers like Axl tend to burn out relatively early in their careers. I don't know jack about singing but the way he did it back in the day can't be good for you long term. Same thing that happened to Cornell, Brian Johnson, Hetfield, etc. Going to a show nowadays is still awesome, but I don't watch youtube clips of current GnR, only classic stuff, and that's for a reason.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Why can't people just accept that singers like Axl tend to burn out relatively early in their careers. I don't know jack about singing but the way he did it back in the day can't be good for you long term. Same thing that happened to Cornell, Brian Johnson, Hetfield, etc. Going to a show nowadays is still awesome, but I don't watch youtube clips of current GnR, only classic stuff, and that's for a reason.

Well Brian Johnsons singing was bad in the laat tour, but before that he was still great (not his best, but great), about Hetfield - well - he changed his singing style few times - 1st during 90s when he stopped using screams only... during death magnetic he was still good, few years he lost power and started to crack, but during recording HTSD album he worjes on his voice and now he seems closest to his 90s voice in years... but none of them did to his voice things Axl did during UYI and S&B tours....

Also none of them had that big gaps in touring or recording like Axl did... None of them plays 3+ hours sets night after night. Well Metallica has exact number of shows per year to oreserve their strenght and voice due to age...

On topic, I heard SOYL on the radio for the first time today. The DJ announced Guns n Roses Shadow of Your Love! I rocked out while on the tractor. There's nothing better than hearing your favorite band with a new song on the radio. Even if that song is 30 yrs old. For a little while I was 20 again and just waiting for it to come back on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

But that's the frustrating part, Axl has not burned out, or he wouldn't have been able to do what he did in 2016, singing like a 1981 Brian Johnson on songs like Shoot To Thrill. If he truly was burned out he wouldn't have been able to even get close to how he performed there. Look no further than a guy like Jon Bon Jovi who truly has lost his voice and is burned out.

Nevertheless it is ridiculous how people still want to defend and still think those Axl vocals a few posts above sound better than Constantines butchering..dear god. And that they sound "great". He sounds like an old woman for gods sake, if you want to hear what he should sound like just look no further than how he sings ISE or CD or ACDC. He still has it in him but he won't use it for whatever reason. Maybe because he thinks all the fans appreciate that voice from satans deepest level of hell just as much as his usual vocal style that he still uses(!), and as evident in this thread, where people come out and say how it sounds great. That might be all the feedback he gets because no one has the balls to tell him how bad it is. It is not due to lack of ability. And thus the vicious cycle continues..and we end up with performances like the ones I posted earlier. Great, huh?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

But that's the frustrating part, Axl has not burned out, or he wouldn't have been able to do what he did in 2016, singing like a 1981 Brian Johnson on songs like Shoot To Thrill. If he truly was burned out he wouldn't have been able to even get close to how he performed there. Look no further than a guy like Jon Bon Jovi who truly has lost his voice and is burned out.

Nevertheless it is ridiculous how people still want to defend and still think those Axl vocals a few posts above sound better than Constantines butchering..dear god. And that they sound "great". He sounds like an old woman for gods sake, if you want to hear what he should sound like just look no further than how he sings ISE or CD or ACDC. He still has it in him but he won't use it for whatever reason. Maybe because he thinks all the fans appreciate that voice from satans deepest level of hell just as much as his usual vocal style that he still uses(!), and as evident in this thread, where people come out and say how it sounds great. That might be all the feedback he gets because no one has the balls to tell him how bad it is. It is not due to lack of ability. And thus the vicious cycle continues..and we end up with performances like the ones I posted earlier. Great, huh?

Ok so either he's tanking it, or the GnR songs that he struggles with are just harder for him to sing with his current voice. I think it's more the latter than the former.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Just a FYI. I went to see Bon Jovi a week and half ago at Madison Square Garden. That was the third Bon Jovi concert I attended. He may not have the same voice as he did in 2001, but he can still sing and put on a good show. When I saw AC/DC with Brian Johnson for the third time at MetLife Stadium in 2015, it was very clear he was mailing it in with his performance. I'm not sure if it  had to do with his hearing issues or being burned out, but he was lacking in energy and his voice wasn't  good at all compared to the previous two other times that I saw AC/DC with Brian Johnson.

I saw Axl sing three times in the last two years (twice with GNR & once with AC/DC). He sounded great all three times. I've watched the YouTube videos. I really don't think they do him justice.  He still has that passion in him and can sing. 

I think people need to temper their expectations just a bit. The older singers may not be able to sing like they did 15, 20, 30 years ago. However, if they put on a show that they have passion for, it'll help with their vocal performance. 

Edited by Draguns
typo

16 hours ago, -Jaro- said:

Well Brian Johnsons singing was bad in the laat tour, but before that he was still great (not his best, but great), about Hetfield - well - he changed his singing style few times - 1st during 90s when he stopped using screams only... during death magnetic he was still good, few years he lost power and started to crack, but during recording HTSD album he worjes on his voice and now he seems closest to his 90s voice in years... but none of them did to his voice things Axl did during UYI and S&B tours....

Also none of them had that big gaps in touring or recording like Axl did... None of them plays 3+ hours sets night after night. Well Metallica has exact number of shows per year to oreserve their strenght and voice due to age...

Dave Mustaine took a heavy hit to his vocal range also in the past decade, there was a point where it became comparable to the worst of Axl's Mickey moments.  Most of the time, bands will change up the tuning of songs so the vocalist can sing in a more comfortable range.

I'd love to see GNR drop the tuning on some songs, make them a bit heavier so Axl can go a bit deeper and more forceful into his delivery :axl: I've noticed it a few times during NITL, where Axl will intentionally sing some songs in a lower register such as Better and YCBM

I'd love to be able to buy the Shadow 7" vinyl with the live version of Whole Lotta Rosie from The Marquee as a B-side without paying for the Locked N' Loaded box! 

Edited by youngswedishvinyl
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

I'd love to be able to buy the Shadow 7" vinyl with the live of Whole Lotta Rosie from The Marquee as a B-side without paying for the Locked N' Loaded box! 

Me too, Id love to have all the vinyls actually but not paying a thousand bucks. 

I live in Brazil and converting it to brazilian real (our currency) it turns into almost R$4k. R$4000 here is like four to five months of hard work for the average pleb. 

Just heard the GnR Central piece on Steven thinking Shadow was rerecorded.  Interesting.  I'll add that Slash's lead lick sounds a lot like a Les Paul.  It's a long shot.........The time frame would be close, but Slash mentions in his book when they started appetite he only had Jackson and BC Rich guitars (having pawned / sold the Hunter Les Paul).  It's possible he had the Hunter for Clinks try out, then sold it after.  I guess we'll never know.  I'll check Marc's book for a timeline....