Apparently Slash is asking reporters to sign contracts before interviews

11 hours ago, RONIN said:

I can't believe bands like Limp Bizkit and Korn are still around and headlining in this day and age. Crazy.

Those bands were a joke nearly 20 years ago when I was a teen in high school. Nostalgia run amok I say.  

I didnt think limp bizcut had the same popularity compared to say 2000"s when they were very popular. They were popular here in oz but for all the wrong reasons.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh.com.au/national/limp-bizkit-gig-organisers-slammed-over-teen-fans-death-20021109-gdfsya.html

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, RONIN said:

I can't believe bands like Limp Bizkit and Korn are still around and headlining in this day and age. Crazy.

Those bands were a joke nearly 20 years ago when I was a teen in high school. Nostalgia run amok I say.  

I think it’s a combination of nostalgia and the fact that those bands were the very last of the “poster” era.

Back when labels pushed their bands with huge momentum resulting in ubiquitous name recognition and high profile.

Many great acts came after but never again would ride the wave of  zeigest like those fostered by MTV and the record label.

It’s interesting to try and imagine who the modern day “poster” bands would have been had their been a real industry to hold them up.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, RONIN said:

A band like Korn deserves a lot more respect than what Axl did with Guns N'Roses. They have been dropping albums since the 90's almost every single year, and Korn have some great albums. Seeing the music landscape today, we should have supported the "New Metal era" when it was on, instead of kicking it in the curb. At least we would still have some type of Rock N'Roll in town in 2018. Since we didn't do that, now we have to take with the likes of Nicky Minaj, Justin Bieber, Demi Lovato, and all that crappy trap rap music scene...

Also you can dispute that a song like Silkworms, scraped or Shackler's Revenge sounds "New Metalish". To me it's Axl's attempt to fit in with the New Metal era.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

I can't believe bands like Guns N' Roses are still around and headlining in this day and age. Crazy.

Walked right into that one didn't I 

6 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

I think it’s a combination of nostalgia and the fact that those bands were the very last of the “poster” era.

Back when labels pushed their bands with huge momentum resulting in ubiquitous name recognition and high profile.

Many great acts came after but never again would ride the wave of  zeigest like those fostered by MTV and the record label.

It’s interesting to try and imagine who the modern day “poster” bands would have been had their been a real industry to hold them up.

Interesting point. The last band I recall having that kind of heavy push was Linkin Park in the early 00's. 

1 hour ago, Propaganda said:

A band like Korn deserves a lot more respect than what Axl did with Guns N'Roses.

Hard to disagree there. But nearly any functional band out there deserves more respect than GnR. Even Aqua was more productive in the 00's than Axl.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, RONIN said:

Walked right into that one didn't I 

Interesting point. The last band I recall having that kind of heavy push was Linkin Park in the early 00's. 

Hard to disagree there. But nearly any functional band out there deserves more respect than GnR. Even Aqua was more productive in the 00's than Axl.

:facepalm::rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

On 9/1/2018 at 10:11 PM, RONIN said:

That Snakepit question that he tried to dodge was pretty embarrassing. Poor Saul...:no:

Why? I think a lot of you make poor assumptions. I see a lot of accusations of Slash, Duff, Axl or whomever lying. It's possible these guys just recall things incorrectly, ya know? This stuff all happened a quarter of a century ago. When pretty much each of them had serious substance abuse issues (among other issues) going on.

My wife and I argue about things that happened just 2 months ago and often have differing recollections. Perhaps these guys aren't purposely lying at all. Perhaps none of these guys can accurately recall all these past events and we're still only getting partial truths even when all the stories are combined. Hell, even former managers, publicists, friends, associates, etc. of the band in those days can't seem recall or tell a story the same way twice.

It's not uncommon at all for people to "misremember" past events and over time the ever-changing, distorted recollection becomes their reality. They may be wrong, but not purposely so.

In the end, all we're really left with is to choose who and what we want to believe in. In most instances, we're just never gonna know the real truth. We just choose to believe that we do.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 3

On 9/2/2018 at 9:47 AM, El Guapo said:

Speaking of huge, can anybody confirm that Richard Fortus' nickname within the band is "Fortus Longus" because of his huge schlong?

Not sure what this has to do with Slash having interviewers sign contracts.  If you are interested in this, become a groupie and find out.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Not sure what this has to do with Slash having interviewers sign contracts.  If you are interested in this, become a groupie and find out.

He's married now so good luck with that 😂😂😂

Or I guess you could just ask his wife...

Edited by MaskingApathy

Interesting lil side note: That Rolling Stone interview, in the printed edition just mailed to me today, it is HEAVILY edited. I know thats fairly common, but the aforementioned "embarrassing" questions/answers are nowhere to be found.

Nothing about Brian Hiatt calling Slash out on the first Snakepit Record, how Axl and Duff both rejected the songs, and whether or not any of those were intended for GNR. Slash basically denies it, playing a little bit dumb and gets hit with the hilariously direct "You said that, in your book"...o

Nothing about new material or if it's true Axl said "Specifically, he said... he played you and Duff new songs, he may end up on them", to which Slash replied "Ya know what? I'm not lighting that fuse".

and more interestingly, Hiatts own question was edited. The one about "I really enjoy seeing you play the Chinese Democracy tracks"  now simply reads "How is it playing the Chinese Democracy tracks?". Ugh. Seriously??? No love for CD. Ever. At least not lately. 

No Izzy questions nor anything about how he and Axl reconciled after so many years W/Slash's non-anwser.

So in other words, the most interesting parts conducted in this interview (in my opinion, anyways) have miraculously disappeared.

Interesting. Disappointing, too. 

Edited by Estrangedfx
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Estrangedfx said:

Interesting lil side note: That Rolling Stone interview, in the printed edition just mailed to me today, it is HEAVILY edited. I know thats fairly common, but the aforementioned "embarrassing" questions/answers are nowhere to be found.

Nothing about Brian Hiatt calling Slash out on the first Snakepit Record, how Axl and Duff both rejected the songs, and whether or not any of those were intended for GNR. Slash basically denies it, playing a little bit dumb and gets hit with the hilariously direct "You said that, in your book"...

Nothing about Velvet Revolver being "no fun", nothing about new material or if it's true Axl said "Specifically, he said... he played you and Duff new songs, he may end up on them", to which Slash replied "Ya know what? I'm not lighting that fuse".

and more interestingly, Hiatts own question was edited. The one about "I really enjoy seeing you play the Chinese Democracy tracks"  now simply reads "How is it playing the Chinese Democracy tracks?". Ugh. Seriously??? No love for CD. Ever. At least not lately. 

No Izzy questions nor anything about how he and Axl reconciled after so many years W/Slash's non-anwser.

So in other words, the most interesting parts conducted in this interview (in my opinion, anyways) have miraculously disappeared.

Coincidentally, most of these are the questions in the RS interview Slash complained to Eddie Trunk about. And they are mostly questions that made Slash look "bad" or brought him in an awkward position, not Axl.

Probably that's what the contract is about: He has the right to verify the accuracy of the transcription of the recording, also to review and edit the interview.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Estrangedfx said:

They are still intact in the online version :confused: and I hope it remains that way because it is the best interview in a long time.

I wonder why someone who buys the printed magazine would get a heavily edited version compared to reading it online.

I'd totally protest and ask my money back!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Estrangedfx said:

Nothing about Brian Hiatt calling Slash out on the first Snakepit Record, how Axl and Duff both rejected the songs, and whether or not any of those were intended for GNR. Slash basically denies it, playing a little bit dumb and gets hit with the hilariously direct "You said that, in your book"...

Nothing about Velvet Revolver being "no fun", nothing about new material or if it's true Axl said "Specifically, he said... he played you and Duff new songs, he may end up on them", to which Slash replied "Ya know what? I'm not lighting that fuse".

Wow, thanks for the heads up. Note to self- only read the online articles. Damn! <_<

Edited by marlingrl03
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, killuridols said:

It's highly unlikely that any big media outlet would allow Slash to only talk about his new album and zero Guns N' Roses.

Slash would be pretty naive to think of that and I'm sure he isn't.

Because he never made it on his own in said media outlets?

Just now, Free Bird said:

Because he never made it on his own in said media outlets?

The only reason why Slash ever got to do his solo shit is because of Guns N' Roses.

He's attached to that band forever, whether he likes it or not and he knows it.

Expecting to be forgotten as a GN'R member, especially after you've reunited and are part of said millionaire tour, is sort of.... dumb.

It's not uncommon for interviews to be edited when re-printed or re-issued.

Something somewhat similar had happened with at least one interview of the Velvet Revolver era.

This interview with Total Guitar from April 2004

http://www.slashparadise.com/media/interviews-slash/velvet-revolver-total-guitar-april-2004.pdf

was reprinted a few months later (December 2004) in a special edition issue on Slash (page 52 of the pdf):

http://www.slashparadise.com/media/interviews-slash/the-ultimate-guitar-outlaw-guitar-legends-december-2004.pdf

And some questions and comments in the original interview were edited or removed in the reprint. For example, in the original interview Slash was asked if Stone Temple Pilots had influenced things in VR and Slash answered that he wasn't aware of STP until Scott joined VR and after that he didn't want to listen to them and be influenced; both the question and answer were removed in the reprint. There was also a part where Slash and Duff said that VR didn't have things in common musically with bands like Korn and Linkin Park but talked positively about those bands saying they were cool and had an attitude; in the reprint the positive part was removed.

Edited by Blackstar

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

It's highly unlikely that any big media outlet would allow Slash to only talk about his new album and zero Guns N' Roses.

Slash would be pretty naive to think of that and I'm sure he isn't.

No, he wouldn't. The agenda for him is to push the new album. The agenda for the media is to secure an interview to continue to build their content.

If they don't want to discuss his newest work, then there's no interview. While Slash wants to push his album, I'm sure he's fine doing no interview at all if it comes down to it. The media still needs content regardless. They have pages to fill.

They may want to talk about other stuff, but that's them being naive if they think he wants or has to talk about any of it.

The celebrity is in the power position here, not the media outlet. Especially in this day and age of social media.

Edited by thunderram
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, thunderram said:

No, he wouldn't. The agenda for him is to push the new album. The agenda for the media is to secure an interview to continue to build their content.

If they don't want to discuss his newest work, then there's no interview. While Slash wants to push his album, I'm sure he's fine doing no interview at all if it comes down to it. The media still needs content regardless. They have pages to fill.

They may want to talk about other stuff, but that's them being naive if they think he wants or has to talk about any of it.

The celebrity is in the power position here, not the media outlet. Especially in this day and age of social media.

So gullible! You clearly have no idea how media works :lol:

Slash needs to sell his album AND TICKETS TO HIS SHOWS, as much as the magazine needs to sell mags. They feed each other and they make agreements.

However, a powerhouse like Rolling Stone, with decades of prestige and history on their shoulders certainly don't need Slash to sell more mags. They don't live off Slash. They have thousands of artists from all over the world wanting to get just some little space in their pages (or website). If Slash was going to never give them an interview again they will survive, be sure of that ;)

Slash and none of Guns N' Roses are in any power position here AT ALL. Especially when they are not in the peak of their career anymore. Actually, this is the moment when they will need more help of media and in the subsequent decades, if they want to remain relevant for longer time.

16 minutes ago, killuridols said:

So gullible! You clearly have no idea how media works :lol:

Slash needs to sell his album AND TICKETS TO HIS SHOWS, as much as the magazine needs to sell mags. They feed each other and they make agreements.

However, a powerhouse like Rolling Stone, with decades of prestige and history on their shoulders certainly don't need Slash to sell more mags. They don't live off Slash. They have thousands of artists from all over the world wanting to get just some little space in their pages (or website). If Slash was going to never give them an interview again they will survive, be sure of that ;)

Slash and none of Guns N' Roses are in any power position here AT ALL. Especially when they are not in the peak of their career anymore. Actually, this is the moment when they will need more help of media and in the subsequent decades, if they want to remain relevant for longer time.

A lot of this is true but the fact that the band has done ZERO interviews essentially since the "reunion" which is a huge tour, every outlet would love to be the one that broke some juicy tidbit and raised some drama....because that's how media works, especially now when everyone is just after click bait and a juicy headline.

3 minutes ago, Stiff Competition said:

A lot of this is true but the fact that the band has done ZERO interviews essentially since the "reunion" which is a huge tour, every outlet would love to be the one that broke some juicy tidbit and raised some drama....because that's how media works, especially now when everyone is just after click bait and a juicy headline.

I don't agree.

In the last decade or so, both the fans and media were pleading to have the real Guns N' Roses back, or at the least, have Slash back playing with Axl. This was evident in the reviews of the nuGn'R shows, for example.

No one wants them to break up again.... maybe in the late 90's, mid 00's, when problems were still fresh, some people giggled at the "cancer" or "wig wearing" comments, but two decades after this famous fight has ran its course.

Guys like Mick Wall and other journalists from that time are in their way of retirement now, just like the Guns N' Roses members. There are new young people in the newsrooms, most of them don't give a heck about Guns N' Roses. The world doesn't revolve around Guns N' Roses anymore.

Grandpas feuds do not attract headlines or clickbaits at all. Ask any entertainment media website which artists and celebrities bring the clicks nowadays and all of you will be like "who the hell is that? I've never heard of them before!". Yeah, time has passed for all of us. :rolleyes:

The tour is huge because it is part of a bigger trend called 'Nostalgia'.... Old bands reunite and there's an audience for that because people do not want to age, they want to relive their youth through these shows. But this nostalgia shit will fade away too, like all things that come and go.