The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

8 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

When it comes to music and recording/production, I'm not an amateur. When listening to it, there's certain things that make it really obvious that it was recorded in 2018 or so and not 1986. Even though Fernando and the rest of the band says otherwise, it was definitely rerecorded within the last couple years.

This. And I am an amateur, but I know a bit about recording music and professional audio.

Also, they don't even recognize Axl rerecorded the Live Era album. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

When it comes to music and recording/production, I'm not an amateur. When listening to it, there's certain things that make it really obvious that it was recorded in 2018 or so and not 1986. Even though Fernando and the rest of the band says otherwise, it was definitely rerecorded within the last couple years.

What are these things then?

6 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Also, they don't even recognize Axl rerecorded the Live Era album. 

Who doesn't? Is there a quote from Fernando or someone saying Axl didn't re-record vocals for Live Era? I've never seen it, but it wouldn't surprise me :lol:

Until someone can prove otherwise, I still think SOYL is just remixed/remastered, and not re-recorded. Especially not the vocals.

22 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Who doesn't? Is there a quote from Fernando or someone saying Axl didn't re-record vocals for Live Era? I've never seen it, but it wouldn't surprise me :lol:

Until someone can prove otherwise, I still think SOYL is just remixed/remastered, and not re-recorded. Especially not the vocals.

No, Frank play drums e Slash play New licks in SOYL. 

Why wouldn't they be forthcoming about re-recording SOYL? It sounds excellent and likely much better than many people think NITL-era GNR is capable of -- you'd think they'd want to get credit.

Edited by Ant

On 3/23/2020 at 7:58 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

ACDC, Van Halen

Both of those bands have more recent releases than GNR lmao

And both those bands have larger discographies  and both bands have toured longer. 

Edited by Its Tino
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

What do you think they re-recorded?

I don't know if anything was... people earlier in the thread were saying it was obvious to them that it was. Doesn't seem obvious to me -- remixing nowadays can be pretty dramatic in terms of modernizing recordings. I was just listening to the 2019 remix of Whitesnake's Slide It In -- was recorded almost 40 years ago and sounds very new. 

My point was it would be weird for them to recorded it in 2018 and not say so -- you would think they'd want to get the credit for doing so and proving they can record quality stuff in the NITL configuration.

Edited by Ant

2 hours ago, Ant said:

Why wouldn't they be forthcoming about re-recording SOYL? It sounds excellent and likely much better than many people think NITL-era GNR is capable of -- you'd think they'd want to get credit.

Im surprised they didn't say yes its rerecorded, i mean why keep it quiet. They could have used that as promo for the 2018 european leg

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, El Guapo said:

What are these things then?

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

2 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

What do you think they re-recorded?

Even though I said I'm not going to get into it right now, here's the short list of reasons:

The closest recordings for comparison are the Live Like a Suicide and Sound City versions of SOYL. So after listening to that it's pretty clear that:

Slash's tone is completely different (it's his current NITL Silver Jubilee tone) and his playing is not like how he used to play back in the 80s, it sounds like his playing now, Duff's tone is different (NITL tone), timbre of Axl's voice is different - sounds like how he sounds now and not the timbre of his old voice, Frank (or whoever is playing the drums) is playing slightly differently than Steven originally did (specifically the 2 crash cymbal hits in succession in the verses, Steven never did that) and also to me the drums sound like Frank's kit does from the tour (specifically the snare and ride cymbal). Watch one of the videos of them performing SOYL in 2018 and listen to how Slash's guitar sounds and how Axl sings it. Sounds very close to this new recording. To me this is more than a shadow of a doubt that it's rerecorded, or that they just slapped a new guitar solo or something on it. That's way too many differences for it to be an old recording. I remember when they had that website teaser up with the main riff of the song playing and those radio static noises over it, even then I thought that it didn't sound right.

2 hours ago, Ant said:

I don't know if anything was... people earlier in the thread were saying it was obvious to them that it was. Doesn't seem obvious to me -- remixing nowadays can be pretty dramatic in terms of modernizing recordings. I was just listening to the 2019 remix of Whitesnake's Slide It In -- was recorded almost 40 years ago and sounds very new. 

My point was it would be weird for them to recorded it in 2018 and not say so -- you would think they'd want to get the credit for doing so and proving they can record quality stuff in the NITL configuration.

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im surprised they didn't say yes its rerecorded, i mean why keep it quiet. They could have used that as promo for the 2018 european leg

I don't know why they wanted to pass it off as an old original recording, or why they even decided to rerecord it in the first place. Maybe there was something wrong with the original tapes or something.

5 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Even though I said I'm not going to get into it right now, here's the short list of reasons:

The closest recordings for comparison are the Live Like a Suicide and Sound City versions of SOYL. So after listening to that it's pretty clear that:

Slash's tone is completely different (it's his current NITL Silver Jubilee tone) and his playing is not like how he used to play back in the 80s, it sounds like his playing now, Duff's tone is different (NITL tone), timbre of Axl's voice is different - sounds like how he sounds now and not the timbre of his old voice, Frank (or whoever is playing the drums) is playing slightly differently than Steven originally did (specifically the 2 crash cymbal hits in succession in the verses, Steven never did that) and also to me the drums sound like Frank's kit does from the tour (specifically the snare and ride cymbal). Watch one of the videos of them performing SOYL in 2018 and listen to how Slash's guitar sounds and how Axl sings it. Sounds very close to this new recording. To me this is more than a shadow of a doubt that it's rerecorded, or that they just slapped a new guitar solo or something on it. That's way too many differences for it to be an old recording. I remember when they had that website teaser up with the main riff of the song playing and those radio static noises over it, even then I thought that it didn't sound right.

I don't know why they wanted to pass it off as an old original recording, or why they even decided to rerecord it in the first place. Maybe there was something wrong with the original tapes or something.

Im wondering it was a duff/axl/slash decision to redo it. Also steven has publically said he thinks its been recorded because the drum sound is not from his playing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Im wondering it was a duff/axl/slash decision to redo it. Also steven has publically said he thinks its been recorded because the drum sound is not from his playing.

I don't doubt that part of the instrumentals must be new or some cut we've never heard, but Axl doesn't have that mid range in his voice anymore. It's just not there, listen to the way he sings the words "fun" and "one" in the first verse. Definitely young Axl. Doesn't sound like rock the rock axl

1 minute ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I don't doubt that part of the instrumentals must be new or some cut we've never heard, but Axl doesn't have that mid range in his voice anymore. It's just not there, listen to the way he sings the words "fun" and "one" in the first verse. Definitely young Axl. Doesn't sound like rock the rock axl

Agree in terms of axls vocals, i shouldn't have been quick to reply!. But yes i think the song has been rerecorded with Slash and frank and played over a remastered axl vocals.

8 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Agree in terms of axls vocals, i shouldn't have been quick to reply!. But yes i think the song has been rerecorded with Slash and frank and played over a remastered axl vocals.

Yeah, that probably sounds right. Duff sounds a little muted in the mix, to me at least, but Izzy sounds about right. god help the man that would suggest to Fortus to try and rerecord Izzy 😂

2 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Yeah, that probably sounds right. Duff sounds a little muted in the mix, to me at least, but Izzy sounds about right. god help the man that would suggest to Fortus to try and rerecord Izzy 😂

im surprised they didn't rerecord izzy actually.....to make it "NITL" official.

30 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Maybe

7 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

im surprised they didn't rerecord izzy actually.....to make it "NITL" official.

I think they did.

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Man something I wish this album could have is the combination of Axl's, Izzy's, and Duff's vocals. Listening to It's So Easy, Dust N' Bones, Patience, live all those tracks mesh well with their voices. damn shame we won't get it

The best thing about the AFD reissue was the 5.1 mix where you can hear Izzy rocking falsetto in random places. The best.

Yeah there's no way those are modern Axl vocals, I'm not sure about the instrumental being re recorded, as with technology nowadays you can pretty much do anything to a recording that would you would like to make it sound different, but Axl's vocals are definitely old. 

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I don't think Fernando was officially around back then, but I remember I read an interview (or maybe it was te AFD podcast?) with some engineer who worked on Live Era and he denied it was rerecorded. 

Not sure how would we have proof of SOYL being rerecorded tho.

7 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

I agree about Slash's tone and playing style. I also heard the main riff on the website teaser and immediatly thought it sounded different than pre-AFD and AFD era. If SOYL was just a test mix for Mike Clink, I'm pretty sure Slash would still have the guitar tone and style more like the AFD demos. Just listen to the 1986 Sound City Session, his rhythm guitar is more throaty sounding, with a colder signal. His solo sounds like his Mockingbird guitar in this sessions, but his approach to the solo is totally different too. 

Not sure about Axl and Frank overdubbing it. But this is a very different case than Rock the Rock. I believe Axl is capable to still do pretty much what he wants in a studio environment. 

Shadow of your Love even sticks out a lot when listening to the remastered AFD tracks. Of course that's because the mix wanted to make it louder and less dynamic too, but there's something about the performance that don't blend well with the other songs. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't think Fernando was officially around back then, but I remember I read an interview (or maybe it was te AFD podcast?) with some engineer who worked on Live Era and he denied it was rerecorded. 

Not sure how would we have proof of SOYL being rerecorded tho.

I agree about Slash's tone and playing style. I also heard the main riff on the website teaser and immediatly thought it sounded different than pre-AFD and AFD era. If SOYL was just a test mix for Mike Clink, I'm pretty sure Slash would still have the guitar tone and style more like the AFD demos. Just listen to the 1986 Sound City Session, his rhythm guitar is more throaty sounding, with a colder signal. His solo sounds like his Mockingbird guitar in this sessions, but his approach to the solo is totally different too. 

Not sure about Axl and Frank overdubbing it. But this is a very different case than Rock the Rock. I believe Axl is capable to still do pretty much what he wants in a studio environment. 

Shadow of your Love even sticks out a lot when listening to the remastered AFD tracks. Of course that's because the mix wanted to make it louder and less dynamic too, but there's something about the performance that don't blend well with the other songs. 

As a quick aside here....it's the version of SOYL on disc 4 of the Super Deluxe version that was released as a single right? 

8 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Man something I wish this album could have is the combination of Axl's, Izzy's, and Duff's vocals. Listening to It's So Easy, Dust N' Bones, Patience, live all those tracks mesh well with their voices. damn shame we won't get it

Their three voices (along with Shannon Hoon’s) all blend together very well on the studio version of You Ain’t the First!

11 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

As a quick aside here....it's the version of SOYL on disc 4 of the Super Deluxe version that was released as a single right? 

Yes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Their three voices (along with Shannon Hoon’s) all blend together very well on the studio version of You Ain’t the First!

Yes.

Thanks. 

In that case.....my thoughts are that it's been 'tampered with' in a studio but absolutely not re-recorded.