Gibbo

Matt Sorum's Autobiography

As much of a dick as Matt can be he has Izzy of all people on his side. 

The greed and shade is strong in the gnr camp (#gnr-Fam)

• Like 2

we gotta band together and do a pilgrimage to Izzy’s avocado farm.

we need resolution 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

As much of a dick as Matt can be he has Izzy of all people on his side. 

The greed and shade is strong in the gnr camp (#gnr-Fam)

Honestly, I think the sole reason for Matt and Izzys “friendship” is to annoy Axl.  That’s it.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

does anyone have an idea of the terms of Slash and Duffs contracts?  how long did they sign for?  just wondering how much longer they have to stay in the band. 

with Slashs divorce settlement, I've got to imagine he cant go anywhere anytime soon, but then again if that money was invested well, maybe he could leave sooner than later.  cant see him staying in a "it's just a gig" situation for much longer than he financially needs to be there.  especially if he knows it dones sound good and its creatively going nowhere.  

As long as Live Nation keeps paying them, they will keep touring.

If the slow start to ticket sales is an indication of the future, Live Nation may start cutting smaller cheques. Who knows what happens then....

6 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

If the slow start to ticket sales is an indication of the future, Live Nation may start cutting smaller cheques. Who knows what happens then....

Yes I agree.

I'm inclined to think this incarnation of GNR will end with a whimper and not a bang. There's probably no need for Slash to ever flounce again in any real sense, the GNR gigs will eventually become smaller, less lucrative and less frequent and he'll just up his other projects to keep busy. Eventually over the next couple of decades one or more of them will become too old or die and bar an initial wave of tribute type stuff that will be the end of it.

Sorry to be a bit morbid but realistically we're in the final chapter now with the first year of the reunion being the high point. If we're lucky we might get the album and few years of touring that too. But beyond that...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, FuriousStyles said:

once the cheques become smaller, Live Nation will shit out as much money as needed to get in Iz, Steve, Matt whoever, just to make sure money machine keeps rolling...You can bet Ax will introduce them as 'my brothers'.

The trick has worked out once, no need to not work out once again and secure them another 5 years of milking the 'fan's with eversame set list.

8 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

once the cheques become smaller, Live Nation will shit out as much money as needed to get in Iz, Steve, Matt whoever, just to make sure money machine keeps rolling...You can bet Ax will introduce them as 'my brothers'.

The trick has worked out once, no need to not work out once again and secure them another 5 years of milking the 'fan's with eversame set list.

Axl and Slash performing on the same stage together is what most fans care about. No one else. If you think getting Izzy, Steven, or Matt back will somehow make a big difference in revenue, you're dreaming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Of course it will generate a few more sales. They will market it as the genuine ''reunion''. That is their last card really. They'll milk this NITL half-arsed reunion for all it is worth then play that final card of getting Izzy and Adler back - maybe Matt and Gilby also, in some guest performance guise. That will give them another two years of milking.

8 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Axl and Slash performing on the same stage together is what most fans care about. No one else. If you think getting Izzy, Steven, or Matt back will somehow make a big difference in revenue, you're dreaming.

if you are stuck in 2016 - yes.  If you wake up in 2020, figure out theses are the times of Corona and those two share the stage since 2020, maybe you will figure out that trick has worn off.

The next trick up LN sleeve once it wears off completely is - 'The Grand AFD 5 + Dizzy reunion tour'.

I thought you would know better by now ;)

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Of course it will generate a few more sales. They will market it as the genuine ''reunion''. That is their last card really. They'll milk this NITL half-arsed reunion for all it is worth then play that final card of getting Izzy and Adler back - maybe Matt and Gilby also, in some guest performance guise. That will give them another two years of milking.

labeling the NITL tour as the "fraud" reunion? catering to just hardcore fans of the band. Most of the revenue comes from the casual Gn'R fan. How many hardcore fans in 2020 and beyond? how many knew about Steven playing Out Ta Get with the band and gave a shit, or when Izzy played with New Gn'R? I just don't think the incentive is there for most fans of the band.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

labeling the NITL tour as the "fraud" reunion? catering to just hardcore fans of the band. Most of the revenue comes from the casual Gn'R fan. How many hardcore fans in 2020 and beyond? how many knew about Steven playing Out Ta Get with the band and gave a shit, or when Izzy played with New Gn'R? I just don't think the incentive is there for most fans of the band.

Envision the marketing campaign: ''Appetite for Destruction Reunion Tour''. ''The original five on the stage for the first time in forty years''. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Envision the marketing campaign: ''Appetite for Destruction Reunion Tour''. ''The original five on the stage for the first time in forty years''. 

after Izzy left back in the UYI days and Matt replaced Steven, no one gave a fuck really. At least not enough for it to make any real damage. If the current line up goes away for a while and comes back and you compare it with a potential full reunion, would it really make that much of a difference? I don't believe it will. Not as long as Axl and Slash are still performing on the same stage. That's the attraction for most.

Edited by Rovim

18 minutes ago, Rovim said:

after Izzy left back in the UYI days and Matt replaced Steven, no one gave a fuck really. At least not enough for it to make any real damage. If the current line up goes away for a while and comes back and you compare it with a potential full reunion, would it really make that much of a difference? I don't believe it will. Not as long as Axl and Slash are still performing on the same stage. That's the attraction for most.

Half the casual fans think Fortus is Izzy anyway so it would not make any difference to them. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, vloors said:

Half the casual fans think Fortus is Izzy anyway so it would not make any difference to them. 

I mean I get that it sounds good on paper and that it's been a long time since all 5 shared the same stage, but if it was that much more lucrative, I think Axl would have made Izzy a better offer and would have really included Steven too.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, vloors said:

and the other half doesn't know who is izzy

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

...then it will be "for the last time ever". 

Throw out the notion to people that they may not be able to see something again, and they'll run at you, wallets flapping, shouting "I need to tick that box". 

35 minutes ago, vloors said:

I'd say way more than half! The others don't know or care who Izzy even is. 

That won't stop them from telling people it's what they've been waiting all their lives to see though. And those people will buy into it. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I'd say way more than half! The others don't know or care who Izzy even is. 

That won't stop them from telling people it's what they've been waiting all their lives to see though. And those people will buy into it. 

Axl said he wants to keep it going for as long as possible. They've already made a lot of money from the NITL without him making compromises he might not want to make like replacing Frank and Fortus. Even if he'll do it for 1 leg of a tour it will be hard to sell tickets as the current line up again.

in addition, people can simply go "so the difference is the drummer and the rhythm guitar player? but I've already seen Axl and Slash twice with the other guys and it was pretty good". Hardcore fans will love it, but which people will buy into it? how many will go for it unless it was like a Motley Crue situation? even Kiss chose to not do it with Ace and Peter.

They can do what you're suggesting with the current line up as well and advertise it as the last time as well.

Edited by Rovim

On 4/9/2020 at 7:55 AM, LunsJail said:

Yes, I downloaded it to Kindle.

I downloaded the free sample the day it came out. At the time, the full Kindle version was available to buy. After I finished the sample a few days later, all versions had been taken down :(

What I read (the sample went through bands in high school) I enjoyed. I look forward to reading the entire book.

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Axl said he wants to keep it going for as long as possible. They've already made a lot of money from the NITL without him making compromises he might not want to make like replacing Frank and Fortus. Even if he'll do it for 1 leg of a tour it will be hard to sell tickets as the current line up again.

in addition, people can simply go "so the difference is the drummer and the rhythm guitar player? but I've already seen Axl and Slash twice with the other guys and it was pretty good". Hardcore fans will love it, but which people will buy into it? how many will go for it unless it was like a Motley Crue situation? even Kiss chose to not do it with Ace and Peter.

Never underestimate how easily led and manipulated people are! 

I think a lot of the crowds on the NITL tour were made up of people feeling they 'had to be there' rather than through genuine liking of the band. You could pull that again easily I think. 

Their next card will be a Farewell Tour, followed a few years later by a F**k Retirement Tour (like what Ozzy did).

Izzy/Steven and Matt/Gilby wont make a shit of a difference either way.

• Like 1

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

Their next card will be a Farewell Tour, followed a few years later by a F**k Retirement Tour (like what Ozzy did).

Izzy/Steven and Matt/Gilby wont make a shit of a difference either way.

I'd be amazed if the next tour isn't branded a "farewell tour" actually and run for years and years. NITL is on five years now and counting, so I can see it eclipsing even that. 

Just now, allwaystired said:

I'd be amazed if the next tour isn't branded a "farewell tour" actually and run for years and years. NITL is on five years now and counting, so I can see it eclipsing even that. 

Well officially NITL ended in 2019 and this is now just called “The 2020 Tour,” but yeah I can see a “farewell” tour lasting for many years, like Kiss’s current End of the Road Tour.

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Well officially NITL ended in 2019 and this is now just called “The 2020 Tour,” but yeah I can see a “farewell” tour lasting for many years, like Kiss’s current End of the Road Tour.

Has it ended? I have no idea! Setlist was the same in Mexico as it was for NITL, so in my eyes it's the same tour rolling on! 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Has it ended? I have no idea! Setlist was the same in Mexico as it was for NITL, so in my eyes it's the same tour rolling on! 

Yeah lol Slash said in January that the 2020 tour is “completely separate” from NITL, but it sure doesn’t feel that way!