Jump to content
RussTCB

01/31/20 - Miami, FL - American Airlines Arena **SWEET CHILD TELEVISED ON FOX**NOW WITH MORE SNOOP DOGG**

Recommended Posts

The only thing that really puzzles and annoys me (apart from the lack of new music) is that they keep playing songs like YCBM, Better, RQ which Axl can't sing anymore instead of some UYI low range tracks like YATF, Bad Obsession or Pretty Tied Up. That would make the setlist more interesting and probably easier to sing for Axl. I don't think he can sing the current set much better than he did last night at this point. Yes he could go and see his vocal coach more often (even though we don't know whether he does or not), but even vocal coaches are no magicians, they can't make Axl sound like in the 90s or 2006 or even 2016. I think he's too old and his voice is too shot from doing 3-4 hour GNR sets (+ACDC in 2016). So as long as they don't adapt the setlist to Axl's current voice, shows like last night are probably all we can get. 

And I didn't think he sounded too bad yesterday (apart from Better), I think he was well prepared and it was no Berlin or Monterrey, it was more like 2019, where the 1st couple of shows were good as well but there was no room for improvement left as the 2019 leg continued 

 

Edit: and I don't think Axl sounding the way he does is because he's not trying or he doesn't care or something like that, I think he tries really hard during the shows, probably too hard sometimes so that it sounds unhealthy, but I really think that at this point and at his age, he isnt able to do better than this

Edited by SAU3R
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

The only thing that really puzzles and annoys me (apart from the lack of new music) is that they keep playing songs like YCBM, Better, RQ which Axl can't sing anymore instead of some UYI low range tracks like YATF, Bad Obsession or Pretty Tied Up. That would make the setlist more interesting and probably easier to sing for Axl. I don't think he can sing the current set much better than he did last night at this point. Yes he could go and see his vocal coach more often (even though we don't know whether he does or not), but even vocal coaches are no magicians, they can't make Axl sound like in the 90s or 2006 or even 2016. I think he's too old and his voice is too shot from doing 3-4 hour GNR sets (+ACDC in 2016). So as long as they don't adapt the setlist to Axl's current voice, shows like last night are probably all we can get. 

And I didn't think he sounded too bad yesterday (apart from Better), I think he was well prepared and it was no Berlin or Monterrey, it was more like 2019, where the 1st couple of shows were good as well but there was no room for improvement left as the 2019 leg continued 

I would be up for taking away Better and putting in Bad Obsession. I think RQ will always be there since it seems like the song is Slash's personal favorite. It's also one of my favorite songs  as well. I doubt that YCBM will be taken out. 

Edited by Draguns
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

There are basically two Axls: sexy young rock singer Axl and paunchy Jackie Stallone lookalike Axl

fixed :D

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

Also on the bright side is that they’re playing twice the size of the set list Aerosmith is currently playing for roughly the same price

Aerosmith at least have the virtue of having a singer who doesn't sound like shit every night.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be a lot easier for a lot of people if they were to just come out and say, “we aren’t releasing shit” (if that is actually the case, who knows). That way, if people want to drop out due to lack of interest, they can, instead of hanging on and hoping year after year. But Chinese taught us that it will come, eventually. The reunion taught us that it will come, eventually. That’s why I still have this endless amount of hope despite everything. They are my favorite band and always will be, so I’ll always be here. 
 

I enjoyed following along with the show last night. Other than a couple of rough spots, Axl sounded good. You’re Crazy was a nice surprise, and it’s cool that Dead Horse was played again as that’s one of my favorites. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I think the BIGGEST issue is the leadership of this board.  @RussTCB and @Downzy have to really look at themselves and ask how they have contributed to the negativity of the board and how they can improve upon the board. As an outsider who has an objective point, I think their negative feelings towards TB and the band has contributed to the backlash that this board has received. Last night, the HTGTH message board had FB links to the show. This board didn't. 

This board is now the polar opposite of what Jarmo did back in the late 2000s to early 2010s. At the time, you couldn't talk about anything negative. Everything had to be positive even though it wasn't the case. It seems like he has improved on that. Here it seems the opposite. 

I'll probably be more active in the HTGTH message board since it's now back to being more active. When I signed up on this board in 2016, it was much better. It's become too toxic. GNR is a band that I have always enjoyed. The music and attitude has helped me to get through a lot due to having a disability. I don't want something that I enjoy become toxic to me. 

I agree with the negativity.  Like wtf, they are who they are.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Last night, the HTGTH message board had FB links to the show. This board didn't.

We literally aren’t allowed.

  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tyler Drama said:

We literally aren’t allowed.

They need to change that rule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, LethalVelvetKraken said:

Went and wow, You’re Crazy was a pleasant surprise! Axl crushed it especially the ending. First time seeing them live too, I had a blast!

Awesome! Glad you had a good time and haven’t turned into one of these entitled ‘fans’ that somehow believe they are owed something while they angrily pound on their keyboards. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I think the BIGGEST issue is the leadership of this board.  @RussTCB and @Downzy have to really look at themselves and ask how they have contributed to the negativity of the board and how they can improve upon the board. As an outsider who has an objective point, I think their negative feelings towards TB and the band has contributed to the backlash that this board has received. Last night, the HTGTH message board had FB links to the show. This board didn't. 

This board is now the polar opposite of what Jarmo did back in the late 2000s to early 2010s. At the time, you couldn't talk about anything negative. Everything had to be positive even though it wasn't the case. It seems like he has improved on that. Here it seems the opposite. 

I'll probably be more active in the HTGTH message board since it's now back to being more active. When I signed up on this board in 2016, it was much better. It's become too toxic. GNR is a band that I have always enjoyed. The music and attitude has helped me to get through a lot due to having a disability. I don't want something that I enjoy become toxic to me. 

You decided to stop in here just to complain about our board? Imagine my surprise. 

Since you generally choose to ignore when someone makes a valid point, I've quoted myself from a post I made earlier today about the tone of the board. 

Oh... and as we've said many, many times in the past: htgth hasn't endured the same attacks we have, so they're welcome to post all the links to live streams that they want. We've made our stance clear on that and we've also made it clear that it's due to a couple of fans attacking this board specifically. 

If you want to post at htgth, good for you. I have nothing against that board personally, so have at it. 

However, if you're going to make posts accusing me and our site of certain things, I'm going to reply and show where you're wrong. As a reminder, here's my post where I already addressed the main part of your post earlier today but you chose to ignore:

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I honestly hear where both of you are coming from. I'm honestly not sure what to do about it though. I've always said this is the site that allows all opinions and I can't see changing that now just because the overall tone has shifted. 

I'm as guilty as anyone of a LOT of negativity as of late, but I really don't know what to do about that. Personally, I have a long track record (nearly 20 years) of defending so many things that Axl & GN'R have done. Anything that's come out of my mouth, no matter how unpopular, has been true. Every time I've defended the band, I've meant it from my heart. 

There just hasn't been much for me to defend over the past couple of years though and it's not just the shows themselves that I've been disappointed with. I can't speak about the quality of last night's show. I clicked on an fb link at some point, saw the curved screen, heard about 5 seconds of Estranged and clicked off. So I can't say anything about the show itself, really.

Again though, I can totally understand how & why many others are being negative. I think GNR fans as a whole are just leaning hard one way right now and I can't be in favor of censoring that. It would take such little effort on the part of the band to turn it around, but they just refuse to do the smallest thing that would make their hard cores fans happy. 

I'm only saying this because for better or worse, I often end up being the face of the forum so to speak. So I thought it would be a good idea if I threw my thoughts out there on the current situation. 

 

  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

The only thing that really puzzles and annoys me (apart from the lack of new music) is that they keep playing songs like YCBM, Better, RQ which Axl can't sing anymore instead of some UYI low range tracks like YATF, Bad Obsession or Pretty Tied Up.

Those were deep cuts when they came out. There's 0 chance crowds would even know them today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I watched it up to Rocket Queen and enjoyed it.  Might be time to stop following the threads on this site. The band isn't perfect but it was a good show.. This was more like a one off show warm up show and was better than others like it in the past.  The tour isn't even for another month on a half.  They changed the order around a bit.. The dropped a couple covers. They added the slow version of You're Crazy for the first time in 27 years and did a damn fine job with it.  The last handful of shows played before this they brought in Locomotive and Dead Horse. Most of their peer hard rock bands don't change one song for a whole tour. 

It is what it is at this point.. Take it or leave it because it isn't going to last forever.  These threads are like a morgue but I can tell you while watching it real time all you see is a constant stream of Facebook Hearts being clicked the entire stream.

Better was the only song played all night that I don't care for.  Looking at that setlist, I would have had a blast the whole night. I love those songs..

I am as outspoken as anyone but this place is definitely getting old

Agreed.  I think the majority of the complainers are people that don’t even go to the shows and watch most of them through streams.   They act as if playing some off Illusions track will make the shows that much better and quite frankly, that isn’t the case.  The vast majority, like 90%+ of the people at these shows want to hear Jungle, PC, SCOM, Don’t Cry, NR, etc etc.  
 

Just because some malcontent sitting in front of his computer is tired of the set list doesn’t mean 90%+ of the fans are.  So if you don’t like it, don’t stream the shows.  Simple. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Tyler Drama said:

We literally aren’t allowed.

 

3 minutes ago, moreblack said:

They need to change that rule

It's not a rule that we chose to put in place. If we had our way, users would be able to share tons of live material, just like they're able to do on the entirety of the rest of the internet. 

However, we have to deal with the one thing every other site doesn't have to: a couple of people constantly attacking the site.

We did everything we could to stand up against the attacks, but the copyright reporting system is so broken that these people with no lives can dedicate their time to registering enough complaints against this site, that we have to just not allow links. 

To be clear: we absolutely hate having this rule. If there was literally anything we could do about it, we would.

What's crazy is that we're the only site who gets attacked. If you look around the net, you'll find that there are other sites that are far more hateful towards GNR and Axl than us. Yet somehow, we're the board targeted by the couple of loser "fans" out to do what they consider justice for the band. 

6 minutes ago, TheHelgo said:

Awesome! Glad you had a good time and haven’t turned into one of these entitled ‘fans’ that somehow believe they are owed something while they angrily pound on their keyboards. 

What a tired argument. Literally not one user on here thinks GNR owes them anything. 

  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Those were deep cuts when they came out. There's 0 chance crowds would even know them today.

Well then fuck the crowd, they should do at least once something for the real fans who supported them before the reunion, when nobody else did

Plus they should play what everybody in the band is comfortable playing and singing, and Better etc are clearly not on that list

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooner everyone accepts that this is just a touring band now playing the hits that will draw the casual fans the better. That’s where the dollar is so that’s where the band’s at 

Edited by gavgnr
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the negativity is frustration due to the lack of communication and that horrible management, we all here love the band....even the ones that keep telling us they love to spend time in the general threads...jejeje.

But nitpick even the Kobe tribute (which I found nice, they are from L.A., the Lakers are L.A.) is a bit much.

Edited by Georgina Arriaga

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

You decided to stop in here just to complain about our board? Imagine my surprise. 

Since you generally choose to ignore when someone makes a valid point, I've quoted myself from a post I made earlier today about the tone of the board. 

Oh... and as we've said many, many times in the past: htgth hasn't endured the same attacks we have, so they're welcome to post all the links to live streams that they want. We've made our stance clear on that and we've also made it clear that it's due to a couple of fans attacking this board specifically. 

If you want to post at htgth, good for you. I have nothing against that board personally, so have at it. 

However, if you're going to make posts accusing me and our site of certain things, I'm going to reply and show where you're wrong. As a reminder, here's my post where I already addressed the main part of your post earlier today but you chose to ignore:

 

I'm not looking to argue with you dude. I don't have the time nor energy for it. Take a step back and actually listen to what is being said. I'm providing feedback from an objective viewpoint. I have no agenda.  Just like GNR can improve on things so can you and Downzy as well in regards  to this board. 

That's all. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I heard it was an all new show with a completely new setlist! :lol:
 

At least the wig was new!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a realists. I apogize for repeating myself.  To those who think this thread  is toxic, I am sorry.   To those fans here who want new music, setlists, etc. , I am sorry.                     My opinion.                           Last night's show was huge. GnR back in the game. 568 million from their tour with just the 3 of them because GnR is only 3 people legally. SuperBowl concert. They are touring alone meanwhile DL,MC and others are all together on a bill callung it the Stadium Tour. Sbout this concert.... All the rich and famous and media and business- corporate movers and shakers were there.  Then the next part of the audience were Superbowl fans there for SuperBowl weekend. Next strata,  causual fans and GnR fans. Lastly, the diehard fans.                                                             I really thought Axl would have looked better. He looks 80. No reason with his money to look like he has no get up and go. Gross. No he cannot like 27 years old. I dont look like I did in 1989 at 24 years old either.     I have no comment on sound because I did not hear  anything. He cannot sound like he did in 1991. He should sound his best with his resources  and have 2  Black female background singers, one each singing style.                                                                      New music. No wants wants to hear that shyt. No one would know those songs. The majority of their audiences   and especially at a show like last right  wants to hear  the GnR hits. I thinkThe Big3 messed up there. No Nov. Rain?              These 3 guys have real lives and separate lives so getting together to exchange ideas and record ,  rehearse,  writing for days  for music no one wants, makes no sense because no one will hear because there is no radio market  that cannot be played in concert because the audience wont know those songs and most importantly that no one will buy makes no sense. A waste of time.    There are a nostaglia band and got 568 million  over a 4 year tour by doing.  AND there AIN'T NOTHIN WRONG WITH DAT 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I'm not looking to argue with you dude. I don't have the time nor energy for it. Take a step back and actually listen to what is being said. I'm providing feedback from an objective viewpoint. I have no agenda.  Just like GNR can improve on things so can you and Downzy as well in regards  to this board. 

That's all. 

"I don't have time" = I have no argument. 

Your insults toward the board are just plain unfounded, which has been explained at least twice this morning. 

If you want to post somewhere else, post somewhere else. More power to you. What you're not going to be allowed to do is come here, insult the board, say things that aren't true about myself and other staff members then act like it's all just fact because you're unable to make an argument for the things you're making up. 

  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×