Going Down Appreciation Thread [NO LINKS/REQUESTS ALLOWED]

ManetsBR

Love the shit out of Going Down.

Been listening to Tommy's solo stuff for a couple of years. He has that laid-back rock that Izzy makes fun, but Tommy does change up his tempo from song to song, something Izzy doesn't do much of in his solo work. Still great stuff tho.

And I have always like Axl singing backup with his patent screams/whails. The quality isn't great as Tommy gets drowned out some, but the guitars by Bumble (if it is him) frame the song perfectly. I would hope this song was written by the current group of guys (less Ashba who came later) and not Bucket or Finck. Like their playing as well, especially Finck's contributions to CD, but I really want to hear what Tommy/BBF/Ashba/Fortus can do together.

This song mixed in with other Axl-led songs makes a great rock album. I still listen to CD today, but obviously prefer the blues/hard rock of old GNR, and GOING DOWN fits that style.

Bravo guys! Now release the fucking thing already...

Edited by SALonghorn

He better fucking not. I think he (Fortus) wrote the riff. It resembles his style and tone the most, at least. If not him or BH, I guess BBF. But if BBF wrote it it's prob because of Fortus' influence, lol

No, not him. Highvoltage pretty much confirmed that. The right channel sounds more like Robin and the left channel sounds more like Ron.

Look... listen to Prostitute. Listen to the guitar that's playing on the right channel at 0:04 until 0:27 - that's Robin's guitar. Now listen to Going Down. Listen to the guitar that's also playing on the right channel at the start of the song. That's Robin's sound, really similar to the Prostitute sound - especially the way he bends the strings and holds the notes. Now, if you pay attention, everything Ron plays is isolated on the left channel. So, a little bit after the intro riff he plays some fretless riffs - same amp, different guitars, really similar sounding stuff.

Richard doesn't have anything to do with it. Maybe he's playing the acoustic guitar... who knows?

I don't get why richard's so left out like that.

He was a session musician back then, so musicians probably used to tell him what to play and how to play. However, since 2009, he greatly improved his game and brought a lot more to the GnR sound. His jams with Bumble (Before Patience, Maddy, Another Brick, PC, etc) are some of the best I've ever heard from the boys, his solos are great and he's a really consistent guitarist. So I expect much more from him now and I'm pretty sure he'll get a much bigger role on the next release.

Hard to believe that it's been 13-14 years and that demo cd never leaked. Other than that mysterious short snipped from Jackie Chan (which I'm assuming was from that source). To my knowledge, I don't think we ever figured out where the earliest Catcher clip came from either.

Wonder if there's any way to message that guy. (a) to see if he's still got the files, and (b) to see if there are any song titles we haven't heard yet.

did you see the last comment?

Interesting to hear what finally became of this. The demo cd that a few people circulated in the early 2000s had a more electronic sounding version of this which kinda merged into a much heavier number called General. Hope they get it out officially as Tommy is a huge talent!

yrz7.jpg

Hes yanking chains.

My local radio station played this and did "Crank it or Cram It". Most said cram it. You know, typical "It's not GNR without Slash" bullshit.

What version did they play? The original mix with the guitar on one side and everything else in the other?
I assume so. They were playing snippets of the chorus throughout the hour, that's when I heard it, but I assume they played it entirely at least once.

Some of the people who voted on their FB page admitted they didn't actually listen to it, but still said it sucked because it's new GNR.

Edited by packersnroses

My local radio station played this and did "Crank it or Cram It". Most said cram it. You know, typical "It's not GNR without Slash" bullshit.

What version did they play? The original mix with the guitar on one side and everything else in the other?
I assume so. They were playing snippets of the chorus throughout the hour, that's when I heard it, but I assume they played it entirely at least once.

Some of the people who voted on their FB page admitted they didn't actually listen to it, but still said it sucked because it's new GNR.

Got a link to their fb page?

I think the song is excellent. MUCH more in the light of UYI than anything on CD. Izzy Stradlin singing lead and Axl on backup is a great combo, Tommy is a better singer than Izzy too!

RELEASE THIS OFFICIALLY YOU MOTHERFUCKERS!

Agreed. An album of stuff in the vein of Going Down, especially an album with Izzy, would awaken the entire GNR fanbase + would garner critical acclaim to get mainstream attn. Ironically, using the average "rock station" as the litmus test isnt the best methodology. Not only that, but I had to listen to Going Down several times to get it. Playing the song one time to people who listen to Nickelback, Godsmack, and Metallica....I dunno, dont be surprised if they dont get it. Who cares. GNR is way beyond that. Even if Going Down doesnt take the world by storm, the song itself puts GNR in a FAR better position than anything they've done in a long time, financially, artistically, and it helps the world, man!