April 23rd, 2014 - Golden Gods - Los Angeles, CA - Axl receives "Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award"

It was blatant the whole RRHOF was an attempt to get a GNR reunion and massive ratings. Not knocking them for trying, and while I would love to see Slash and Axl share a stage again at least on a few occasions, we all knew it wasn't going to happen, and that Axl would see right through the RRHOF's ruse. There's a reason they inducted GNR as soon as they were eligible while other bands have had to wait years: ratings. That's it. That's why they inducted so many non-rock acts as well, attempt to diversify and get more ratings/museum attendance/press/money. Not saying it should be a charitable establishment, either, at the end of the day they have to pay the bills.

I'd like it if Slash at least joined for a single song at this Revolver Golden Gods thing, but that'll happen when Hell freezes over. I'm just hoping for Axl to be in decent shape and DJ not to fuck up, and at least one new song.

It's gotta be on the appearance clauses, that Slash not be allowed to attend.

I'm feeling another vibe, a good one. The one that was missing in the RNRHOF

All in all, HOF was nothing but good vibes. Like Duff said, it wasn't about who was or wasn't there, it was about the music.

nothing but good vibes? care to search for the thread and see for yourself how the forum was living it in those days? Anyway i only speak for myself here.

Do you know the clauses or did you pull that out of you ass?

The '06 VMA "Do you know where the fuck you are?!?!" was probably the best version of that line ever.

Paris 92.
It was jokes.

Really, I do wish we could have some perspective on this thing and just appreciate it for what it is. Is it cool that Axl is being recognized? Sure. Is it cool that this means the band might play a set? Definitely. Is this Golden Gods thing, with the lineup and the award named after Dio, kind of funny and nothing to get overly excited and fanboy about? Without a doubt.

• Like 3

I voted A7X for most categories they were nominated in, love that Hail to the King album, and they were the best band I saw at Rock in Rio.

Wonder how Axl feels about M. Shadows now? I know Shadows said in the past he was more on Axl's side musically since he liked all the UYI ballads and they opened for GNR in 2006, but he then went to work with Slash, and both Josh Freese and Kid Rock have said that when they worked with Slash it bummed Axl out.

I voted A7X for most categories they were nominated in, love that Hail to the King album, and they were the best band I saw at Rock in Rio.

Wonder how Axl feels about M. Shadows now? I know Shadows said in the past he was more on Axl's side musically since he liked all the UYI ballads and they opened for GNR in 2006, but he then went to work with Slash, and both Josh Freese and Kid Rock have said that when they worked with Slash it bummed Axl out.

I didn't even know you could vote on these things. Shows what I know on the subject... lol

I didn't even know you could vote on these things. Shows what I know on the subject... lol

You didn't even have to sign up for anything, and you can vote multiple times. I just voted once, but I'm guessing the band with the most crazed fans will swoop the awards. Good thing Avril Lavigne isn't nominated.

What is funny is how fast some of the people on here praising the "award" would change their opinion if Axl ends up NOT going and bashing the system.

But in all seriousness - it does seem odd to give a lifetime achievement award to a guy who has only put out one album in the past 20 years and is really just living off what he created 20-25 years ago.

BUT - it is cool for Axl to be recognized for his achievements. He is one of the all time greats, and those first four albums are legendary and as good of a 4-album run as any rock band has ever put out.

In my humble opinion....some people on here are making too big of a deal about it - both ways. It isn't the greatest award ever, nor is it something to insult Axl about. It is a pretty positive event that we should enjoy watching.

Hopefully GnR performs.

Hopefully Axl is "ready" to sing.

If so, this could be a real Home Run for Axl and GnR in 2014.

Oh - and all the Slash talk in here is just silly.

None of us know what Slash is thinking or why he does things.

And hopefully Axl is a mature enough adult to not let Slash or his presence bother him.

I think it would be extremely cool and headline news worthy if Slash presented Axl with the award. NOT played with the band, but was just the presenter. I don't think people would freak out with the reunion talk. It would just be a cool thing.

This could be a great even for Axl and his current band.

LOL - is there any other band that if they were in this same situation, fans would be holding their breath at what might happen between now and the show, and then what might happen at the show?

• Like 1

LOL - is there any other band that if they were in this same situation, fans would be holding their breath at what might happen between now and the show, and then what might happen at the show?

I'm still waiting for Deep Purple to be inducted into the RRHOF and Ritchie Blackmore to stop fannying about with all that Blackmore's Night nonsense with his missus, but the animosity between him and Ian Gillan is pretty close to the Axl/Slash rivalry.

Shame that the vast majority of Axl's achievements aren't with the band he's performing with.

Don't get me wrong. I have an insane amount of respect for what Axl and (the real) Guns n' Roses achieved. The last true rock and roll band. The end of an era maybe even. And that ended somewhere in 1994 or so.

• Like 1

Which is so silly. He sounds like a 14 year old girl when says that shit.

• Like 1

When you say it like that it sounds very much like typical high school drama lol
  • Like 1

I think it is too much to ask Axl to accept an award from his top-hatted nemesis and a guest appearance by the 'cancer' is highly improbable. If however, Axl could even sit in the same room as Slash, it would at least prove that Axl has progressed from the mental and emotional age of a two year old toddler (his normal psychological state) to something more approaching, a grown adult. And I am not saying, sitting at the same table, the two, Axl and Slash, sharing Vol-au-vents together, but within the general vicinity of each other.

• Like 1

Which is so silly. He sounds like a 14 year old girl when says that shit.

Was Axl ever actually quoted anywhere as saying that stuff? Or are we just going by Kid Rock & Freese's words? I don't remember ever reading anything by Axl talking about stuff. If not mistaken, Kid Rock's quote started off with "I think." Like he was just making an assumption or something.

i just think it is cool that one of my favorite singers is getting an award named after my favorite singer. that being said this award show is brutally bad when it comes to the awards (outside of a few)

five finger death punch being nominated for anything but worst of..... is a joke. let a lone putting them in best album/vocalist/guitarist/song.

the only real category im following closely is comeback of the year. sabbath will win it but im rooting hard for carcass, surgical steel was awesome and 13 sucked.

edit: also following best new talent closely deafheaven better fucking win.

Edited by bran

I've been to the golden gods before. They are good & fun shows. As for the ticket prices, honestly most shows are very pricey here. My problem is the service charges. I just have a hard time justifying 22.50 service charge. Now days us as the buyer does all the work on your computer/ phone..etc. so exactly what is that service charge for????

Anyway, the show will be fun. My prediction is Sebastian & Steven Tyler will present axl the award & the set list will be CD, jungle, whole lotta Rosie w/ zakk wylde, mama kin w/ Sebastian & Tyler, PC jam w/ a lot of the artist there. The end!!

the show is fun for rock n roll/metal fans.

and it's good someone is arranging these things to get public focus back

on rock n roll.

i'm trying hard as hell to get to this. One, because it's Guns, but two, because it's LA, which is my favorite city in the US. Like you said, Juggalo, I've gotta believe that even if you aren't a huge fan of a lot of the bands playing, the whole atmosphere and event and stuff is just cool as hell too, right?

If however, Axl could even sit in the same room as Slash, it would at least prove that Axl has progressed from the mental and emotional age of a two year old toddler (his normal psychological state) to something more approaching, a grown adult.

Stop being a desperate "fan"

Axl has no mental disorder as far as we are concerned. Nobody even knows the fuckin' guy let alone his "mental state"

Is it so hard to understand he wants nothing to do with this former member and has moved on with HIS band?

I tried to read all the posts but got bored. Can someone tell me why is Slash being mentioned? Is he being awarded too? Has he said he's going to attend? I don't understand.

That said, this award is very small and meaningless in comparison to the HOF. Whether Axl wants to attend or not, that's up to him. If he's not attending because Slash could be there, I will laugh my ass off. 52 year old man still scared of the top-hatted guitarist lol.

Why "should" axl play with slash? Why is it the "right" thing to do? He has made it abundantly clear that he has zero interest in collaborating or associating himself with slash. Think of the one person you dislike more than anyone in the world, now imagine millions of people demanding that you should work on a project, and/or spend time with this person? And furthermore, slash himself seems disinterested and "over it" these days. He doesn't even like talking to the media about gnr anymore. Of what benefit would stirring up a bunch of reunion rumors be to slash and what he is trying to accomplish with his solo efforts? It wouldn't for either of them.

Would I love to see it? Sure I would. Honestly just the two of them burying the hatchet would be super cool from a fans perspective, but if that is ever to happen it will when they are both ready to do so, which unfortunately doesn't seem like will ever happen. Axl obviously can not bring himself to forgive slash for whatever it is that went down.

Whether slash attends or not, I'm sure the promoters have worked that out behind the scenes. Does anyone honestly believe that they are just going to bamboozle axl Into a meeting with slash, or that slash would even be willing to go along with something so silly?

The award itself probably doesn't really mean much I suppose, but the opportunity to promote this version of gnr and show the world that axl and the new band are a great band with a strong performance is a great opportunity, that hopefully is taken advantage of.

I tried to read all the posts but got bored. Can someone tell me why is Slash being mentioned? Is he being awarded too? Has he said he's going to attend? I don't understand.

That said, this award is very small and meaningless in comparison to the HOF. Whether Axl wants to attend or not, that's up to him. If he's not attending because Slash could be there, I will laugh my ass off. 52 year old man still scared of the top-hatted guitarist lol.

Slash is being mentioned because he usually shows up to these awards

and Axl's not scared of Slash, he hates him and would rather just avoid him ... big difference