What about "Going Down"?

So I haven't seen any topics about the song "Going Down" which was leaked in 2013 and since there isn't much to talk about in the world of GN'R I figured I would ask what you guys think of it?

I personally enjoy it! I can like the sound and soft feeling of the song, but that being said I would not enjoy a whole GN'R album sounding like this!

I think it's great... you can hear the Stinson influence, and makes me wonder if there are other songs of similar quality out there. It was one we hadn't even heard much about prior to its leak -- if he's got a whole record of tunes like that, it might appease a lot of people who were on the fence about the whole Chinese Democracy thing.

That said, the song already feels somewhat dated -- like a late '90s or early '00s alt-rock song, so if it was released in this current musical climate I can't see it getting much radio play. Doesn't matter though -- quality tune either way.

• Like 4

Personally, I was bit let down by it. One of NuGNR's strengths is (was?) that they pushed musical boundaries and there were great, innovative players in the band that could make really signature sounds, but this song sounds a little generic for what they can do.

It's far from bad, I like both Axl & Tommy's vocals on it, but overall it was the leaked track that I had the least amount of interest in.

• Like 3

Going down is awesome. I even like tommys voice

Tommy's voice suits the song, it's a bit like 14 years in a way.

Stinson's solo albums are great for a fun project, really hope this is on cd2, everyone bangs on about 'the general' nobody's heard it ! Going down is a good track

Great song! It would be perfect on a Tommy Stinson solo album!

I love it, but it just doesn't have a GnR feel to me, at all.

I love Tommy's solo work and that where it'd fit perfectly.

Great point, tommy's 2nd album is brilliant , kinda music I was brought up on

I like the song a lot. I find that Tommy voice fits it well too, but would like to know how it would be with Axl's voice. Probably better.

Solo should be totally gone. As much as I like Bumblefoot, his solo is totally out of place and breakes the song vibe. Pretty much what he did with Catcher In The Rye... Leave the virtuosos to the industrial songs. Fortus should do a solo for Going Down.

Axl is supposed to sing the "final" version.

Edited by ManetsBR

I understand, but generic rock is good sometimes. With the kind of experimental stuff people expect from NuGNR it's hit or miss; with songs like Goig Down, it's a total hit. It's easy to do, easy to listen and nice to enjoy. And it's good to know that there's stuff like this - plain rock n' roll - on The Vault.

• Like 1

from the original leak, it's seems some bends on the solo are from Robin using his wah pedal, then every bends is followed by random licks (bbf). just like the ascending/descending scales/killswitch at the end, changing too much the vibe. It's funky, but a mess.

Anyway, the parts bff's doing during the verse and all, it's awesome.

Edited by Silent Jay