07/03/16 - Chicago, IL - Solider Field

RussTCB

3 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

I'm surprised they didn't throw out a couple alternates last night. It could've sold some tickets for the other 2nd dates. If I lived in a 2 show city, I'd try to go to both if I could afford it, if I thought I'd get a different show.

I guess they think the quality of the alts right now aren't up to par with what's currently being played. Which is understandable cuz everything they are playing sounds great.

Yeah, I think they are making sure the main setlist are perfect at this stage. Pretty sure we will get some alternatives at some point.

2 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'd say about even. The band was tighter overall in Detroit, but Axl was on fire vocally last night. 

That's the one thing I was wondering...the periscope we were all watching had great sound.  But, for some reason, at times Axl's vocals did not come through well.  I have not watched any YouTube stuff and I was thinking this was due to the microphone on the periscope device and not Axls voice as there were times you could tell he was getting at it.  Thanks Russ!  Glad y'all had fun.

19 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

That's the one thing I was wondering...the periscope we were all watching had great sound.  But, for some reason, at times Axl's vocals did not come through well.  I have not watched any YouTube stuff and I was thinking this was due to the microphone on the periscope device and not Axls voice as there were times you could tell he was getting at it.  Thanks Russ!  Glad y'all had fun.

Yeah, it was the same in person. Overall, I must say the mix was damn near perfect. I was thinking it'd be muddled down in the pit so close, but it was crystal clear. 

Axl's voice was really low on some songs and perfectly in the mix on others. Total guess on my part but I think maybe it has to do with how much energy he puts into certain songs. Like the ones he takes it easier on aren't so loud maybe? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Towelie said:

No incentive? How about being an artist? Aren't artists supposed to thrive on being creative? GNR are just a touring karaoke act these days.

And they will continue to be a touring karaoke band whether you like It or not. That Is where the money Is. There Is no sense fixing what Isn't broken and If they can continue playing to decent crowds without recording an album(which I'm sure they can) that Is what they most likely will do. It Is crazy to be complaining about new music 10 shows Into a reunion after 23 years of separation.

• Like 1

Guys get together after 23 fucking years, play 4 or 5 shows and people bitch about the setlist and new music. It only just happened. The sole purpose of this show is for people to see Axl perfoming the classics with Slash, and rightfully so.

It's clear that there is a massive demand for this, so it's what they will do for the foreseeable future, probably going to Europe and SA.

Then, after it, if they want to move forward as band new music is the way to go. But for now, what they are doing is perfectly understandable by any person with a modicum of common sense.

Also, most of the people packing stadiums to see them probably don't gove a shit about perfect crime, dead horse and the likes. Those songs have the potential to become piss breaks.

They are playing Coma, Out Ta Get Me, DTTJ. Those songs weren't even played 10 times yet. All the biching is really behaving like a brat.

Except for the Seeker, that one has overstayed its welcome.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

If they throw in Shotgun Blues damn right I will be complaining! The absolute worst gnr song!

"And now you're blowing smoke.."  Well yeah, you have right for your opinnion. :P But damn I would gladly hear a live version of Shotgun Blues! It may not be lyrically or technically the most amazing GN'R song ever but it surely has punch and Axl has great vocals on it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Guys get together after 23 fucking years, play 4 or 5 shows and people bitch about the setlist and new music. It only just happened. The sole purpose of this show is for people to see Axl perfoming the classics with Slash, and rightfully so.

It's clear that there is a massive demand for this, so it's what they will do for the foreseeable future, probably going to Europe and SA.

Then, after it, if they want to move forward as band new music is the way to go. But for now, what they are doing is perfectly understandable by any person with a modicum of common sense.

Also, most of the people packing stadiums to see them probably don't gove a shit about perfect crime, dead horse and the likes. Those songs have the potential to become piss breaks.

They are playing Coma, Out Ta Get Me, DTTJ. Those songs weren't even played 10 times yet. All the biching is really behaving like a brat.

I think most people understand what this tour is about. What most of us are arguing about is that we'd like to see a few more songs that haven't been played in years getting thrown in and out of the set. Yeah! maybe Dead Horse would be a piss break song for people who only know the hits, but there is still a lot of people who know the song and would flip out if it was played. Metallica played all of the black album in 2012, the albums filled with big hitters but it's also got songs like Struggle within, My friend of Misery, God that Failed etc. these songs were not known to all but guess what? people stayed and watched and from the looks of the crowd they dug it, and the one's that did know the songs? they went crazy. 

Working up a song like Pretty tied up or Perfect Crime is a couple of hours work, Metallica add new songs to their set each night. GnR could easily have a rehearsal room backstage and work on songs that they'd like to add to the set. 

Wanting to hear your favourite neglected / unplayed songs live is not bratty. The point here is that the set looks a whole lot like the set from the last ten or so years, with the inclusion of coma, and Jive motherfucker... we understand that they have certain songs they HAVE to play, they account for about 12 songs in the set (I haven't included any CD material, just classic GNR), there's room for a lot of material there! 12 songs for the every man, and the rest should be a good mix of songs for die-hards and the middle-ground.

Also, there's no chance Perfect crime would be a piss break song, that's a "go fucking mental" pit song.

Suprised (but not complaining) that it's exactly the same set.  Thought they woulda swapped DC for Patience at least, like Vegas. I know we've all seen that alternative set but Used To Love Her doesn't really interest me as a song I'd want to hear. Nice Boys I've seen before so again, not really much of a demand from me. Slither could be interesting however I'm thinking it'd be Duff singing it. Perfect Crime needs to come back though, I'd fucking love to see that. 

47 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Man, we've chatted in chat and you're all good.  But, your post comes as literally "these complaints aren't valid, except the one I agree with".  That's basically what you are saying, or how I'm taking it.

And, you do realize the CD songs are basically piss breaks for the casuals right now....every set will have fillers, but what you may call filler, others call gold and vice versa.   

Edited by tsinindy

Back in November, we told you about how an AC/DC fan club was pleading with the Aussie rockers to mix up their Black Ice World Tour setlist instead of playing the same songs, in the same order, night in and night out. A petition asking the band to change up their shows began soon after, but now lead singer Brian Johnson is firing back, saying that AC/DC fans need to relax and just treat the concerts as "a bit of fun."

But Johnson didn't stop there, according to News.com.au [via Digital Spy]. He proceeded to lay into the fans behind the petition (and imagine he's saying this in his patented, sandpaper-voiced rocker yowl), telling the publication that the fans in question "may cheer at the concerts, they may go home happy, but they only came to hear 'Thunderstruck.' They don't eat, sleep and shit AC/DC like we do. Fuck them!"

Now the curious thing about this is Johnson is paraphrasing the open letter AC/DC fans sent to the band back in November, ripping the "eat, sleep and shit" line verbatim from what was posted by the concerned fans on the band'sofficial fan site.

And Johnson continued his anti-fan tirade, saying, "There are a few cocky fans. A lot of people now with the computers, they sit on their fat asses in their house somewhere going, 'Oh, they played that song last night, they should change it.' Well, bollocks to you. I don't think they realize changing a song in a set now is not the same as it used to be. When you include all the lighting guys, the stagehands, the technicians - there are 85 guys who have to know what's happening if you change a song. We're still doing some of the really old stuff. We're not daft. We realize the fans like the old songs. But boy, it ticks me off when people start petitions. We're not a political party, we're just a rock'n'roll band out for a bit of fun."

Now we love AC/DC as much as the next red-blooded followers of all things hard rockin', and we also admit that maybe AC/DC fans are a bit zealous about the band's live shows, but it sounds as if Johnson's got his trademark flat cap on way too tight.

^^^^^^ why we aren't hearing dead horse anytime soon lol.

Just now, Cory Trevor said:

Back in November, we told you about how an AC/DC fan club was pleading with the Aussie rockers to mix up their Black Ice World Tour setlist instead of playing the same songs, in the same order, night in and night out. A petition asking the band to change up their shows began soon after, but now lead singer Brian Johnson is firing back, saying that AC/DC fans need to relax and just treat the concerts as "a bit of fun."

But Johnson didn't stop there, according to News.com.au [via Digital Spy]. He proceeded to lay into the fans behind the petition (and imagine he's saying this in his patented, sandpaper-voiced rocker yowl), telling the publication that the fans in question "may cheer at the concerts, they may go home happy, but they only came to hear 'Thunderstruck.' They don't eat, sleep and shit AC/DC like we do. Fuck them!"

Now the curious thing about this is Johnson is paraphrasing the open letter AC/DC fans sent to the band back in November, ripping the "eat, sleep and shit" line verbatim from what was posted by the concerned fans on the band'sofficial fan site.

And Johnson continued his anti-fan tirade, saying, "There are a few cocky fans. A lot of people now with the computers, they sit on their fat asses in their house somewhere going, 'Oh, they played that song last night, they should change it.' Well, bollocks to you. I don't think they realize changing a song in a set now is not the same as it used to be. When you include all the lighting guys, the stagehands, the technicians - there are 85 guys who have to know what's happening if you change a song. We're still doing some of the really old stuff. We're not daft. We realize the fans like the old songs. But boy, it ticks me off when people start petitions. We're not a political party, we're just a rock'n'roll band out for a bit of fun."

Now we love AC/DC as much as the next red-blooded followers of all things hard rockin', and we also admit that maybe AC/DC fans are a bit zealous about the band's live shows, but it sounds as if Johnson's got his trademark flat cap on way too tight.

^^^^^^ why we aren't hearing dead horse anytime soon lol.

... kinda funny how AC/DC had the same bitching before Axl showed up eh?

5 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

@RussTCB and @ZoSoRose both you look great, Im sure you had an amazing time.

Russ, how did you make your way to the pit?

@Fernandois a super nice guy, that's how lol. He went out of his way to help us get to the pit which was awesome. 

It was the closest I've ever been for a GNR show. The show was excellent but being that close just made it all the better.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

@Fernandois a super nice guy, that's how lol. He went out of his way to help us get to the pit which was awesome. 

It was the closest I've ever been for a GNR show. The show was excellent but being that close just made it all the better.  

Gasp you mean Fernando is a nice guy even though some paint him otherwise?  Unreal!! ?

Awesome way to see the show up close, different show that way!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Thats great man, I hope he helps me when I go to a show, his sister, her name just went out of my mind,  was helpful to me when I had seen them back in 2012, she even offered me a jacket as it was cold outside, so that was nice of her. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cory Trevor said:

...then came Axl, and AC/DC played songs they hadn't played for more than a decade or ...never :lol:

I don't think the technical issues (lighting, graphics etc.) are such a big deal. They can just show the band on the big screen instead of graphics, like they did during Touch Too Much for example. Besides, the graphics used to the GnR shows are abstract.

Edited by Blackstar

Just now, Slash787 said:

Thats great man, I hope he helps me when I go to a show, his sister, her name just went out of my mind,  was helpful to me when I had seen them back in 2012, she even offered me a jacket as it was cold outside, so that was nice of her. 

Yeah, they're not at all the devilish clan some claim (not you). No ass kissing needed either. Just asked nicely and he helped because he could. We even got hassled by security and he came back to set them straight. Dude didn't have to do either of those things, so we were super grateful. 

• Like 2