07/03/16 - Chicago, IL - Solider Field

RussTCB

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Just watched CD from last night on YouTube. So fuckin killer. Need to find last nights TIL as soon as possible. 

was it just me? or was TIL incredibly, amazingly epic last night? wowzers....  :D 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Then came Axl, and they played songs they hadn't played for more than a decade or ...never :lol:

I don't think the technical issues (lighting, graphics etc.) are such a big deal. They can just show the band on the big screen instead of graphics, like they did during Touch Too Much for example. Besides, the graphics used to the GnR shows are abstract.

Axl came in over a month before the tour started, they had a chance to add the songs. 'touch too much' for example wasn't just spontaneously added even though it seems like it, it was part of the set when Axl landed the job (hinted at airport actually), and may an alternate/eventual fixture after the good reception. Think of it like 'Slither' or 'Perfect Crime'!

We could obviously expect the alternates, but when its a show this fuckin massive with pyro and whatnot, we won't be getting anything that isn't on the setlist until Europe atleast :( Plus when GnR was in their hayday, do you think they had a bunch of people on a fansite live streaming every single show, bitching about the setlist? I figure 75 percent of the people at each show are NOT gonna watch the other shows, save a song or two. Plus they threw in COMA/Civil War and Out ta Get Me fooook and have clearly improved their tempos because fans bitched.

Also, other than Slashes Guitar, and Axl's voice to an extent, the sound is shitty on bootlegs anyways, we're meant to hear these songs loud and live, not know the setlist by heart because of watching dozens of shit youtube videos.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

...then came Axl, and AC/DC played songs they hadn't played for more than a decade or ...never :lol:

I don't think the technical issues (lighting, graphics etc.) are such a big deal. They can just show the band on the big screen instead of graphics, like they did during Touch Too Much for example. Besides, the graphics used to the GnR shows are abstract.

The reason the setlist stayed the same on the Black Ice tour was apparently due to Malcolm's deteriorating memory, although all throughout the Rock or Bust tour with Brian, as far as I'm aware the set didn't alter either (by which point Malcolm had left) so I don't know if it was solely down to Malcolm's dementia.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Yes. You have me very interested. When you say best performance ever, I definitely wanna see it. Hopefully someone got it...

I'm actually curious myself. I don't want to see again and be like "Oh shit, I over hyped that" lol

1 minute ago, cqleonardo said:

out ta get me vid from last night? i saw on snapchat and he was singing like a freaking beast

I don't even like OTGM and I was captivated. He was on fire that much. 

There's a reason why the setlist is what it is, and there's obviously a reason not to change it. 

From my point of view, I'm entitled to expect the exact same setlist as they've played so far, and if I get lucky and they happen to play a song on the ALT list, it's just a plus on top of it all. 

I think we are in a good position right now with the setlist overall, because of getting all the hits and also some rarities (fe. Coma) every show. I'd like to remind you that there are also arena-sized bands who refuse to play (for some reason) some of the songs ALL of the fans are waiting , so we could be dealing with a situation where the guys wouldn't be up for playing Jungle and/or Nightrain for example, which would be a lot worse. 

I think the setlist is good, and cross my fingers for the slight chance for variations, but I'd be a fool to keep my hopes up too high for that. 

Edited by rosesandguns

10 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

LALD, hopefully this uploader has more :)

Loving Axl's energy on this! His foot must be completely healed now then. It's great seeing him running around so much and spinning and tossing the Mic stand like a boss. Doing all the classic angry performance moves he's known for. INCREDIBLE.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AFGnR said:

I swear Axl is improving, moving around more, short sprints, holding notes longer etc. Looking more agile. :-)

End of This I Love:

Agreed. I think now that they're on the road together playing more shows and hanging out, they appear to be gelling more

Edited by Billsfan
  • Like 1

I was surprised that they played the exact same set as Friday, but my God was Axl good last night! The crowd was insane on Friday...the upper deck was bouncing, but the performance was better last night in my opinion. It was so good I may try to sneak over to Cincy this week. It's an absolute treat to have been able to see these guys 5 times so far this year. I cannot wait for LA in August!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tsinindy said:

Man, we've chatted in chat and you're all good.  But, your post comes as literally "these complaints aren't valid, except the one I agree with".  That's basically what you are saying, or how I'm taking it.

And, you do realize the CD songs are basically piss breaks for the casuals right now....every set will have fillers, but what you may call filler, others call gold and vice versa.   

You are all good too man. I might have expressed myself poorly, I think complaints about a setlist that doesn't change can certainly be valid, I just don't think it's already time for those, specially as harshly as some people here do.

Axl playing Coma next to Slash on is still very novel and fresh. It has happened a handful of times in the past 22 years. The tour is at its very beginning and kicked off with some very worthy new additions to the usual NuGNR setlist. Would you honestly say it's time to be fed up with it, relentlessly complaininig about how the band is a circus act and has no interest in moving forward? (not directing this at you, BTW). 

I would love to hear Perfect Crime, but I post in a forum about the band. Many fans do not even know the song. Novelty should be introduced as things start to get repetitive and stale, and it really does not seem to be the case to me, 10 shows into the year, with Coma, DTTJ, TWAT, My Michelle, Used to Love Her, Out Ta Get Me having been played at some point already. 

Evrybody has the right to have an opinion, but I also have the right to be deeply annoyed by it. Axl had a weak night and everybody (me included, to an extent) pounced on him, with talks of Mickey, lack of effort, how much better he sounded with AC/DC. He then rebounded with an excellent performance, and for every post enjoying what happened there are five or six complaining about the setlist. 

• Like 2