07/03/16 - Chicago, IL - Solider Field

RussTCB

14 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

I bet the people at the actual shows aren't complaining. You have to remember that most of the people who go to see them, aren't hanging around in MyGnR-forum all day everyday for 10 years :D

Can confirm. Just got home from my third show this year and didn't mind the setlist one bit. Everyone else at the show seemed to love it as well. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ironmt said:

The problem Is that there Is really no Incentive to release new music and they are playing to 30-60,000 people a night without anything new. A bands money Is made on the road. What would be the point In spending money to record an album to have people steal It on the Internet? I am not criticizing your opinion I am just saying that there Is a flip side also.

No incentive? How about being an artist? Aren't artists supposed to thrive on being creative? GNR are just a touring karaoke act these days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Towelie said:

No incentive? How about being an artist? Aren't artists supposed to thrive on being creative? GNR are just a touring karaoke act these days.

Slash and Duff rejoined GNR for the first time since the 90's and we are not even 10 show into the tour, I think writing off the band as a touring karaoke act at this point is a bit extreme.  This tour is a tour that sooo many people have wanted, they would be dumb to not have a reunion tour of just the classics that everyone knows and loves

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Great show, no doubt. The setlist, though...

According to Duswalt's book, the setlist was the teleprompter handler's nightmare during the UYI tour, because they were screwing it. The guy who did that job had to recognize the first notes of each song and send the lyrics to Axl's screens. And they didn't have computers back then.

Now it's different, they are fully professionals, and we have to live with it.

Wait. Did they have a teleprompter back in the UYI years? I always thought they just could remember all songs, and thats way they could change so much back then

• Like 1

@Andy14, the show was very good. Setlist was the same, except for Duff's song. It seems they sounded better than Friday. I'm saying "it seems", because we had a periscope stream with great sound (almost pro) for the whole show. We heard Axl's voice loudly and clearly. I'm watching the videos now, and I conclude that the videos in general don't do him justice. Best song imo was again Out Ta Get Me, but all songs sounded better last night.

@lassie, yes, they had a teleprompter, because Axl sometimes was forgetting or messing up the lyrics.

Edited by Blackstar

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

@Andy14, the show was very good. Setlist was the same, except for Duff's song. It seems they sounded better than Friday. I'm saying "it seems", because we had a periscope stream with a great sound (almost pro) fro the whole show. We heard Axl's voice loudly and clearly. I'm watching the videos now, and I conclude that the videos in general don't do him justice. Best song imo was again Out Ta Get Me, but all songs sounded better last night.

@lassie, yes, they had a teleprompter, because Axl sometimes was forgetting or messing up the lyrics.

stream link mate

20 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

@Andy14, the show was very good. Setlist was the same, except for Duff's song. It seems they sounded better than Friday. I'm saying "it seems", because we had a periscope stream with great sound (almost pro) for the whole show. We heard Axl's voice loudly and clearly. I'm watching the videos now, and I conclude that the videos in general don't do him justice. Best song imo was again Out Ta Get Me, but all songs sounded better last night.

Thank you! I'm just listening to the periscope link you posted. Sounds great :headbang:

5 hours ago, scooby845 said:

I was 12 in 2006... so 16 at my first GnR in 2010...:lol: Btw.. by 'harder' do you mean it is not allowed in US to attend GnR under the age of 18 or because parent's didn't allow you...?

I just needed my parents to go to shows and that wasn't always an option. A lot easier when I turned 18.

3 hours ago, Towelie said:

Yeah but they're performers just as much as they are artists.  They're playing it safe for now, making sure the performance is solid and people get what they paid for.  As the tour progresses, maybe they will become more comfortable taking some chances.  

5 hours ago, blackrose87 said:

The bitching and moaning here is hilarious.

Seriously 4 shows into a tour with a reunited Slash/Axl/Duff and people bitch about the setlist which includes Coma DTJ. 

Please pick up some kind of hobby if the setlist is bothering you so much.

So true, and sadly it's never gonna change. 

Imo this is the best set list i've seen for year.

6 hours ago, cheesecake said:

Yeah..

But to be fair..that's kinda valid. 

Just that them giving it all just trumps the imperfections. But I get the whistle issue. Maybe someone needs to ask the man himself why he chooses to do it this way these days.

I can see how people would find fault with that. I was referencing Friday night when someone made a huge deal out of it.

First off- this isn't a complaint post.

I am shocked they didn't change the set list up at all. If it was ever gonna happen, you'd have thought it was last night. 

Why do you think that is? Too much hassle to change the production/ pyro/ videos etc? Band rehearsed the alternate songs but Axl didn't? Again, not a complaint. Just surprised & wondering...

2 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

First off- this isn't a complaint post.

I am shocked they didn't change the set list up at all. If it was ever gonna happen, you'd have thought it was last night. 

Why do you think that is? Too much hassle to change the production/ pyro/ videos etc? Band rehearsed the alternate songs but Axl didn't? Again, not a complaint. Just surprised & wondering...

Definitely has nothing to do with the production.  Pretty sure they can switch that stuff around with a touch of a button. 

6 hours ago, WhazUp said:

If Slither is played I am curious as to how Axl will sound on his.  I can easily imagine him doing something akin to CD where he uses the low voice for the verses and the high voice for the chorus and high notes

If the band ever does do Slither, I have to believe Duff will sing it. This is Axl we are talking about, he's never going to sing a Weiland song.  Unless he has a personality transplant or something.