07/01/17 - Hämeenlinna, FI - Kantolan Tapahtumapuisto

alfierose

I was in the circle and the crowd in front of me was into it. We clapped and waved our hands. Some jumping too. About the gig though, the first hour or so was great. But the delay really took a toll on me, my legs were hurting like hell for all that standing. By the end of it I was hoping they would just finish already. And they really should drop the covers, like Knockin' on Heaven's Door. It's just boring. Black Hole Sun was a nice surprise though. But that should go eventually too. It was strange how some people seemed almost uncomfortable listening to Axl sing This I Love. And it really is Axl's solo. Anyway, the show was too long for too long. I'm happy that I got to see them, but no reason to go again, unless they have something new to play.

• Like 1

Great gig! Axl's voice went a bit mickey at moments, which is weird as it was better in LA last August and usually touring enhances his voice.

Organizers sucked ass but what can you except in Finland.. Hopefully Nijmegen is better organized!

What a show. Where to begin.

It was very easy to get close to the stage after Mike Monroe, as many left for food and drinks etc. First time I heard or saw The Darkness. I was blown away. The sound in their show was much better than GnRs (Franks drums were too loud.. could barely hear Slash) and their stage show was fun and energetic. 

When The Darkness finished their awesome and fun concert, people were on fire and ready for Guns. The enthuatishm went down as they kept audience waiting nearly 1 hour. 

Well Its so easy started and I was excited as hell, jumping and fistpumbin. The sound was shit, last time I saw Slash in arena I could hear everything perfectly... now Slash was just in front of my eyes soloing and I couldnt feel it cause I didnt hear it.

The major complaint about the show for me are the idiots in Slash side golden circle. I was standing behind some really zombie people just in front of the stage. Fuck! Im in a rock concert, where is the energy and desire? I partied and jumped up until Slashs solo.. then I decided fuck it.. no one will join the fun.

I enjoyed songs like This I Love, November Rain, Kohd, .. almost everythinh after SCOM. The first part of the set is a rocker and I wanted to rock but the audience and sound problems almost ruined my experience.

I saw them last time in Finland 2010. I was 15yrs old.. quite close to center stage. Screaming and jumping to almpst every song.. and so did everyone else then. Now there were some fat burgers who looked news feed during the show.

Usually I feel energised and like Ive been to therapy after good rock show. I still remember fondly AxlDc show from last year.. so much energy. But not yesterday.

I wonder if you guys who enjoyed the show had better sound than I did and was it your first time seeing Axl or Slash? Glad for those who got great experience.

Unlogical review maybe but please comment and share your thoughs

• Like 2

It was a lot of fun but I don't need to see them ever again unless there will be new music.

My main nitpick is that there are way too many boring songs in the setlist. I would prefer it if they cut out KOHD, This I Love, Don't Cry, Patience, NR and added something more interesting.

Also they could have had Michael Monroe get up for Outta Get Me or something.

I don't generally like huge concerts and festivals because the logistics are a pain in the ass, and this was no exception to that. Also it's not nice to have to worry about your train because the band decides to be 45 minutes late, so I left when PC started and ran to the train station - but actually the train waited for the audience so that's cool from their part.

All in all it was a good show though, nothing too surprising. The most rock n' roll moment was when Slash broke his B or E string during Nightrain and still played the long outro solo with no problems

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Kelmi said:

I wonder if you guys who enjoyed the show had better sound than I did and was it your first time seeing Axl or Slash? Glad for those who got great experience.

The sound was great in the back. I heard everything clearly. The band sounded perfect to me.

• Like 1

Well, the concert was really great, if not outstanding. However, some concerns may exist.

Actually, they late not for an hour, but for 40 minutes - for GnR thats pretty okay, including the fact that there may be real problem with equipment. And the show was worth waiting. 

What has really amazed me is a dull Golden Circle audience. My first after-show thoughts were much the same as in many comments before. I mean, it's was not soooo bad, but only less than a half of the GC audience was really rocking and supporting the group. And the sad thing is, that the culture of rock supporting is dissapearing: we have or amorphous peolpe who just stands and eventually hinting others not to "rock"(but it's damn rock concert, wtf) or people who inadequate(hopefully only a few). At the same time, this statement can be reffered mostly to the golden circle - as I've read here, audience in GA was much better. I was on this venue on AC/DC at the GA and the atmosphere was really great with all jumping and supporting. But still, GC was an amazing experience with the stage and the whole band just in front of you. 

What is more, now I hate people using cameras on live venues. Okay, it's cool to shoot something, sometimes, and then go supporting, but they shoot and just stay then (or some sort). Maybe this idiots don't know that in case of Axl Rose the show quality depends on how audience react? I even was a bit suprised of so astonishing setlist (Don't Cry and Patience were played together only 3 times in more than 70 gigs), good Axl's mood, and the fact that they've played for 3 hours (it's the second longest concert in this tour). That's amazing, but it seems to me that's happened not because of 'fan's circe", but because of general audience. Maybe cameras should be taken away before the show? Or maby before the Circle? If you wanna permamently shoot, create bootleg or some sort, go for a sitting space or something, but not for the fan's space in front of the stage. 

All in all, the show was almost perfect, indeed. Even some bugs with technique or something(closer to the end Axl used to talk throught their inside channel several times) didn't spoiled it - everything sounded and looked awesome. Even Mr. Rose's voice sometimes reminded of its 1990's edition. Thank you Guns N' Roses!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

I don't quite understand the complaining about the audience not singing along, jumping etc. Just let people be and enjoy the show as they see fit as long as they aren't hurting others! The audience is not there to entertain the band or other people in the audience. Not everyone is young, happy, bouncy and energetic. Since when has this been a band for shiny happy people and no one else?

Myself I was very tired because I hadn't had a proper night's sleep for at least a week. It seems that every time I see GNR I'm sleep deprived, dehydrated etc. I'm also a person who is very uncomfortable in a large crowd, especially a large crowd of drunken people, so just surviving the concert was a bit of a challenge. I danced a little bit, but not a lot, but it wasn't for lack of appreciation. If I didn't love GNR to death, I wouldn't go see them at all, because being in a crowd is horrible.

With that said, I also don't quite understand those people who are just chatting with their friends and not even paying attention to the band. If GNR is just background music to you, wouldn't it make more sense to put on the record and throw a drinking party somewhere else?

Well, a lame crowd can really kill a concert for many people. Personally, I don't care and just jump around anyway and live with people staring strangely at me, but since it is Rock'n'Roll... The term alone includes some movement imho, if people just want to stand and watch, maybe some Pop concert is better for that. ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zurimor said:

Well, a lame crowd can really kill a concert for many people. Personally, I don't care and just jump around anyway and live with people staring strangely at me, but since it is Rock'n'Roll... The term alone includes some movement imho, if people just want to stand and watch, maybe some Pop concert is better for that. ;)

Lol. Opera would be better.

1 hour ago, Scream of the Butterfly said:

With that said, I also don't quite understand those people who are just chatting with their friends and not even paying attention to the band. If GNR is just background music to you, wouldn't it make more sense to put on the record and throw a drinking party somewhere else?

Well, and honestly that is what I had said earlier....that if you don't want to dance and move, fine....but there were full on loud conversations going on drowning out Axl singing. These people had their backs to the stage even. Unreal to me but that's just me I guess. :shrugs:

I saw some streams from Slane that were even worse. Miles from stage and no one paying any attention to whats going on stage. Do not judge a gig by a crappy stream shot far from stage. No one was saying how lame some stadium shows are because half the audience is sitting down

Edited by Mrk
Typo

It was like that in parts of the first London show too. Some fatty woman in front of us got drinks for her friend and they were all loudly chatting away and paying no attention to the band except for when SCOM was played.

Really ruins the atmosphere and is fucking annoying when you're trying to have fun and rock out.

i think the problem is many people who aren't necessarily fans, booking tickets just to say they saw Guns N' Roses, like as a fashion statement.

• Like 2