Blabbermouth: Ron 'Bumblefoot' Thal Says Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy' Album Is A 'Masterpiece'

I love that Slash and Duff are back and that Guns sound more like how Guns originally sounded. However, I love Chinese Democracy and agree with Ron.

The guy is a class act, and was super cool with the fans. I met him in Toronto and it kind of reminded me of when I met Dimebag Darrell. I say this because you could feel how genuine the guy was. Very cool with his fans.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Bumblefoot loved the band, and really enjoyed playing the music for the fans. DJ loved the fame that playing in GNR allowed him, he used it solely as a platform to raise his profile, he was not backstage saying "can we play some new songs, can we release a new song at the start of each leg". 

Now I'm not saying that Bumblefoot was in GNR out of the goodness of his heart, but I think you can see what I'm getting at.

i am pretty sure that the primary motivating factor for each and every member of axl solo band to accept being in that band was the exposure -- and thus the possibility of raising their profile in UNTHINKABLE ways

then of course there was the money and the chance to travel the world and do all those things they would never be able to do on their own bands

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

i am pretty sure that the primary motivating factor for each and every member of axl solo band to accept being in that band was the exposure -- and thus the possibility of raising their profile in UNTHINKABLE ways

then of course there was the money and the chance to travel the world and do all those things they would never be able to do on their own bands

Can you tell me something about that solo band? I'm just aware of the history from Guns N' Roses between 1985 and 2017

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Ron's masterpiece was Art of Anarchy with Scott Stapp. But I like every single version of GNR. I think Ron wanted to be a true member of Guns but couldn't because of .....you know, bat shit crazy control freaks.

Little Brother Is Watching. That record as a whole is one of my personal favorites ever and shows just how good that motherfucker truly is.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

I kinda touched on what you said, but yes, of course! Money and exposure played a large role in his decision... But I'm not going discount everything he's ever said about joining guns, he turned it down and they chased him. He didn't think it was a good fit after his first jam and said no, and it wasn't until 2006 that he decided to roll the dice with them. Before joining he was content doing what he was doing (essentially what he's doing today)

As far as the solo band quip, as Pantera would say "walk on home boy"😂👊

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sosso said:

Can you tell me something about that solo band? I'm just aware of the history from Guns N' Roses between 1985 and 2017

oh, i dont know much about the solo band other than my favorite singer decided he was "guns n roses" and he hired some yes men to play with him as "guns n roses" and he decided to use a brand-new-never-tried-before clean voice that was never used in GNR and he started writing very sad and uninspiring lyrics (who had nothing to do with the great GNR lyrics) and all of these things made his solo album, his solo songs and his solo shows barely listenable/watchable.

i wont tell you anything about GNR cause you said you know it all -- and i believe you! :rofl-lol:

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I kinda touched on what you said, but yes, of course! Money and exposure played a large role in his decision... But I'm not going discount everything he's ever said about joining guns, he turned it down and they chased him. He didn't think it was a good fit after his first jam and said no, and it wasn't until 2006 that he decided to roll the dice with them. Before joining he was content doing what he was doing (essentially what he's doing today)

As far as the solo band quip, as Pantera would say "walk on home boy"😂👊

i had no idea about any of this but maybe it that makes my point even stronger

if he joined a band that he didn't think he was a good fit for and that he jammed with and didnt feel right...

then it kinda means that it wasnt for the music (or for the fun of playing with those guys) that he joined, right?

Yeah I used to get irritated by Bumble's complaints but in hindsight I actually sympathize with the guy. He had to go through a lot.

i think leaving the band was the best thing for him to do, and on the flipside of that, I think Slash and Duff coming back afterwards was the best thing for the band. 

Edited by rocknroll41

21 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Never got that vibe from Bumblefoot, I've talked with him a good few times and he was always super nice and the exact opposite of what you're describing. 

There were a couple of months during his tenure that he was not pleased with the band and how things were being run and he vented online, that wasn't the best choice. Having said that, it was honest and in my opinion everything he said was fair, like, when you're in a band you should release music, the management should inform you about upcoming plans, and when you've been in sever car crash and need time to recuperate you shouldn't be forced into a position of having to go on the road in spite of your health and well-being.

Spot on👍

I do think that the time has come for all of the people in "Nu GNR" to stop talking about it and move forward with their lives.  It's been 3.5 years already. Since the demise of "Nu GNR", GNR has move forward by getting back Slash and Duff along with having a very successful tour.  It's just time for them to move on. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Draguns said:

I do think that the time has come for all of the people in "Nu GNR" to stop talking about it and move forward with their lives.  It's been 3.5 years already. Since the demise of "Nu GNR", GNR has move forward by getting back Slash and Duff along with having a very successful tour.  It's just time for them to move on. 

So, if they're in an interview and someone asks them about their time in Guns N' Roses, you want them to say "Some guy called Draguns thinks I should never talk about that period of my life again, so I won't be answering your question."?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Graeme said:

So, if they're in an interview and someone asks them about their time in Guns N' Roses, you want them to say "Some guy called Draguns thinks I should never talk about that period of my life again, so I won't be answering your question."?

Easy answer to this is just to say that I've moved on from GNR and doing such and such thing. That's all. Bumblefoot left GNR 3.5 years ago. CD was 10 years ago.  It's time to move on.

How many times have we seen members from the "Nu GNR" era keep talking about CD or promoting themselves as part of GNR? There's got to be a point where enough is enough. 

4 minutes ago, estrangedtwat said:

Did Gilby get that memo?  Cause he was in the band for about 2 and a half years and he's still talking about it 25 years later.

At least Gilby didn't use an old GNR picture  and made people think that he's back in the band like some other guitarist did. 

6 hours ago, ludurigan said:

i had no idea about any of this but maybe it that makes my point even stronger

if he joined a band that he didn't think he was a good fit for and that he jammed with and didnt feel right...

then it kinda means that it wasnt for the music (or for the fun of playing with those guys) that he joined, right?

That's an interesting interpretation of what I said😅 

He didn't think it fit him as far as he was happy doing his own his own thing, and he figured joining gnr would essentially put the brakes on everything he was doing, this was while he was just getting some good traction on his own... I do enjoy how everyone says, bumble was some nobody guitar player😂 he wasn't exactly front cover of blabbermouth, but he was famous enough to tour around the world and to be discovered by Axl, so he was obviously a name enough before he joined guns... After he joined his name value obviously raised considerably.

Bumble joined for the same reasons as Brain, Richard, Gilby or Tommy or any member that joined gnr after the classic line up started to break away 1. Doing it on your own is tiring, and when a big break comes your way sometimes you just have to go with it. 2. GNR are a huge band and after hearing all the stories it would be interesting to play with Axl and co 3. Exposure for solo projects would be increased.

We can twist and turn the story, but from everything I've read and seen first hand I believe that he enjoyed a good few years of his tenure and only began to be unhappy after it was clear his involvement was just going to be of a touring capacity, and the aforementioned pressuring to tour while his spine was severely injured. He enjoyed playing a lot of the music, loved to meet and talk to fans and was generally the most pleasant member to encounter or contact. 

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

He doesn't bring gnr up, in fact I've seen him try his best to steer the conversation  away from gnr on several different occasions... But it just so happens that gnr is usually all interviewers want to talk about, just because they might get a juicy headline. 

He's a nice guy, so when he's asked a question he will respond, he isn't going to say "I'm not going to discuss this" 

Finally, that was the guts of a decade if his career, he can and should discuss that as much as he wants. I don't see anyone giving out about Gilby discussing his 3 years in gnr. Truth is, if bumble lifted the lid on all the juicy stories he knows your opinion on him discussing his time in gnr would change with a click of the fingers.