What sort of music video would GNR do?

Considering a comeback GNR album would be quite massive, do you guys think Axl would again want something "epic" or rather overblown in terms of music video again? I seem to remember an interview with Slash from around the time WOF came out where Slash said he isn't into making music videos anymore, and Axl hasnt done any for CD right? Except the unreleased Better one? It will be interesting to see which route they will go. For some reason I can't imagine them just doing a live performance video like SCOM these days, surely it will be something more accomplished? Or just do lyric videos like WOF? What do you guys think?

IDK..We are no longer in the MTV era. Nowadays videos have little relevance when compared to the late 80s and part of the 90s. They can make one or two videos to help promote a supposed album or music but I don’t believe that we’ll have things like the trilogy or even like Jungle, it’s not worth the investment, IMO. People don’t talk about videos anymore..Maybe it’s a good thing to the fans but casuals and mídia don’t care that much..at least not like the 80’s or 90’s. 

I can’t  imagine Axl acting in a video like NR or Estranged, it would be weird AF! :lol:

• Like 1

We know that Axl had Mickey Rourke agree to play the shackler for Shacklers Revenge if a video was ever made (in exchange for offering a discounted price to use SCOM in "The Wrestler"), so I'm guessing Axl would still like to make a story based music video in addition to making a MV using just live video clips (as was made for Better)

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 2

Id love it to be a Home Shopping Network spoof of them selling all their wares, along with live footage and cameos.

More likely a concert based video with back stage stuff and hopefully a shot at Trump.  And the obligatory shot of them getting on or off their plane.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, History2010 said:

A video for Catcher in the Rye does not exist.

There must have been reasoning for hiring a film crew for this footage, not just to be used on the big screens at shows.

4 hours ago, Raykugen said:

catcher video?

Rumoured that this was meant to be the basis of it.

On 31/01/2018 at 2:05 AM, Derick said:

IDK..We are no longer in the MTV era. Nowadays videos have little relevance when compared to the late 80s and part of the 90s. They can make one or two videos to help promote a supposed album or music but I don’t believe that we’ll have things like the trilogy or even like Jungle, it’s not worth the investment, IMO. People don’t talk about videos anymore..Maybe it’s a good thing to the fans but casuals and mídia don’t care that much..at least not like the 80’s or 90’s. 

I can’t  imagine Axl acting in a video like NR or Estranged, it would be weird AF! :lol:

There is nothing little about billion views, i would say they are even more revelant now and you dont need MTV anymore to decide when your video will be played, people can watch a video they love as much as they want.

Despacito is the biggest YT video ever with almost 5 billion views!! Music videos are the most warched videos on YT by far. And thanks to the internet and digital expansion worldwide helping them reach these insane numbers, they are getting a little more well made, more cinematic and 'artsy' again in the last years, which is a relief since with the fall of MTV and before the actual state of internet access around the world they really got very expendable and mediocre, but things are getting better.

But funny enough, new videos by legendary bands and artists have laughably low views compared to any video by a young artist, 10, 20, 30 mi... rarely above that, the most successful are the ones who for some reason resonate a little more with the kids, i think... 

But at least classics like NR are still being watched and discovered by the kids, timeless art.

NR will be the first music video not made in the 21st century to reach a billion views, i think they can easily make an impact with new music videos, but they need to show a little more effort to get there, new music would be a start. lol

Edited by Rickodez
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Rickodez said:

There is nothing little about billion views, i would say they are even more revelant now and you dont need MTV anymore to decide when your video will be played, people can watch a video they love as much as they want.

Despacito is the biggest YT video ever with almost 5 billion views!! Music videos are the most warched videos on YT by far. And thanks to the internet and digital expansion worldwide helping them reach these insane numbers, they are getting a little more well made, more cinematic and 'artsy' again in the last years, which is a relief since with the fall of MTV and before the actual state of internet access around the world they really got very expendable and mediocre, but things are getting better.

But funny enough, new videos by legendary bands and artists have laughably low views compared to any video by an young artist, 10, 20, 30 mi... rarely above that, the most successful are the ones who for some reason resonate a little more with the kids, i think... 

But at least classics like NR are still being watched and discovered by the kids, timeless art.

NR will be the first music video not made in the 21st century to reach a billion views, i think they can easily make an impact with new music videos, but they need to show a little more effort to get there, new music would be a start. lol

Great analysis there @Rickodez :headbang:

I like plain videos, like SCOM, Yesterday. I’d like something simple yet captivating. With tha band, candid footage of them, and so on...

Edited by Gabrielaerojas
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Rickodez said:

But funny enough, new videos by legendary bands and artists have laughably low views compared to any video by an young artist, 10, 20, 30 mi... rarely above that, the most successful are the ones who for some reason resonate a little more with the kids, i think... 

You´re absolutely right! I´m wrong in not to consider the power of platforms like Youtube have. I´m old and I'm stuck in the past and in that AFD/Trilogy/MTV thing, my bad.:crazy:

But yes, I´ve read something about this Despacito video and also something about Adele too I just for some reason didn´t associate this with GNR  but, in fact, those videos helped a lot to promote those songs. I don´t know about oldies rock bands like GNR but if they make a kickass video to put on Youtube they can have good results, not like those pop artists but something that can help in publicity..Youtube is everywhere!

Well, I changed my mind so I hope that Axl & Cia will be inspired and make good videos to promote an eventual album. Contrary to what I said before, it may be worth the investment and it may be a good market strategy to sell the album.

P.D.: Regarding the matter...Thanks for bringing me back to the present! Haha

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

When we are finished discussing a hypothetical video to a hypothetical song from a hypothetical record, I think we should discuss hypothetical details of this hypothetical song. Will it be written in dropped D tuning? Will it include a coda? Do you think it will have Axl whistling in it? Or feature sound clips from Cold Hand Luke?

• Haha 3

44 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah, they should keep it lowkey/humorous/fun (depending on the tone of the music, I'm picturing something tongue and cheek like VR's She Builds Quick Machines) and just post it to YouTube and their social media.

The video could tie into a movie and be featured in said movie. Get the film company to pay them for their new song to be featured in their film and have them also pay for production. For example if there's another Night At The Museum movie, our boys could be attractions frozen in the museum, maybe even in dinosaur/fossil outfits and then they come alive with the music.

Dude, that is inspired!  Fossils in a museum coming back to life!  That would be so great.  And the big budget movie used for video; it all makes sense.

On 31/01/2018 at 12:38 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

Considering a comeback GNR album would be quite massive, do you guys think Axl would again want something "epic" or rather overblown in terms of music video again? I seem to remember an interview with Slash from around the time WOF came out where Slash said he isn't into making music videos anymore, and Axl hasnt done any for CD right? Except the unreleased Better one? It will be interesting to see which route they will go. For some reason I can't imagine them just doing a live performance video like SCOM these days, surely it will be something more accomplished? Or just do lyric videos like WOF? What do you guys think?

i think there is nothing more accomplished than the promo video for sweet child o mine in the history of promo videos

but yeah i see that pretty much everyone here seems to here love those embarrassing GNC videos and seem to really feel and believe that they are good and accomplished