Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

35 minutes ago, LovelessNL said:

super deluxe should be 149 euro as per current exchange rates. Bol is screwing us over again. I'm going to wait till I see it in the wild for the right price

7 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Plus. don't they have some sort of legal issues with streaming West Arkeen material?  

I think the Arkeen Estate is making it hard for them to stream/release any songs co-penned with Arkeen which they haven't previously released.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, thunderram said:

They're including the Blu-Ray Audio disc and the '96kHz 24-bit 5.1 Surround Sound & Remastered Stereo' as the other unreleased material.

It contains the 12 AFD tracks, 5 bonus tracks and 5 videos (inc. It's So Easy).

Add that to the other 4 discs and you get 73 total and 49 unreleased (according to them).

Like I said above, still bullshit because they're listing the 73 tracks under the cd's and then listing the bluray separately.  

3 minutes ago, comboguns said:

then the song cornchucker will be on a UYI box set,  some songs from the spagheti incident, will be on the UYI box set, because they were recorded in 1991, like attitute, aint fun.

i think its highly unlikely cornchucker or one in a million will appear on anything new due to the lyrics. i would love to hear some other takes of down on the farm though 

1 minute ago, Stress Fracture said:

I was probably out at £650. I’m definitely out at £850.

In truth I’m most likely going with the 2CD remaster and streaming the rest.

Predictable but it seems Axl doesn’t fancy defending One in a Milllion in the woke era. RIP.

years ago he said that One in a Million would be removed from future pressings because it's "too easily misunderstood". Same with the Manson song. 

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It was written after Razzle's death in 1984, by Arkeen, Axl and Del James, but exactly when it was written is unknown. It is wildly assumed to be from '84-'86. When did Axl start writing with Arkeen? I don't know. When Axl decided not to release it with GN'R, not on AFD or UYIs, Arkeen sold it too two other bands, Asphalt Ballet and WildSide, who both released the song on their own records. Exactly who plays on the GN'R demo is unknown. I have always thought the lead guitar sounded kinda metal-ish, so I have been leaning more towards Tracii than Slash, but I have been wrong before. The question is also whether Axl knew Arkeen already in early 1985 when Tracii was still in the band.  

Aren't all those songs you listed co-written by Arkeen? This was from the demo I believe he pushed. So more West Arkeen than Guns N' Roses. That being said, Arkeen was almost like the sixth band member back then. It was kind of fluid. Some of the songs were released by GN'R, with Arkeen getting song-writing credits, some were rejected by GN'R, although they did demo them.

Danny Clarke of Asphalt Ballet co-wrote the original Crash Diet with Axl and West. Once Axl wasn’t going to release it with Guns West shopped it around. Danny ended up getting it for AB. West as you said also sold it to Wildside. They changed the ending of the song in an “insensitive” way and Axl wouldn’t let them release it. But they ended up releasing it eventually on a rarities album. My guess would be Danny Clarke plays guitar on the original Crash Diet demo. Which would most likely place the recording around 88/89

• Like 1

It was written after Razzle's death in 1984, by Arkeen, Axl and Del James, but exactly when it was written is unknown. It is wildly assumed to be from '84-'86. When did Axl start writing with Arkeen? I don't know. When Axl decided not to release it with GN'R, not on AFD or UYIs, Arkeen sold it too two other bands, Asphalt Ballet and WildSide, who both released the song on their own records. Exactly who plays on the GN'R demo is unknown. I have always thought the lead guitar sounded kinda metal-ish, so I have been leaning more towards Tracii than Slash, but I have been wrong before. The question is also whether Axl knew Arkeen already in early 1985 when Tracii was still in the band.  

Aren't all those songs you listed co-written by Arkeen? This was from the demo I believe he pushed. So more West Arkeen than Guns N' Roses. That being said, Arkeen was almost like the sixth band member back then. It was kind of fluid. Some of the songs were released by GN'R, with Arkeen getting song-writing credits, some were rejected by GN'R, although they did demo them.

Not disputing West Arkeen's involvement at all. We just don't know when the tracks I posted were recorded. Could they have been during the AFD era? It's possible. We know several songs that ended up on the UYI albums were around during the AFD era. Perhaps these were too? I dunno. Perhaps my POV is wrong, but I've always felt they were viewed by most as UYI era stuff.

With regard to lead guitar, I fully agree it ain't Slash. I thought I read way back when that it was West Arkeen on guitar, but that could be wrong too.

Shadow of your love as a new single. I think this is kinda sad in a way. 

The Plague is gonna be a big nothing, not a song.

All these demo versions? Not really interrested, all I'd like to have/buy is Heartbreak Hotel, Jumpin Jack Flash and the accoustic Move to the city.

Regarding the remastered AFD - I'll wait for reviews and opinions, maybe they found a way to fuck that up too. :D

I don't know, with the crazy prices and all, I once again feel let down by GnR.

2 minutes ago, Grayfox said:

Danny Clarke of Asphalt Ballet co-wrote the original Crash Diet with Axl and West. Once Axl wasn’t going to release it with Guns West shopped it around. Danny ended up getting it for AB. West as you said also sold it to Wildside. They changed the ending of the song in an “insensitive” way and Axl wouldn’t let them release it. But they ended up releasing it eventually on a rarities album. My guess would be Danny Clarke plays guitar on the original Crash Diet demo. Which would most likely place the recording around 88/89

I believe Danny Clarke is credited only on the Asphalt Ballet version, because he added something onto the song. I don't think he has anything to do with the GN'R demo version.

1 minute ago, thunderram said:

Not disputing West Arkeen's involvement at all. We just don't know when the tracks I posted were recorded. Could they have been during the AFD era? It's possible. We know several songs that ended up on the UYI albums were around during the AFD era. Perhaps these were too? I dunno. Perhaps my POV is wrong, but I've always felt they were viewed by most as UYI era stuff.

With regard to lead guitar, I fully agree it ain't Slash. I thought I read way back when that it was West Arkeen on guitar, but that could be wrong too.

I mentioned above in a reply to another post some detail on Crash Diet. Danny Clarke the guitarist for Asphalt Ballet co-wrote it with West and Axl. Most likely he plays guitar along with West. They wrote it while Danny was part of Asphalt Ballet which started in 1988. So the song would be from 1988/89 most likely. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, action said:

super deluxe should be 149 euro as per current exchange rates. Bol is screwing us over again. I'm going to wait till I see it in the wild for the right price

They are actually smart, just checked gnrmerch, including shipping to would cost just over €185 at the current euro/dollar rate. But maybe it will be cheaper at other places, not sure. Haven't checked what Amazon shipping would cost for example.

13 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Yeah, a lot of those songs were pre-Appetite but didn't make the cut for Appetite and ended up on Illusions ( or demos from that era).

Right. Just like Perfect Crime, You Could be Mine, Yesterdays, November Rain, Don't Cry, etc.

But I don't know if anyone knows (other than the members of GN'R) when those drum machine demos were actually recorded. While Arkeen's songs may have been around longer, those demos may not have been recorded until after AFD dropped. We just don't know.

Right or wrong, the bootlegs that leaked out in the early 90's referred to them as 'Lost' or 'Unwanted' Illusions', which is why many fans associate them that way.

2 minutes ago, Grayfox said:

I mentioned above in a reply to another post some detail on Crash Diet. Danny Clarke the guitarist for Asphalt Ballet co-wrote it with West and Axl. Most likely he plays guitar along with West. They wrote it while Danny was part of Asphalt Ballet which started in 1988. So the song would be from 1988/89 most likely. 

Well, if true, that certainly would be post-AFD era.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Right. Just like Perfect Crime, You Could be Mine, Yesterdays, November Rain, Don't Cry, etc.

But I don't know if anyone knows (other than the members of GN'R) when those drum machine demos were actually recorded. While Arkeen's songs may have been around longer, those demos may not have been recorded until after AFD dropped. We just don't know.

Right or wrong, the bootlegs that leaked out in the early 90's referred to them as 'Lost' or 'Unwanted' Illusions', which is why many fans associate them that way.

Axl did consider putting Crash Diet on UYI, so in that sense it makes sense. And it seems like Arkeen waited until Axl had made that decision to sell the songs to Asphalt Ballet and WildSyde. I suppose Axl had a first reight-of-refusal. Arkeen probably hoped the songs would be released by GN'R, resulting in more royalties to him.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

Axl did consider putting Crash Diet on UYI, so in that sense it makes sense. And it seems like Arkeen waited until Axl had made that decision to sell the songs to Asphalt Ballet and WildSyde. I suppose Axl had a first reight-of-refusal.  

It brings up an interesting quandary. While tracks like Don't Cry, Perfect Crime, You Could Be Mine, and November Rain are on UYI -- they can still be considered AFD era. Same logic could be used for Crash Diet even though it never made it on any album.

It really all depends upon how you want to look at it. A good deal of GN'R's material was around well before the 1st album ever dropped. Much of what didn't make the AFD cut, ended up on Lies or UYI yet still came from the same time frame.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I believe Danny Clarke is credited only on the Asphalt Ballet version, because he added something onto the song. I don't think he has anything to do with the GN'R demo version.

I’m going by this source. I mean it could be wrong but it makes the most sense. Especially since since Slash said he didn’t know who did the track.

"All I know is what happened on our side of things," a source from Asphalt Ballet who asked not to be named tells Ultimate Classic Rock. "We were long time friends with West, and hung out with Axl and Del, so for us, it was a song we were all familiar with, and since Danny was a part of writing it, we thought it fit our second singer, who sounded more like Axl than our first singer. So it was something we all agreed would work well on that record. Guns N' Roses didn't end up doing the song, so we asked West, Axl and Del if it was cool if we did it. We recorded it and put it on our second full-length record. Since then rumors have taken over the story."

Regarding Crash Diet, this site claims the demo we know is from 1986: http://whatculture.com/music/guns-n-roses-15-obscure-tracks-youve-probably-never-heard?page=14 

Don't know if we can trust that site, though.

It's probably hard to say which songs belong to which period and which doesn't. With this release I believe the band has focused on AFD and studio sessions meant to support songs for that release. Some songs still ended up on UYI either because they couldn't fit more songs onto AFD or because they didn't fit musically, yet are included in this release because they came out of the same kind of period. Then we have the EPs Live!? Like A Suicide and Lies, which the band then, and probably now, consider "supporting material" to AFD. So it all kind of comes from the same period. But I am sure the band members themselves will have different opinions on this, and I am sure it depends on one's perspective.

4 minutes ago, Grayfox said:

I’m going by this source. I mean it could be wrong but it makes the most sense. Especially since since Slash said he didn’t know who did the track.

"All I know is what happened on our side of things," a source from Asphalt Ballet who asked not to be named tells Ultimate Classic Rock. "We were long time friends with West, and hung out with Axl and Del, so for us, it was a song we were all familiar with, and since Danny was a part of writing it, we thought it fit our second singer, who sounded more like Axl than our first singer. So it was something we all agreed would work well on that record. Guns N' Roses didn't end up doing the song, so we asked West, Axl and Del if it was cool if we did it. We recorded it and put it on our second full-length record. Since then rumors have taken over the story."

I think you are right, although I still believe the song is early, 1986. 

'Are you perhaps pasting from Appetite for Discussion? ;)

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, username said:

:lol: 

Seriously, WHAT uyi boxset? This is pure speculation and will most likely never happen. 

once they make their 10 million dollars selling these boxes, it will happen very fast

51 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Indeed there is.

this is likely an illusions outtake

20 minutes ago, Grayfox said:

Incorrect.

NOT co-written by Danny Clarke.  He changed it around after the fact.

NOT from '88/'89, the Hell House era was late '86 early '87.  Pre-AFD.

2 hours ago, Kasanova King said:

I just did the math.  According to those old rumors, the record label supposedly lost around $10 million on Chinese Democracy.  $1000 per box set X 10,000 units is $10 million dollars.  Coincidence?  :lol:

I wonder what the actual profit margin is on these things though. They're selling them for 1000, but you'd have to subtract all their costs. Production, development, shipping etc. I'd love to know their cost-price. 

£149 for CDs!! Holy shit they have fucked this up. Nobody buys CDs, especially at that price. Had it been vinyls, sure. I'd have thought about it. But no, £850 for vinyls. Eight hundred and fifty fucking pounds. fuck. off. What a joke. Absolutely pathetic. Led Zep remasters were £25 for extensive vinyl remasters, with unreleased tracks and live shows. 

• Like 2