Appetite for Destruction Remastered General Thread

3 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Regarding Crash Diet, this site claims the demo we know is from 1986: http://whatculture.com/music/guns-n-roses-15-obscure-tracks-youve-probably-never-heard?page=14 

Don't know if we can trust that site, though.

It's probably hard to say which songs belong to which period and which doesn't. With this release I believe the band has focused on AFD and studio sessions meant to support songs for that release. Some songs still ended up on UYI either because they couldn't fit more songs onto AFD or because they didn't fit musically, yet are included in this release because they came out of the same kind of period. Then we have the EPs Live!? Like A Suicide and Lies, which the band then, and probably now, consider "supporting material" to AFD. So it all kind of comes from the same period. But I am sure the band members themselves will have different opinions on this, and I am sure it depends on one's perspective.

I think you are right, although I still believe the song is early, 1986. 

'Are you perhaps pasting from Appetite for Discussion? ;)

Pasting from Ultimate Classic Rock. I believe the song could date back to 1986. But I believe the demo we have in circulation is from 89. Personally. But I say that because of the distinct tone of Axls voice. In 86 had a high cleanish voice. But the Crash Diet vocals sound like the 89 versions of Yesterday’s and The Garden from the Bar with West. Which also shows around 89 Axl was writing a lot with West. But that’s just my opinion.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tadsy said:

I'm going to sound like a bitch here, but in just not that excited by this. I dunno if I'm in the minority cause there seems to be some excited people but I can't get my head around the following: 

1. All these demos/unfinished versions of songs never made the cut for the original record so why is it so expensive? 

2. AFD is fine the way it is (just my personal opinion), I don't care that it may sound "dated" when I turn my stereo up it sounds rad. 

3. From what we've garnered so far, most people have listened to most of this so far on YouTube at some point or another anyway. 

4. The booklet and the box is probably all pretty cool, but I've already got canters book as a centre piece on my coffee table and there's plenty of cool pics in that anyway. 

5. The SOYL version that I just listened too was "ok" but nothing to get too excited about. 

The only thing that redeems this in is in my eyes Is that if this counts as fulfilling their contract with Geffen, then it may open up doors for new music to be released with less road blocks. 

1. its so expensive because of the extras, not because of the music. this box is clearly not music-centred. its toys-centred

2. yep

3. people been listening to this since the nineties when internet didnt even exist. except for THE PLAGUE and WORKTUNE and maybe a few more that are uncirculated. i truly hope they did a good job on those demos that everyone knows. who knows? they may sound fantastic

4. hahahaha. yeah, who needs photos?

5. its live-eraid if you ask me

Edited by ludurigan

55 minutes ago, username said:

No. Those are demo's from a later period.

I'm kind of bummed Ain't Going Down is an instrumental though. I think there's a demo from the AFD years with lyrics from another session. 

No there's not.

There's only 3 surfaced recordings of 'Ain't Going Down' :

- Sound City instrumental june '86, available on bootlegs, , will be on AFD boxset

- Live recording from august '86 (by Marc Canter), available on bootlegs

- UYI outtake (with vocals), rough mix available on bootlegs, finished version released officially in '94 on pinball machine

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mustard Tiger said:

£149 for CDs!! Holy shit they have fucked this up. Nobody buys CDs, especially at that price. Had it been vinyls, sure. I'd have thought about it. But no, £850 for vinyls. Eight hundred and fifty fucking pounds. fuck. off. What a joke. Absolutely pathetic. Led Zep remasters were £25 for extensive vinyl remasters, with unreleased tracks and live shows. 

Pretty sure you can get just the vinyls for around $30.

3 minutes ago, username said:

I wonder what the actual profit margin is on these things though. They're selling them for 1000, but you'd have to subtract all their costs. Production, development, shipping etc. I'd love to know their cost-price. 

"development"

gimme a break

4 minutes ago, username said:

I wonder what the actual profit margin is on these things though. They're selling them for 1000, but you'd have to subtract all their costs. Production, development, shipping etc. I'd love to know their cost-price. 

Biggest cost would probably be production cost but that would be averaged out among all units sold, not just the 1000 units of the expensive set.

I guess it really depends where they are making the box set.  If it's made in China or somewhere in Asia, material/manufacturing  costs probably wouldn't be all that much.  The "hand made" cross is interesting...that might add to the cost.  Total guess on my part but I think the $1000 set probably has a decent profit margin.

15 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Pretty sure you can get just the vinyls for around $30.

You can get the remastered Appetite for £30 on vinyl, but I'm talking about all the extra disks, which are currently only available on CD for £150 or as part of the stupid box for £850. They fucked it. Big time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

You can get the remastered Appetite for £30 on vinyl, but I'm talking about all the extra disks, which are currently only available on CD for £150 or as part of the stupid box for £850. They fucked it. Big time. 

Someone mentioned they are on iTunes for $30 and I suspect they will drop on Spotify.

18 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

"development"

gimme a break

Really? You can't wrap your mind around having meetings to decide what is to be included, deciding on packaging and versions, production, remastering, selecting vendors for production and the whole process around producing a set like this? I'm not saying it justifies the price. But I am saying you can bet your ass they've made a lot of costs (workhours, third party expenses) in creating this. You can say "give me a break" all you want, but that's the way a business works. It's not Axl, Slash and Duff sitting in a room, deciding this over a beer and then a set magically appears. 

Lol, the international shops (Uk and germany at least) are down? Or am I wrong? O top of that, the extra disc is unavaible in a normal vinyl package? Typical. 

Edited by st0n3r

22 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Biggest cost would probably be production cost but that would be averaged out among all units sold, not just the 1000 units of the expensive set.

I guess it really depends where they are making the box set.  If it's made in China or somewhere in Asia, material/manufacturing  costs probably wouldn't be all that much.  The "hand made" cross is interesting...that might add to the cost.  Total guess on my part but I think the $1000 set probably has a decent profit margin.

True. But it's also the part I mentioned above they want a return on investment on. 

And we all know Fernando is the best at unnecessarily long meetings! :lol: 

Edited by username

I really dont understand the ongoing discussion about the production price of the box. I mean, if you buy a car, or a TV, or even a steak, you don't get it at just the bare price it costs to make the damn thing. Its all about demand/supply and the ammount of the units you can ship a certain price. GNR is definitely no NGO or just in it to break-even, so why suddenly all the discussion about what it would cost to manufactor a box or press a CD or LP?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

Agreed. If the super deluxe had the vinyls i'd probably buy it.

They made sure to add the dumb temporary tattoos and fake ticket stubs though  :facepalm:

1 minute ago, LovelessNL said:

I really dont understand the ongoing discussion about the production price of the box. I mean, if you buy a car, or a TV, or even a steak, you don't get it at just the bare price it costs to make the damn thing. Its all about demand/supply and the ammount of the units you can ship a certain price. GNR is definitely no NGO or just in it to break-even, so why suddenly all the discussion about what it would cost to manufactor a box or press a CD or LP?

Personally I'm just wondering if there's a huge profit margin on these, or more of a regular one because the development/production costs are very high. 

Basically, I want to know how hard they're fucking us with these. :lol: 

Just now, username said:

Personally I'm just wondering if there's a huge profit margin on these, or more of a regular one because the development/production costs are very high. 

Basically, I want to know how hard they're fucking us with these. :lol: 

I think it for every set except the wooden box it's more in the volumes then actually making a huge margin on a single unit. But yeah I guess they'll make quite a few bucks on the box, but you are very right that a lot of hours have gone in creating it, designing the box, the litho's, posters, picks, everything. Someone has to manage all this, discuss it back and forth with everybody who has a say in it, prepare this whole gnr.fm thing, and I have to say; they did a fine job in keeping it under wraps for so long.

1 minute ago, LovelessNL said:

I think it for every set except the wooden box it's more in the volumes then actually making a huge margin on a single unit. But yeah I guess they'll make quite a few bucks on the box, but you are very right that a lot of hours have gone in creating it, designing the box, the litho's, posters, picks, everything. Someone has to manage all this, discuss it back and forth with everybody who has a say in it, prepare this whole gnr.fm thing, and I have to say; they did a fine job in keeping it under wraps for so long.

I'm amazed that the idiot who gave the $650 price tag suckered so many people. 

19 minutes ago, username said:

Really? You can't wrap your mind around having meetings to decide what is to be included, deciding on packaging and versions, production, remastering, selecting vendors for production and the whole process around producing a set like this? I'm not saying it justifies the price. But I am saying you can bet your ass they've made a lot of costs (workhours, third party expenses) in creating this. You can say "give me a break" all you want, but that's the way a business works. It's not Axl, Slash and Duff sitting in a room, deciding this over a beer and then a set magically appears. 

do you think i dont know these things?

my point that this is a very poorly "developed" boxset

its basically recordings that were already released (most just repackaged, some remastered)

plus one big studio session that was never released

and what else?

toys

toys

and more toys

do you think there is any serious development needed for this?

gimme a break!

15 minutes ago, LovelessNL said:

The discussion stemmed from seeing if the record label was trying to recoup the money they lost from Chinese Democracy.  It was really mostly tongue-in-cheek.  And most likely, most of the profit is going to the label, not GN'R. ;)

So much negativity lol My simple dream for the past decade has been a new GNR single on the radio n hearing that today has made the wait worth it.

Having beers knowin the greatest rock band ever has a new single on rotation n a new product coming.

Oh n its Axl n Slash n Duff together again.....Simply unbelievable from a die hard CD guy :)

1 hour ago, LovelessNL said:

They are actually smart, just checked gnrmerch, including shipping to would cost just over €185 at the current euro/dollar rate. But maybe it will be cheaper at other places, not sure. Haven't checked what Amazon shipping would cost for example.

So actually you could get it on Amazon with standard shipping would cost around 155 euros at current rates. But it might take three weeks to arrive...