Axl on american dad

38 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I believe it was a preemptive strike from DD. :lol:

These topics generally follow a formula:

1. Someone will post a topic featuring a show/artist/movie-whatever with a less than flattering view of Axl. 

2. Someone else will come in and knock said show/artist to defend Axl from perceived attack. 

3. Then people like DD or myself will show up to make a sarcastic remark about the redhead. 

4. Axl trolls emerge from hiding. Topic derails into a 10 page dumpster fire.

5. Blackstar/Lenny show up to balance the force. 

Rinse/Repeat.

Since there's been no new music for nearly a decade, we've all become complacent old farts here. 

Lol, I hear ya. 

I guess as a life long Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson fan, I've learned to get over people making fun of an artists appearance. 

Having said that, I've always thought Axl's outfits have been pretty bad up to and including this past year. 

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more mention of it than just this American Dad episode. 

15 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Having said that, I've always thought Axl's outfits have been pretty bad up to and including this past year. 

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more mention of it than just this American Dad episode. 

Agreed. The frequent costume changes are ripe for mockery. 

I get that it's all a part of Axl's idiosyncrasies as an artist but he's making it too easy. :lol:

1 hour ago, RONIN said:

I believe it was a preemptive strike from DD. :lol:

These topics generally follow a formula:

1. Someone will post a topic featuring a show/artist/movie-whatever with a less than flattering view of Axl. 

2. Someone else will come in and knock said show/artist to defend Axl from perceived attack. 

3. Then people like DD or myself will show up to make a sarcastic remark about the redhead. 

4. Axl trolls emerge from hiding. Topic derails into a 10 page dumpster fire.

5. Blackstar/Lenny show up to balance the force. 

Rinse/Repeat.

Since there's been no new music for nearly a decade, we've all become complacent old farts here. 

Ahahahahahhaahhaaahha true true true true that! :awesomeface:

You know, Im supposed to be one of the Axl critics here but I didnt find it funny. Well, I didnt understand it to be honest! :rofl-lol:

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Ahahahahahhaahhaaahha true true true true that! :awesomeface:

You know, Im supposed to be one of the Axl critics here but I didnt find it funny. Well, I didnt understand it to be honest! :rofl-lol:

I don't know if it was intended to be funny or literal in that the character is being tortured with Axl pics.

Think about it, being force-fed images of bloated Axl clockwork-orange style sounds brutal. :D

4 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I don’t know the show and I don’t get it. Were they referring to Axl as „that hideous woman“? :shrugs::question:

Yes. ;)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, RONIN said:

bloated Axl clockwork-orange style sounds brutal. :D

OMG, finally someone’s saying it. And yeah, thanks, I got it by now :rofl-lol:

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Same here. On first reaction. Second is more like this :awesomeface::popcorn:

Edited by Tori72

13 minutes ago, RONIN said:

I don't know if it was intended to be funny or literal in that the character is being tortured with Axl pics.

Think about it, being force-fed images of bloated Axl clockwork-orange style sounds brutal. :D

Lol, yeah I understood it was a homage to Clockwork Orange, lol, apparently he needs to stop liking sex or having too much sex, so they pair pics of hot girls and sex with those of old Axl, but I didn't understand what he says in the last part :question:

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Any number of people get pointed out in shows like South Park, The Simpsons, Family Guy who aren't 'relevant', it doesn't mean they hate em, its called comedy.  Like humour, y'know, jokes?  In fact, far from only targeting the 'relevant', they frequently point towards the kitsch and out of date.  Christ, did you think Matlock and MacGuyver were contemporary when The Simpsons used to rag on em?

It comes across as more of an inside joke when Axl is used. If you did a poll of people who watched this and knew that was Axl it would have to be less than 10% knew.

49 minutes ago, cremefraiche said:

I like American Dad, not a fan of much of other of Seth Macfarlane's work, but I think ripping on someone's personal appearance alone is weak - not offensive to me personally, just lazy

Unless it's for a specific reason, like the way South Park rip in to people they've had feuds with, or socially infamous criminals, or even, say, any number of political caricatures in magazines etc.

But straight up putting a picture of someone in a public forum and essentially saying 'that guy's ugly' is pretty mean.

I have a extreeemely non-PC sense of humour but sometimes find it hard to know what my own opinion on these things is sometimes because the line between bullying and making a clever joke can be so hard to define.

If they had made a joke about a money grab tour or something I think anyone would find that funny, or at least somewhat relevant. But like, calling out a dude for simply looking feminine or out of shape whatever, is pretty rude, I didn't think we did that any more. We certainly aren't allowed to fat shame women celebrities - not that we should be, which is my point - it shouldn't happen to anyone regardless.

By Axl standards he's been nothing but gracious the entire NITL era, as in no public scandals etc. So there's no sudden relevance to base it off, I just have to imagine one of the writer's has it in for Axl which is pretty cringe haha

I'm a strong believer too in that either everything is OK to joke about, or nothing is - I just think that wasn't a joke, it was just someone being a dick

Not replying to anyone in particular here, just thought i'd jump in with my two cents, as a fan of Axl and the show :) 

I think many people wonder why Axl couldn't age gracefully..... Maybe it is the fact of him going out of the public eye for so many years that it is a shock to see him now.

Like, the last popular image of Axl as from 1993 ?........ The general audience didn't see him age like the rest of celebrities who remained active. Some people can't tolerate he is not a hot guy anymore, I really don't know why, but the first thing a non-fan tells me when I show them the current Axl is that he looks awful and ask me what happened to him :shrugs:

1 hour ago, IncitingChaos said:

It comes across as more of an inside joke when Axl is used. If you did a poll of people who watched this and knew that was Axl it would have to be less than 10% knew.

Well when you make a point of pulling or attempting to pull grotesque looking pics of yourself from circulation as a public figure you’re kinda setting yourself up for that, I don’t think its an in-joke, I think it’s pretty obvious what the joke is.

13 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Apologies if this should be on a different sub-forum (or if it's already been posted).

Found this today. I think it's only a day or two old. Thought it was fairly amusing (albeit a little mean lol):

I don't have a problem with shows mocking the bands I like, for example when South Park took aim at Metallica I enjoyed it, even though I disagreed with the message they were trying to sell. However this show isn't funny and this clip (out of context) has nothing funny contained in it... However I do enjoy other Seth MacFarlane shows/movies.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't have a problem with shows mocking the bands I like, for example when South Park took aim at Metallica I enjoyed it, even though I disagreed with the message they were trying to sell. However this show isn't funny and this clip (out of context) has nothing funny contained in it... However I do enjoy other Seth MacFarlane shows/movies.  

I agree overall that the show is weak.

• Like 2

I'm not offended by the joke, I'm not Axl and I'm not related to him. I just think it was incredibly unfunny and a cheap shot. What's the joke here? Axl looks like a girl? Not...really? Is it an inside joke by the producers? Do they have something against him?

Oh and I'm actually a huge fan of American Dad, so it's not a biased view or anything. I genuinely think there was no purpose to this "joke".

10 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I'm not offended by the joke, I'm not Axl and I'm not related to him. I just think it was incredibly unfunny and a cheap shot. What's the joke here? Axl looks like a girl? Not...really? Is it an inside joke by the producers? Do they have something against him?

Oh and I'm actually a huge fan of American Dad, so it's not a biased view or anything. I genuinely think there was no purpose to this "joke".

"When Steve is forced to attend Sex Aversion Therapy Camp in "My Purity Ball and Chain", he is subjected to images of loving couples interspersed with close ups of herpe sores and Axl Rose until the very sight of girls makes him nauseous."

http://americandad.wikia.com/wiki/Axl_Rose

:shrugs:

Apparently, some people think his looks are repulsive nowadays.