Is Slash really a better guitarist today than he was in the 90s?

3 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

Yesterdays’s solo today is like shit

Yeah, I agree.  He needs to stop noodling when performing real Gn'R melodic solos.  Yesterdays is such a melodic, slow-paced solo that when you play it faster and add unnecessary notes to it, you just ruin it.

Overall, yes he's a better guitarist. I love his inputs on the CD songs. The rawness and solos on CD, and the "slashy" melodic solo on Better (but maby cut it into too many tunes, but the concept is still amazing).

Sometimes I think he plays a bit sloppy on both the UYI and AFD songs (but not the way he did on heroin 30 years ago). But the highlights reach a new level he haven't reached before. 

On 7/5/2018 at 3:13 AM, AncientEvil80 said:

Musicians are humans. And their performance is both mental and physical. Therefore, not to be pedantic using logic here, they are prone to peaks and troughs in performance just like everyone else.

So I'm sorry but 100% disagree, instrumentalist musicians DO HAVE their prime periods. Perhaps and most likely there are exceptions, but the vast majority for one reason or another after a certain peak (which can also last decades, eh...) will inevitably see a noticeable decrease in performance.

Since we're talking about guitarists, tendons/joints/nerve damage in particular of the left hand/wrist/arm is usually the first inevitable reason for a decline in technical ability. Loss of mental capacity due to age or inappropriate lifestyle (ehrm ehrm.. :slash:) is also a significant factor.

Then of course, external factors such as lack of inspiration or different motivations etc will also play a role but that's a different story.

As for our Slashie-boy, I think it's fair to say he found new "words" in his vocabulary to express himself but clearly also lost or abandoned other ones. So a mixed bag for me personally. I prefer to listen to what he was expressing back in his 20's than now. But just personal choice here.

All in all, he has maintained a rather even level of performance through the decades, gracefully and quite impressively. I can't complain - I mean... look at Kirk Hammett as a prime example of performance degeneration. :facepalm: Or Yngwie (car accident to be accounted for though..)

Roger Waters wrote most of The Wall after his thirty-fifth birthday. The reason? He spent most of his youth, not writing the songs for the band. He had bullets in the gun, ideas that hadn't been used etc.

It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with what's left in the artist. One look at movie and video game composers (John Williams was well into his forties when he scored Star Wars and pushing fifty when he scored E.T.) and you'll see that age has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Nintari

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

Roger Waters wrote most of The Wall after his thirty-fifth birthday. The reason? He spent most of his youth, not writing the songs for the band. He had bullets in the gun, ideas that hadn't been used etc.

It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with what's left in the artist. One look at movie and video game composers (John Williams was well into his forties when he scored Star Wars and pushing fifty when he scored E.T.) and you'll see that age has nothing to do with it.

Did you even read what I wrote? Guess not. 

In any case, you say it yourself: what's left in the artist. The artistic product/performance will be affected by what's left in the artist, mentally as well as physically. It's not as if those "bullets in the gun" just exists in the ether by themselves. 

A person in his 50's will have a different personality and sensitivity than he used to have in his early 20's... that doesn't preclude either outcome (better or worse) when it comes to musical production/creation, but ignoring it is simply confirmation bias.

Very Rare do the greats get better after 30 years but they are a few exceptions - SLASH-STEVE VAI-ZAKK WYLDE -DIMEBAG DARRELL , Slash's take on TIL blows away the album version or any other version played live before him , Damn have u any of u listened to his solo on this tour mindblowing , Blues lead is killer  and shredding the GF , SLASH is playing at the top of his game right now , hell dont ask me just listen to what  the late Vinnie PAUL said about him after attending a how on the NITLT , go find out what ZAKK WYLDE said about him after playing a few gigs on this tour , listen to Dave Navaroo and his quotes , Listen to LARS , lISTEN tO MARK TREMONTI , Check out on the net what STEVE VAI  HAS SAID about Slash and his chops on this tour , listen to what Joe Perry, Angus Young and Ron Wood say about playing right now -SLASH is in Elite company right now  just like he was from DAY 1 , and if u want my opinion I seen this tour 3 times -he is playing mindblowing licks , how about the wahwah outro and the end of SCOM , GET U SOME OF THAT -TOP 5 PLAYER ON THIS PLANET 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AncientEvil80 said:

Uhhh.... just no. Especially considering he hasn't written anything worth remembering since the Illusions...

Hmmmm. Guitar player in maybe the biggest tour in the decade,

for you who's  on top 5 guitar players?

Beyonce's guitar player?

Robin Finck?

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 8:58 AM, AncientEvil80 said:

Uhhh.... just no. Especially considering he hasn't written anything worth remembering since the Illusions...

Slash is the riff master of the era - He has wrote more incredible riffs since illusions than than anyone in the hard rock business playing right now , His solos , jamfests and outro solos have never stopped live or on record , SLASH is  Killing right now and has since he stared 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

On 7/14/2018 at 7:57 AM, TMAC20 said:

Slash is the riff master of the era - He has wrote more incredible riffs since illusions than than anyone in the hard rock business playing right now , His solos , jamfests and outro solos have never stopped live or on record , SLASH is  Killing right now and has since he stared 

imo I think for hard rock riffs Josh Homme was the man late 90's through the 2000's, though the well seems to have dried up lately. i'd also say Jerry Cantrell has Slash beat purely on riffs. Love my man Slash though make no mistake.

Edited by Silverburst80

On 7/13/2018 at 8:42 PM, Silverburst80 said:

imo I think for hard rock riffs Josh Homme was the man late 90's through the 2000's, though the well seems to have dried up lately. i'd also say Jerry Cantrell has Slash beat purely on riffs. Love my man Slash though make no mistake.

Queens of the stone age has some super riffs ? I didnt know that , Jerry Cantrell is badass , still cant riff with SLASH 

On 7/12/2018 at 8:16 AM, TMAC20 said:

Very Rare do the greats get better after 30 years but they are a few exceptions - SLASH-STEVE VAI-ZAKK WYLDE -DIMEBAG DARRELL , Slash's take on TIL blows away the album version or any other version played live before him , Damn have u any of u listened to his solo on this tour mindblowing , Blues lead is killer  and shredding the GF , SLASH is playing at the top of his game right now , hell dont ask me just listen to what  the late Vinnie PAUL said about him after attending a how on the NITLT , go find out what ZAKK WYLDE said about him after playing a few gigs on this tour , listen to Dave Navaroo and his quotes , Listen to LARS , lISTEN tO MARK TREMONTI , Check out on the net what STEVE VAI  HAS SAID about Slash and his chops on this tour , listen to what Joe Perry, Angus Young and Ron Wood say about playing right now -SLASH is in Elite company right now  just like he was from DAY 1 , and if u want my opinion I seen this tour 3 times -he is playing mindblowing licks , how about the wahwah outro and the end of SCOM , GET U SOME OF THAT -TOP 5 PLAYER ON THIS PLANET 

do you have links to these quotes? I'm especially interested to hear what Steve Vai has said about slash.  thanks 

He was a better guitarist with Conspirators until about 2012, then something happened.
With Gn'R is nowhere near where he was in the 90's: lack of taste in improvising, poor lick selection and endless noodling.

We all agree that making comparison with the early days in general could be pointless, but he's really the worst aged rock guitarist right now. Playing guitar in time should make you better and better (experience grows fast with instruments), not the opposite.

I really believe it's just laziness tho, almost the same shit as Axl. As long as most of fans are ok with that, we'll never see those two willing to improve, or give their real 100% at least.

Edited by Torb

2 hours ago, Indybailey said:

do you have links to these quotes? I'm especially interested to hear what Steve Vai has said about slash.  thanks 

Zakk wylde really?. His pinch harmonics turns people off now days. He plays to many of them on no rest for the wicked. Though i do love his solo in fire in the sky.

Edited by Sydney Fan

21 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Zakk wylde really?. His pinch harmonics turns people off now days. He plays to many of them on no rest for the wicked. Though i do love his solo in fire in the sky.

most great guitarists from the 80's or 90's play like poop nowadays. including Zakk. as much as I adore his playing at Book of Shadows and also like his playing on Ozzmosis for example, I think his stuff since 2000 is shitty.

I couldn't care less what Slash sounds like on non GNR related insignificant songs like CD material. 99% of the fans just want to hear him play the songs he helped write. Nobody gives a shit how much noodling he does on CD songs. He doesn't care enough to put in the effort. He thinks those songs suck as well. He just wants to keep Axl happy and be paid to fund his divorce.

• Thanks 1

Top 10 of all time:

Jimi Hendrix
Chuck Berry

Keith Richards

Jimmy Page

B.B. King

David Gilmour

Tony Iommi

Muddy Waters

Duane Allman
Eric Clapton

Slash is more a mid tier guitarist on the par of Mick Taylor, Joe Perry, those sorts. Not a bad tier, but not best of all time. Not the best guitarist of the 90s, but the best of this era solely because there isn't really anyone else. Like, there are some "once in a lifetime" talents; If Slash was 21 in 1970 he would've been an in-demand session guitarist, but there were plenty of guys with a similar sound and style to Slash around in the early mid 70s.

Edited by Fashionista
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

Top 10 of all time:

Jimi Hendrix
Chuck Berry

Keith Richards

Jimmy Page

B.B. King

David Gilmour

Tony Iommi

Muddy Waters

Duane Allman
Eric Clapton

Slash is more a mid tier guitarist on the par of Mick Taylor, Joe Perry, those sorts. Not a bad tier, but not best of all time. Not the best guitarist of the 90s, but the best of this era solely because there isn't really anyone else. Like, there are some "once in a lifetime" talents; If Slash was 21 in 1970 he would've been an in-demand session guitarist, but there were plenty of guys with a similar sound and style to Slash around in the early mid 70s.

I know it's subjective and shit, but a top ten with no SRV? Ludicrous!

• Like 3