"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

On 2/7/2023 at 9:39 PM, DoMw94 said:

Hasn't he practically finished recrding it?

yeah, you're right. He was halfway through recording it in December of last year and said he would probably complete it in January this year, so recording is probably done already.

55 minutes ago, mystery said:

Its almost 17 years and I still laugh about Axl calling the Eagles of Death Metal "the Pigeons of Shit Metal". The band must have found it funny too as they named one of their albums after it.

About Pigeons of Shit Metal: (19) 26. MAY-DECEMBER 2006 - TOURING; IZZY RETURNS AND AXL FIGHTS - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

• Like 1

Listening to Live Era and I'm surprised how good Axl's re-recorded vocals sound on it. There's a balance where its more listenable than a lot of the UYI tour the songs come from while still having good sounding rasp. It seems like he really had to redevelop his voice post-1993 as 1999-2002 is fairly distinct vocally.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was wondering when Axl started using the boatload of emojis in his typing style on social media, so i pressed spacebar on his twitter page for a few minutes to scroll down to the start.

It began with his taco bell tweet on January the 1st, 2016. And the emojis continued on from there. I'm surprised by how sudden the switch in emojiless to emojis-filled his tweets were. I thought maybe it'd go from no emoji, to maybe one emoji to every few tweets, then one emoji every tweet, then several emojis every tweet. but the moment he used emojis, he liked using them a lot. wonder what was in that taco bell!

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Probably PR consultants in re: to the reunion who advised him to start using emojis :D

probably the most legit guess coming from mygnrforum in a while. for real though, literally his next tweet after professing his love for taco bell:

WxjP6VW.png

i've also noticed that the most "negative" emojis he uses are the clown emoji 🤡 and the poop emoji 💩. he almost never uses any of the angry emojis or crying emojis (one crying emoji spotted in the "I miss singing ACDC!!😫😪😀" tweet, and a sick emoji " Wanna thank All the fans, the band n’ every1 4 their concern n’ well wishes!🙏🏼 In Johannesburg w/plenty of time 2 b ready 4 the show!👍🏼This flu or whatever is a wild ride! Comes in waves. Ur ok till ur not!🤢").

maybe that's how he expresses himself, or PR told him not to use negative emotions emojis.  ( 😡🤬😠😢😭😰😾😿👎 ). but he can use the clown and poop emoji to mock other people lol. i first thought that the idea of axl abiding by PR to not use negative-emotions emojis seems a bit absurd, maybe he just doesn't use the negative-emojis because they might make his message look silly or he doesn't want to conjure up the old reputation of "Oh look, Axl is angry and sad!". but also i figured possibly following PR-consultant advice on a twitter page isn't a big deal for him, it's not like they're cramping his style since most of his outlet for self-expression isn't via twitter.

Edited by BucketEgg
changes rules to advice

15 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

probably the most legit guess coming from mygnrforum in a while. for real though, literally his next tweet after professing his love for taco bell:

WxjP6VW.png

i've also noticed that the most "negative" emojis he uses are the clown emoji 🤡 and the poop emoji 💩. he almost never uses any of the angry emojis or crying emojis (one crying emoji spotted in the "I miss singing ACDC!!😫😪😀" tweet, and a sick emoji " Wanna thank All the fans, the band n’ every1 4 their concern n’ well wishes!🙏🏼 In Johannesburg w/plenty of time 2 b ready 4 the show!👍🏼This flu or whatever is a wild ride! Comes in waves. Ur ok till ur not!🤢").

maybe that's how he expresses himself, or PR told him not to use negative emotions emojis.  ( 😡🤬😠😢😭😰😾😿👎 ). but he can use the clown and poop emoji to mock other people lol. i first thought that the idea of axl abiding by PR to not use negative-emotions emojis seems a bit absurd, maybe he just doesn't use the negative-emojis because they might make his message look silly or he doesn't want to conjure up the old reputation of "Oh look, Axl is angry and sad!". but also i figured possibly following PR-consultant rules on a twitter page isn't a big deal for him, it's not like they're cramping his style since most of his outlet for self-expression isn't via twitter.

Okay Karice. 😂

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BucketEgg said:

I was wondering when Axl started using the boatload of emojis in his typing style on social media, so i pressed spacebar on his twitter page for a few minutes to scroll down to the start.

It began with his taco bell tweet on January the 1st, 2016. And the emojis continued on from there. I'm surprised by how sudden the switch in emojiless to emojis-filled his tweets were. I thought maybe it'd go from no emoji, to maybe one emoji to every few tweets, then one emoji every tweet, then several emojis every tweet. but the moment he used emojis, he liked using them a lot. wonder what was in that taco bell!

Based on this article (see also the article about emojis on wikipedia)

https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/a/2015/emoji-usage-in-tv-conversation

emojis on twitter weren't used broadly on twitter before mid-2014 - they were available on iPhone (which Axl uses) and Mac, but not displayable on Android and Windows. Only when Google incorporated them in late 2015 they became easily usable for everyone.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Based on this article (see also the article about emojis on wikipedia)

https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/a/2015/emoji-usage-in-tv-conversation

emojis on twitter weren't used broadly on twitter before mid-2014 - they were available on iPhone (which Axl uses) and Mac, but not displayable on Android and Windows. Only when Google incorporated them in late 2015 they became easily usable for everyone.

so based on that information, he began using emojis quickly after they became widely available to people. he's been using the internet for ages, i guess he keeps a close eye on technology and that sort of stuff.

he could have been spamming emoticons \( ̄︶ ̄*\))   b( ̄▽ ̄)d  beforehand if he had wanted to, but they're a lot more limited in the visuals they depict than emojis and there's more effort to type, so maybe that's why he's using emojis so much now.

Edited by BucketEgg
"on" to "eye"
  • Like 1

I was snooping around the copyright records, (nothing interesting found), but I noticed that Axl uses variations of his name.

I've found:
Axl Rose (pseud)
AXL ROSE
W. Axl Rose
William Rose
Billy Axl Rose

never knew he still wanted to use the William part after converting it to a W.

Spoiler

X3s4HDY.png

wALlkC3.png

spotted several Duff McKagen instead of McKagan

and an Isbel instead of Isbell

Spoiler

jaztvqe.png

XowhigE.png

On 3/22/2023 at 12:32 PM, BucketEgg said:

I was snooping around the copyright records, (nothing interesting found), but I noticed that Axl uses variations of his name.

I've found:
Axl Rose (pseud)
AXL ROSE
W. Axl Rose
William Rose
Billy Axl Rose

never knew he still wanted to use the William part after converting it to a W.

Reveal hidden contents

X3s4HDY.png

wALlkC3.png

spotted several Duff McKagen instead of McKagan

and an Isbel instead of Isbell

Reveal hidden contents

jaztvqe.png

XowhigE.png

Interesting how many variations of his name Axl uses. 🤔 You learn something new every day. 🤔

• 2 weeks later...

Gotta admit, I can’t really read the (isolated) word "camera" anywhere without my brain automatically fetching the rest. 

I.e.: "Camera... on this fucker."

Yes, the Argentina 92 incident. 

Cause damn it, I have been blessed/cursed with this so-called GNR fandomship thing. 

2nd thought: Omg, once again, maybe don’t drink and post? 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Gotta admit, I can’t really read the (isolated) word "camera" anywhere without my brain automatically fetching the rest. 

I.e.: "Camera... on this fucker."

Yes, the Argentina 92 incident. 

Cause damn it, I have been blessed/cursed with this so-called GNR fandomship thing. 

2nd thought: Omg, once again, maybe don’t drink and post? 

Absolutely feeling this post :lol:  Cosigned at the second thought haha  @jamillos

• Like 1

what was up with all the legal drama surrounding the release of the Rapidfire EP? There's nothing so horrendous on that EP that it needed to be hidden, yet apparently there was a lot of trouble in the lead-up to its release. was there some other thing surrounding Rapidfire that motivated all the drama?

1 hour ago, BucketEgg said:

what was up with all the legal drama surrounding the release of the Rapidfire EP? There's nothing so horrendous on that EP that it needed to be hidden, yet apparently there was a lot of trouble in the lead-up to its release. was there some other thing surrounding Rapidfire that motivated all the drama?

About Axl in 1983: 04. BEFORE GUNS N' ROSES (a-4-d.com)
The legal wrangling in 2004-2014: 25. AUGUST 2004-MAY 2006: FINALIZING CHINESE DEMOCRACY; LAWSUITS; RETURN TO NYC (a-4-d.com)

It is a really sad story, actually. It is hard to read Joshua's letters and then now be committed suicide, and knowing that Lawrence passed from illness a few years later.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
  • Wow 1

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

About Axl in 1983: 04. BEFORE GUNS N' ROSES (a-4-d.com)
The legal wrangling in 2004-2014: 25. AUGUST 2004-MAY 2006: FINALIZING CHINESE DEMOCRACY; LAWSUITS; RETURN TO NYC (a-4-d.com)

It is a really sad story, actually. It is hard to read Joshua's letters and then now be committed suicide, and knowing that Lawrence passed from illness a few years later.

that section  talking about dealing the lawyers being so suddenly nasty, and Axl possibly not even tuned in on what was going on with the Rapidfire situation closely, is nuts.

Especially by this quote which comes across as saying, that despite heavy involvement in the situation, even  Lawrence didn't know why the lawyers were being so heavy

Over the ensuing years, Kevin and I have spent countless hours pondering and discussing why Axl might be so adamantly against allowing the Recordings to see the light of day. I have also made a couple more fitful attempts to reach Axl through counsel, and sought advice from a few other sources. The consensus was to go ahead and release them, but the core issue remained — how to move ahead without running afoul of Axl.

And then on the finale, the tapes were released without any drama from Axl's lawyers.

Those lawyers kicked up such a massive fuss, cause so much stress to Lawrence and Joshua for years, but then when the tapes actually come out? Not a word from them?! I am so confused on why the lawyers put in so much effort in the first place, to achieve nothing good.

Only the GnR camp know this, but what was even going on with Axl and his lawyers, and the level of communication between them. Does Axl know that the people representing him legally are acting in that manner?

A very sad saga to find out in detail.

The part where Axl asked about the rapidfire tapes in the mid 90's, but never called back, was strange. i wonder if Axl forgot about it or moved location by the time Lawrence called.

Edited by BucketEgg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

They were bluffing. They hoped the threat of litigation would be sufficient to scare Lawrence from releasing the songs. And it almost worked. Only after his brother, Joshua, committed suicide, did Kevin release the music. Maybe he felt all the work Joshua put in shouldn't have been for nothing? Maybe Kevin knew he was terminally ill and had nothing to lose? Just speculations from my side.

Anyway, this is a really sad side story to the GN'R story. There are quite a few of these. And I find it a bit annoying that we tend to care about trivial, irrelevant stuff, like Axl's yellow raincoat, minor changes to setlists, and other such stuff, and not the side stories that actually matter to people, like Kevin's fight, or when they played for the disabled kids. Moments that matter. Things that change people's lives, for better or worse. 

As for Axl's role in the sordid Rapifire story, I don't know, but I doubt the lawyers operated completely autonomously, I would think Axl got regular updates from his legal counsel on this story.

I rememeber being a cunt to Kevin when he came in here cause I thought at the time that he should have just shared the Rapidfire material for free. I think he was offended and then when I've heard what happened... this whole thing was just awful. Felt like a cruel idiot, even if I had no idea he was ill.

my guess is Axl absolutely didn't want that stuff in the wild. Also, I think we don't really get to choose when it comes to the stuff that we care about as fans and maybe even as people or at least, it's not really as simple as making a choice to care. Sometimes life seems to shape it, at least a little bit and maybe it depends on what type of fan you are and to what you can relate to in Gn'R land. 

Edited by Rovim