"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

22 hours ago, Ratam said:

I remember years ago an video that Axl showed his guitars collection. Maybe someone recall it too.

I think this was a fraction of Axls collection. I read an interview with someone that was in the GNR camp in 90s/00s and he said Axl was playing a PRS and I have a vague memory of hearing that Axl had some hollowbody guitars? Someday if we're good and get back into TB's good books they might show us the full collection. Gibson do a series called the collection, maybe they could get Slash to put a word in😄

• Like 2

Was mentioning this in another thread but Axl from 2003-2005 is a bigger mystery than 1994-2000 which has been pretty well documented. I feel like a reason for this is most of the major recording for Chinese Democracy was done at that point.

He wasn't in the studio nearly as much with producers/band members and wasn't actively recruiting for a new band like the late 90's. Feels like a period where he really laid low outside lawsuits, band business, and recording parts for GTA: San Andreas.

Just now, mystery said:

Was mentioning this in another thread but Axl from 2003-2005 is a bigger mystery than 1994-2000 which has been pretty well documented. I feel like a reason for this is most of the major recording for Chinese Democracy was done at that point.

He wasn't in the studio nearly as much with producers/band members and wasn't actively recruiting for a new band like the late 90's. Feels like a period where he really laid low outside lawsuits, band business, and recording parts for GTA: San Andreas.

It seems like he was still recording and tweaking the songs in that time, just very inconsistently. Wasn't Soul Monster recorded christmas eve 2004? I thought the vocals for Better and Sorry were from those years, too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It seems like he was still recording and tweaking the songs in that time, just very inconsistently. Wasn't Soul Monster recorded christmas eve 2004? I thought the vocals for Better and Sorry were from those years, too.

At that point Chinese Democracy didn't seem to be a round the clock thing as much as something to tinker on with a few more songs added. Shackler's Revenge was probably the last song worked on in 2007.

20 minutes ago, BeingBoring said:

$50 for a bandana when you can get one for $1.25 at the dollar store. And you can make a tie-dye shirt for less than $35. 

i think its absolutely disgraceful. especially in combination with whoring out your kids for this shit. Team Brazil is just all about the money. I wonder if there are idiots out there who buy this useless crap?!

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution

3 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

i think its absolutely disgraceful. especially in combination with whoring out your kids for this shit. Team Brazil is just all about the money. I wonder if there are idiots out there who buy this useless crap?!

The only thing that is questionable is using your own kids in commercials. Whether it is "useless" is really not up to me or anyone else to decide. If people want the merch, then they should go for it and be happy about it.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

The only thing that is questionable is using your own kids in commercials. Whether it is "useless" is really not up to me or anyone else to decide. If people want the merch, then they should go for it and be happy about it.

I think everyone can decide whether this shit is useless or not (for them). But this stuff is just pointless. There's no reason to support this, especially since those people are covered in money anyway.

5 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I think everyone can decide whether this shit is useless or not (for them). But this stuff is just pointless. There's no reason to support this, especially since those people are covered in money anyway.

No reason? Are you the arbiter of whether other people have reasons for doing something? What if they collect merch? What if it gives them joy? Who are you to shit on people for what they choose to do with their money?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No reason? Are you the arbiter of whether other people have reasons for doing something? What if they collect merch? What if it gives them joy? Who are you to shit on people for what they choose to do with their money?

People can do what they want. But i think it's pathetic to buy that kind of merch from these people and support this. 

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution

35 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Gatekeeping criticism of a crappy capitalistic enterprise is one of the weirder things I've read on this forum already. I don't get the emotional fragility and butthurt over opinions that don't affect you, but okay. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Imagine using you kids to sell useless merch

https://www.youngroadie.com

Ever heard of the family farm?  And a thousand other family run businesses.  Many useless, imo, heirs out there who never lifted a finger to earn that family money.  Comes down to the values you want to teach your kids.

21 minutes ago, BeingBoring said:

Gatekeeping criticism of a crappy capitalistic enterprise is one of the weirder things I've read on this forum already. I don't get the emotional fragility and butthurt over opinions that don't affect you, but okay. 

It is not criticism of the merch that I reacted to, but criticism of those whom for whatever reasons buy said merch. 

I saw Alter Bridge on Wednesday night in Montclair, NJ. I've seen Myles perform 4 times now. I think he's good with Slash, but better with Alter Bridge.  I also Wolfgang Van Halen as an opening act on Wednesday. Frank Sidoris is part of Wolfgang's band. In my opinion, I  think that the end is near for SMKC. Wolfgang is the future of hard rock so I can see Frank being a part of that band for a long time to come. GNR isn't getting any younger. Slash built his legacy in GNR and I'm sure that he'll want to end it the right way with at least one more album. I think Slash will focus much more on GNR as the years go by. I think the other band members of SMKC will focus on their other music endeavors as well.   

7 hours ago, Draguns said:

I saw Alter Bridge on Wednesday night in Montclair, NJ. I've seen Myles perform 4 times now. I think he's good with Slash, but better with Alter Bridge.  I also Wolfgang Van Halen as an opening act on Wednesday. Frank Sidoris is part of Wolfgang's band. In my opinion, I  think that the end is near for SMKC. Wolfgang is the future of hard rock so I can see Frank being a part of that band for a long time to come. GNR isn't getting any younger. Slash built his legacy in GNR and I'm sure that he'll want to end it the right way with at least one more album. I think Slash will focus much more on GNR as the years go by. I think the other band members of SMKC will focus on their other music endeavors as well.   

I strongly disagree. Strongly. SMKC is Slash's baby. I think he loves being in that band with no bullshit and total artistic control. He seems to hate taking breaks from touring in most cases so this is like a perfect solution for him.

I like Sidoris. The guy is a good guitar player and pretty fun on stage as well. I wish him the best, no matter what he chooses to do next with the shit he had to deal with recently,, but having said all that, Slash doesn't need him to keep The Conspirators going imo.

I really like Wolfie too, even though I didn't really care for his debut album. I think the next one is probably going to be better and I like some tracks, but he is not the future of rock imho. 

Slash can't do everything he wants to do in Gn'R, Axl moves too slowly and has the final say. Slash can end it the right way while still keeping The Conspirators going for at least 50 more years.

also, Conspirators band members seem to really like being in the band and why wouldn't they? they get to make music and tour with Slash with no ego bullshit and they seem tight as a group which must be very cool for them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

I strongly disagree. Strongly. SMKC is Slash's baby. I think he loves being in that band with no bullshit and total artistic control. He seems to hate taking breaks from touring in most cases so this is like a perfect solution for him.

I like Sidoris. The guy is a good guitar player and pretty fun on stage as well. I wish him the best, no matter what he chooses to do next with the shit he had to deal with recently,, but having said all that, Slash doesn't need him to keep The Conspirators going imo.

I really like Wolfie too, even though I didn't really care for his debut album. I think the next one is probably going to be better and I like some tracks, but he is not the future of rock imho. 

Slash can't do everything he wants to do in Gn'R, Axl moves too slowly and has the final say. Slash can end it the right way while still keeping The Conspirators going for at least 50 more years.

also, Conspirators band members seem to really like being in the band and why wouldn't they? they get to make music and tour with Slash with no ego bullshit and they seem tight as a group which must be very cool for them.

I understand that this is Slash's baby, but  so is GNR. Honestly, I think Myles has more chemistry  with band members from Alter Bridge than with SMKC even though he does enjoy playing with Slash and those guys. There is a difference from what I saw. Maybe it's due to Alter Bridge being around longer. Don't forget SMKC wasn't supposed to last this long. So who knows.

I disagree with you on Wolfgang. I think he is part of the future of hard rock. He's really good live.  With that being said, I do think he now needs to stop touring and write a second album. 

1 minute ago, Draguns said:

I understand that this is Slash's baby, but  so is GNR. Honestly, I think Myles has more chemistry  with band members from Alter Bridge than with SMKC even though he does enjoy playing with Slash and those guys. There is a difference from what I saw. Maybe it's due to Alter Bridge being around longer. Don't forget SMKC wasn't supposed to last this long. So who knows.

I disagree with you on Wolfgang. I think he is part of the future of hard rock. He's really good live.  With that being said, I do think he now needs to stop touring and write a second album. 

writing of Wolfie's second album is pretty far along as I unserstand it, which is pretty cool. I think he is going to finish some material from what he had from the time he worked on his debut album, so I don't think it's going to take him very long to finish it plus he's very talented and works quickly he seems. The future of rock thing is a long debate, maybe doesn't belong in this thread, but why would I shit on it if that's what you feel? let's just say I'm happy Wolfgang is finding success and acceptance. That's great.

I 100% agree that Myles has better chemistry with Tremonti and Alter Bridge, that seems to be his home. With Slash it just seems effortless when it comes to their personalities and Myles seem to really love and admire Slash and you get the feeling he doesn't want to let the Slash down. They do share a chemistry I think, but it's just not like what Myles and Tremonti have. Like Axl and Slash in a way.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 10:04 PM, Draguns said:

.In my opinion, I  think that the end is near for SMKC.

Slash has already said more is coming from The Conspirators.

Also, Frank doesn't contribute to Mammoth WVH, Wolfgang plays everything in the studio. Frank has played on the last two SMKC records

On 2/4/2023 at 3:07 PM, Rovim said:

writing of Wolfie's second album is pretty far along as I understand it

Hasn't he practically finished recrding it?

Edited by DoMw94