"General Musings" " Thread for all of "Thoughts On" all GnR things in the universe.

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Don't want to post this in the actual thread because it's clearly not a popular opinion, but I feel pretty underwhelmed by those live recordings from the Illusions rerelease. Feel like it's ok, but I don't want to come back and listen (and watch) it again.

Me either.

Not a fan of older shows anymore.

• Like 3

Yeah I’m happy for the people who got this shows but I don’t really feel that excited personally. This band has released one new album in 30+ years, and nostalgia toured their old albums as a semi reunited lineup for close to 7 years now? Real shame if this was what delayed the new songs.

• Like 2

Rest Of Our Lifetimes Tour :P

I've seen a few musicians express dislike towards touring, because it's just a an exhausting thing to do e.g. Michael Jackson.

I can't link the video here, but I'll write what he said in a video:

MJ: The record company, they're usually like, for you to support your album, and go on tour. And uh... I don't like to. I do like relating to the fans, giving the fans a chance to see you face to face, as you go from Hong Kong to Africa, China, to Brazil, to you know, Singapore, Switzerland, London, Paris, Russia, and the stadiums are just jammed, and the energy is great. It's fantastic. And we have uh, I don't know how they enjoy the show, because it's festival seating. They don't want chairs. Even if there were chairs, they would stand on them and just... so we have a tent on the side, [unknown word] like 5000 things every night, and we have all these doctors, and paramedics, but it's a difficult thing to tour. You go from one continent to another. You're sleepy. The time zones are different. You can't sleep after the show. The adrenaline is up here.

Offcam-man : Can we just do it again without just the negative saying that you don't like to tour -

MJ: I don't like it though.

Offcam-man: I know but it's...

MJ: I go through hell-

Offcam-man: We're just setting up though-

MJ: I go through hell touring.

[background chatter]

MJ: Ok, I'll make it positive then, for you know the truth.

Offcam-man: Ok, and rolling action Michael.

MJ: I love to tour.

[Everybody else laughs.]

For GnR to be touring a lot, they either find somehow find touring somewhat easier, or they're exceptions and actually like touring. :O

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

Rest Of Our Lifetimes Tour :P

I've seen a few musicians express dislike towards touring, because it's just a an exhausting thing to do e.g. Michael Jackson.

I can't link the video here, but I'll write what he said in a video:

For GnR to be touring a lot, they either find somehow find touring somewhat easier, or they're exceptions and actually like touring. :O

i liked that mj anecdote :)

Edited by Ant000

Anyone else's excitement for the band at an all time low? It was nice they released a UYI boxset, but there doesn't feel like there's much hope for the future. The setlist is at an all time low recently in terms of changes and variations, no one really seems excited for the concerts anymore, nothing cool on the alt list. Only thing that kinda is exciting is Slash saying new singles might release again but you never know if that's a guarentee with GNR. This band has been boring for 10+ years but it feels like it's at it's worst recently.

• Like 2

I apologize for my recent huge influx of new GNR Threads. I was fighting a  cold when I made the bulk of the recent new GNR Threads. When I am fighting a cold, I tend to post with clouded judgement(I remember on another Website, I posted questionable things when I was feeling kind of sick and after I felt better, I was like,"WTF? Unfortunately, that Website does not have a delete button).  I feel a lot better and so those huge influx of new GNR Threads is over. My latest GNR thread was written during Insomnia and when I woke up, I had forgotten I had written it and thank God it's been locked. It is an  embarrassing thread. 

• Like 2

Recently came across the partial IEM from Milan that leaked. I found it to be a fascinating insight into what's actually going on on stage – Axl's communication with crew and the rest of the band, the technical issues, sounds like they're using a click too.

Speaking of IEMs, did any from the recent Japan shows make it out there yet?

Edited by DoMw94
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Recently came across the partial IEM from Milan that leaked. I found it to be a fascinating insight into what's actually going on on stage – Axl's communication with crew and the rest of the band, the technical issues, sounds like Frank's using a click too.

Speaking of IEMs, did any from the recent Japan shows make it out there yet?

what's interesting is that despite having a stable setlist, axl still announces every song they're gonna do next through the speakers.

19 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

what's interesting is that despite having a stable setlist, axl still announces every song they're gonna do next through the speakers.

I don't think that's uncommon. It's being professional and trying to make as little mistakes as possible. The same reason a band still tapes a setlist to the floor even if they are doing the same exact set the whole tour.  People zone out and make mistakes all the time. You gotta do everything to limit the mistakes when in a professional setting 

I stumbled upon a thread from a while ago about a picture book and the reactions are pure (and sad) comedy

I loved the one written by King_Johnny looking that the thread from his mobile phone.

total pipe dream, but if GnR does weird side project merch like that, and I read somewhere that apparently Axl likes watching movies, how cool would it be if GnR were secretly somehow in the process of making their own movie, and possibly scoring it too. (it definitely has -1000% possibility of actually existing because otherwise we'd have heard about stuff like casting people and hiring movie crew people) 

Not sure what sort of story the GnR band members would write. Slash said he likes horror stuff, so maybe he would add some of those elements in it. Maybe Axl might put a mix of hilarious stuff, and depressing stuff. I should read Duff's column one day, to get a sense of what kind of stuff he likes. The other members, I'm not too sure on what they'd put in a movie either. Maybe they can be the actors XD

On 11/23/2022 at 4:55 AM, eggers said:

I’m sure it’s been discussed but I’ve noticed things don’t seem to get pulled off YouTube anymore? Is there any info as to what’s happened?

They should just let it be. Their policy seemed antagonistic towards fans and kind of limited exposure to them especially live. Reminds me of Prince who had a company take all of his stuff down which changed when he died.

5 minutes ago, mystery said:

They should just let it be. Their policy seemed antagonistic towards fans and kind of limited exposure to them especially live. Reminds me of Prince who had a company take all of his stuff down which changed when he died.

i hope the letting videos stay continues. it's such an annoyance to look at old discussions, and then there's just a whole bunch of

Vzb1ZDW.png

ruining it all

• Like 1

5 years ago today, GN'R held their longest show at The Forum, Inglewood.

Setlist: It’s So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Chinese Democracy, Welcome To The Jungle, Double Talkin’ Jive, Better, Estranged, Live And Let Die, Catcher In The Rye, Rocket Queen, Sorry, You Could Be Mine, You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory/Attitude, This I Love, Prostitute, Civil War, Yesterdays, Coma, Band Intros, Slash Solo (Godfather)/Sweet Child O' Mine, Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover), Used To Love Her, My Michelle, Out Ta Get Me, Wish You Were Here/Layla/November Rain, Black Hole Sun, Only Women Bleed (instrumental)/Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Nightrain

Encore: Jam (Melissa)/Patience, Whole Lotta Rosie, There Was A Time, Don’t Cry, Madagascar, The Seeker, Paradise City

Edited by We love Axl Rose
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

5 years ago today, GN'R held their longest show at The Forum, Inglewood.

Setlist: It’s So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Chinese Democracy, Welcome To The Jungle, Double Talkin’ Jive, Better, Estranged, Live And Let Die, Catcher In The Rye, Rocket Queen, Sorry, You Could Be Mine, You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory/Attitude, This I Love, Prostitute, Civil War, Yesterdays, Coma, Band Intros, Slash Solo (Godfather)/Sweet Child O' Mine, Wichita Lineman (Glen Campbell cover), Used To Love Her, My Michelle, Out Ta Get Me, Wish You Were Here/Layla/November Rain, Black Hole Sun, Only Women Bleed (instrumental)/Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Nightrain

Encore: Jam (Melissa)/Patience, Whole Lotta Rosie, There Was A Time, Don’t Cry, Madagascar, The Seeker, Paradise City

Wasn't their previous longest show at the same venue?