When Are Guns Going To 'Bury' Appetite?

37 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

They already have for me since I liked Chinese Democracy more than AFD :)

Musically AFD still kicks ass, but the lyrics are losing their appeal the older I get. Sure, they are good and the melodies are great, but I just can't identify with them anymore like used to when I was younger. Lyrics on Chinese Democracy, on the other hand, keep getting more interesting as time goes by. They aren't about sex and partying and living on the streets, they are more timeless. Sure, there's some crap on CD too, but for the most part, in my opinion, these days CD has more interesting lyrics than AFD. Musically neither record dissappoints me, though. Feels like there's always something new to hear when listening to them.

So, I can see how one can think they have buried Appetite. For me, like I said, they are on par. But for most people, I think AFD will always be THE Guns N' Roses album. 

I would love to hear a new record that is a kind of mixture between AFD and CD.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

No, they've aged into philosophical quandry about being a wealthy isolated neurotic 40 something with a laundry list of grudges against the people in your life, how the hell is that more relatable? :lol:

Lyrics on CD are generally more open to interpretation than the lyrics on AFD. I don't know Axl's every thought behind every lyric on CD, so I interpret them based on what I have experienced, which leads to better relatability. The lyrics on AFD are pretty straight forward and my life don't revolve around those subjects so I relate to them less.

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 3

I think the balance of songs from AFD, UYIs, LIES and CD in live shows is pretty much what you can expect when considering the songs popularity. Or, they actually focus less on AFD than what they could have gotten away with, instead adding deeper cuts, songs off CD and lots of covers. Thinking that the band will either stop playing the songs most people come to hear, or be able to release new music that will surpass AFD in popularity, is somewhat delusional. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Edward Nigma said:

I love the album. I just feel its still dominating Guns N' Roses, its got a high percentage of all songs being performed live at every gig, the latest release by the band is centered around it.

They really don't have much to pick from when doing close to 3 hour shows. Its their defining album. It made them. All the legit members were involved in it. Its most people's favorite. I can understand if you're tired of it though.

There's a REASON why Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Matt, and Dizzy were put into the Hall of Fame, and not any of those other stiffs.  Nobody would put a chinese song over an Appetite (or Lies or Illusions) song.  That's heresy, lol!  

Edited by BadApples87

What they (Axl) didn't realize at the time he made that statement was that that was GN'R most culturally significant moment. They were right there in the zeitgeist, they were the cutting edge and that moment was only going to be a moment.

AFD was an atomic bomb that exploded on America and it was exactly the right time for it to go off. You can have the greatest album ever but if the time isn't right for it to be received, it will never reach that level of adoration. 

Axl thought that moment was going to be perpetual for Guns, that they could just keep going with the same momentum, but you can't control time and time wore the band out.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

What they (Axl) didn't realize at the time he made that statement was that that was GN'R most culturally significant moment. They were right there in the zeitgeist, they were the cutting edge and that moment was only going to be a moment.

AFD was an atomic bomb that exploded on America and it was exactly the right time for it to go off. You can have the greatest album ever but if the time isn't right for it to be received, it will never reach that level of adoration. 

Axl thought that moment was going to be perpetual for Guns, that they could just keep going with the same momentum, but you can't control time and time wore the band out.

I dont think time wore the band out. One gigantic jackass wore it out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I heat ya. You're Crazy, Think About You and Anything Goes should all be busted out once in awhile.. Out Ta Get Me deserves more love too.. That is one song that this lineup consistently pulled off and pulled off well every night.  Such a bad ass song.

They should play Out Ta Get Me.  I also like the Lies version of You're Crazy.  An acoustic set would be cool.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

This. 

You need the right people in the right place at the right time with the right message that people want to hear. 

I’ve enjoyed all of Guns’ releases following Appetite. I don’t know what Axl truly meant when he said that, but creatively, at the time, the Illusion records must have brought him a great deal of satisfaction with the amount of content they put out there. Obviously since we’ve heard of their arguments during the recording process etc but I’d imagine there may be some exaggerations somewhere. 

• Like 1

GnR will never be able to move past AFD. I think they realize this if they want to sell out stadiums. Right or wrong, it's what defines the band. Surprisingly to me, NITLT includes more than AFD, Patience, November Rain and Civil War. But these songs are what the masses want to hear.  I love the deeper cuts and CD. But I think many of us if not the majority on the forum are the exception in wanting to hear new music. Maybe the question is not whether GnR will move past AFD but whether the fans will. Will there ever be a time when fans don't care about hearing Welcome to the Jungle, SCOM and Patience? 

• Like 3

I think that's a brilliant point, @Kwick1. I don't think the band enjoys playing Mr. Brownstone that much any more. They are probably fed up with playing the same songs for the 1000th time. But they have to. The fans won't let them get away with not playing the Oldies Goldies.  And that might be why they add so many other songs to the setlists, covers and deep cuts, simply to play something else and something more novel to make the shows more fun for them.

• Like 3

Whenever I think of that interview I feel really sorry for Axl because he really meant it and it was his goal. At this point I don’t think they ever will. And they don’t have to bury that fantastic record. Not at all. Saying that, what they still can do is becoming a living and breathing band and do some new music together.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

No, they've aged into philosophical quandry about being a wealthy isolated neurotic 40 something with a laundry list of grudges against the people in your life, how the hell is that more relatable? :lol:

The pathetic lament "This I Love" is makes me cringe and roll my eyes everytime. Also TWAT is a vomit, lyrics wise.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

As far as lyrics go, CD is not bad. It is naturally much more mature than AFD. For good and worse. I mean, AFD is a time capsule back to the 80s and back to my childhood. It works. And CD touches on some heavy, nice themes. It is not all good, of course, at times cringy and self-indulgent and whining, but there are some really nice things there too. Not always particular sentences, but more the overall sentiments expressed in the songs. You kind of are left with certain emotions that are way deeper than the rawk of AFD and abrasiveness of UYIs. And it is not always easily accessible, but hidden in axspeak and lyrics that twist and turn. I don't think it is any worse than most records these days. In fact, compared to a lot of popular music it is a lot more weightier, profound and deep. At times it is a bit too retrospective and focused on whatever trials that faced Axl back in the late 90s, but there is also some positive and uplifting parts, and songs that aren't so self-obsessed. I would love to hear more of his lyrics from that period.

One of my favorite lyrics on CD is in Street of Dreams. Everywhere I go I see you. If anyone ever has had a lost love everywhere you go there seems to be something that reminds you of them. Deep lyrics for old people or young ones.

• Like 1