The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

17 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

It boggles my mind that even casuals overlook the UYI albums - their release was probably one of THE biggest events in regards to promotion and anticipation. Plus they sold ridiculous amounts too. So it always get me that folk go to the gigs and barely recognise the stuff.

I’m not sure how much I agree with this. November Rain has more views on YouTube than Sweet Child; recent popular internet polls listed Estranged as their best song.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ferma said:

I’m not sure how much I agree with this. November Rain has more views on YouTube than Sweet Child; recent popular internet polls listed Estranged as their best song.

It more from the point of view where folk on here (in particular) hear people at gigs actually questioning UYI songs - I’d agree the big hits are universally well known by almost everyone though. November Rain in particular probably transcends UYI as being a massive hit song on its own.

For a band with a small catalog - it just puzzles me how folk can’t recognise tunes from UYI - Locomotive etc.

2 hours ago, ferma said:

Maybe they were referring to the filler songs between those two albums, and not the hits like NR.

On 6/8/2021 at 1:56 PM, 19AT5 said:

Oh aye, band lineups do change and sometimes those changes are better! I'm a huge fan of Sabbath and Purple fan, and both bands have had multiple lineup changes over the years (big fan of the Gillan and Coverdale-eras as well as Ozzy and Dio-eras). But rarely do bands have 2 such iconic figures in the same vein as Axl and Slash (and to lesser degree Duff) which really come to define the band's public persona. Axl's public credibility was low after the early 90s diva years and he made a big statement basically firing everybody and starting afresh. Or attempting to. For all the hurrah over the 2002 lineup, they basically played the entire AFD album, a few tracks off the rest, along with 4 or 5 new tracks. If he wanted to do a Fleetwood Mac and completely reinvent the band, he didn't exactly embrace it by playing all the old material. But why did he do that? Because that's what the broader fanbase wanted. Bar a few people on GNR forums, most people didn't know who was in the band. I'm not sure how much worse the CD-era could have gotten, because there were points which were eye wateringly cringey (e.g. Leeds 2010, Bridge School, Rock in Rio/yellow rain coat, Dublin walk off, multiple cancelled tours, 2002 MTV VMAs, the list goes on). Had the CD-era been more cohesive, more people would take it seriously as a genuine follow on from the original-era. 

What was Leeds 2010?

Huge Purple and Sabbath fan as well. I'd sort of argue both those bands also had two big hitters at least initially (Gillan and Blackmore, Ozzy and Iommi) but the key difference was when those bands continued they continued to release a lot of music. I'm a massive Morse-era Purple fan for example, and love Cross Purposes, Headless Cross and Tyr. Your last sentence is the reality - they should have been more cohesive but when Robin and Bucket started dropping away due to inactivity that opportunity was gone. They were the main "artists", with hindsight it was a lost cause then onwards.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

What was Leeds 2010?

Huge Purple and Sabbath fan as well. I'd sort of argue both those bands also had two big hitters at least initially (Gillan and Blackmore, Ozzy and Iommi) but the key difference was when those bands continued they continued to release a lot of music. I'm a massive Morse-era Purple fan for example, and love Cross Purposes, Headless Cross and Tyr. Your last sentence is the reality - they should have been more cohesive but when Robin and Bucket started dropping away due to inactivity that opportunity was gone. They were the main "artists", with hindsight it was a lost cause then onwards.

When they played Reading the weekend prior, Axl showed up late, and then the festival organizers shut the sound system down halfway through the setlist. So then Axl grabbed a megaphone and told the crowd “we will not be playing Leeds next weekend.” But then I guess the promoters must’ve threatened to sue him or something cause he still showed up to Leeds, but was once again late and totally phoning it in and, once again, the organizers cut the sound system off about halfway through the set. NuGnR became an even bigger joke than they already were after that.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Wow 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Has anyone listened to Duff's and Susan's show on Sirius to verify this?

Quotes like this are giving hope everytime until the reality strikes back and we realize there just isn't a new record coming. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Has anyone listened to Duff's and Susan's show on Sirius to verify this?

New album is coming / lots of material. It's the same info. I'd like for him to say "we were in the studio tracking in May, there's work going on on and off" this "there's lots of material written" thing holds no water with me, is it recorded past your garage band demo? They'll never answer this directly though. Mystique! Maaaan!

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

Quotes like this are giving hope everytime until the reality strikes back and we realize there just isn't a new record coming. 

I think there is an intention, it's just the follow through vs the touring prospect. I guess they can't tease this album forever, but they will try!

3 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

New album is coming / lots of material. It's the same info. I'd like for him to say "we were in the studio tracking in May, there's work going on on and off" this "there's lots of material written" thing holds no water with me, is it recorded past your garage band demo? They'll never answer this directly though. Mystique! Maaaan!

Yeah, I know, but even that is better than no updates at all.

I was just wondering if anyone listened to it and could verify that Duff even said that or what what he said exactly.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I was just wondering if anyone listened to it and could verify that Duff even said that or what what he said exactly.

I agree. I couldn't listen to that many Duff jokes, it wouldn't be conducive to good health😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, rocknroll41 said:

When they played Reading the weekend prior, Axl showed up late, and then the festival organizers shut the sound system down halfway through the setlist. So then Axl grabbed a megaphone and told the crowd “we will not be playing Leeds next weekend.” But then I guess the promoters must’ve threatened to sue him or something cause he still showed up to Leeds, but was once again late and totally phoning it in and, once again, the organizers cut the sound system off about halfway through the set. NuGnR became an even bigger joke than they already were after that.

Yep, I was there for that particular treat! It was the same weekend though - reading was friday, leeds sunday (if memory serves!) 

Just now, Tom2112 said:

I think there is an intention, it's just the follow through vs the touring prospect. I guess they can't tease this album forever, but they will try!

I'd probably take "to be honest, we've barely even thought about it, so it's unlikely to happen anytime soon" now, if that's the truth. Which I feel it probably is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

If he has said it exactly that way, then it's a statement. No "I guess", "I hope", "I think"... then again, we're talking about GNR here. Experience told us not to be optimistic.

But I would be lying if I would say that I don’t care for this informations. Everytime I visit this forum I hope to read something like that. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

If he has said it exactly that way, then it's a statement. No "I guess", "I hope", "I think"... then again, we're talking about GNR here. Experience told us not to be optimistic.

But I would be lying if I would say that I don’t care for this informations. Everytime I visit this forum I hope to read something like that. 

Yeah, that's mostly why I brought it up - and also because he wasn't answering a question (since it's a show he and Susan host, where he puts music and they talk a bit in between). Otherwise I wouldn't have taken notice.

3 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Surely some bloke called Ryan tweeting second hand information he heard from a Sirius show is not how the album updates will get announced?!

Yes, this is why I asked if someone else has heard Duff saying it.

4 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Surely some bloke called Ryan tweeting second hand information he heard from a Sirius show is not how the album updates will get announced?!

Nobody's saying that, but it would surely be nice to know that exact Duff's wording. It's not like the guys talk about this kind of stuff on a daily basis anyway, is it...

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Just for the sake of argument, Even if Duff used those words and someone could verify, so what? He doesn't have the last word. Maybe not even Axl has the last word. There is the record company, publishing rights and things like that. And the band has to deal with those issues. Who called the shots when the AFD box set came up? How we got the official news about it?