The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

This tour has no point. Someone in another thread referred to what's happening right now with GNR and the fans as a classic "bait and switch", and I think that's one hundred percent spot on. 

In other words, we were sold this premise that in 2020 they'd be touring to promote a new album, and they kept the promotion "The Next Chapter!" just vague and coy enough to get some poor souls to pay the ridiculous price of tickets based on the possibility that maybe...just maybe...this tour would be something different/special.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

This tour has no point. Someone in another thread referred to what's happening right now with GNR and the fans as a classic "bait and switch", and I think that's one hundred percent spot on. 

In other words, we were sold this premise that in 2020 they'd be touring to promote a new album, and they kept the promotion "The Next Chapter!" just vague and coy enough to get some poor souls to pay the ridiculous price of tickets based on the possibility that maybe...just maybe...this tour would be something different/special.

Ya know.......if this was even one month ago, I probably would have said "Wait a minute, 'bait & switch' is a strong / inaccurate term". 

Thinking about it now though, that's exactly what it is. 

• Like 1

just vague and coy enough to get some poor souls to pay the ridiculous price of tickets based on the possibility that maybe...just maybe...this tour would be something different/special.

Thanks for your concern. I am gonna go to the show have the time of my life seeing my favorite band.

Also there are no dates in April so we can see something then or at the end of the month.s

14 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Ya know.......if this was even one month ago, I probably would have said "Wait a minute, 'bait & switch' is a strong / inaccurate term". 

Thinking about it now though, that's exactly what it is. 

I've been such a cheerleader for this band for such a long time, really up until this year.  Hell, I even quit my moderator position at GNFNR years back because they were too "negative".  Boy have I fallen...

5 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

I've been such a cheerleader for this band for such a long time, really up until this year.  Hell, I even quit my moderator position at GNFNR years back because they were too "negative".  Boy have I fallen...

I'm exactly the same way. This is going to sound like an excuse, but I really don't think of myself as negative. I think really think of myself as having reached the breaking point to where now I'm just able to call a spade a spade. I no longer allow the band to piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I'm exactly the same way. This is going to sound like an excuse, but I really don't think of myself as negative. I think really think of myself as having reached the breaking point to where now I'm just able to call a spade a spade. I no longer allow the band to piss on my leg and tell me it's raining. 

Exactly! You mentioned the other day that you come here for the community and just to shoot the shit now with other fans, and that's exactly where I'm at.  I basically see the 2016 tour as victory lap for all of us, or the "grand finale" of my GNR fandom.  Everything since has just been rinse and repeat, and slowly watching them sink into the same pitfalls that plagued them during the Chinese Democracy era. It hasn't been pretty, and the lack of movement on the new music front has been rough, given all the potential there. I'll always love their music, but I just can't ignore how seriously awful they are in terms of PR and fan relations. They're seriously just the worst.

Edited by sofine11
  • GNFNR 2

3 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Exactly! You mentioned the other day that you come here for the community and just to shoot the shit now with other fans, and that's exactly where I'm at.  I basically see the 2016 tour as victory lap for all of us, or the "grand finale" of my GNR fandom.  Everything since has just been rinse and repeat, and slowly watching them sink into the same pitfalls that plagued them during the Chinese Democracy era. It hasn't been pretty, and the lack of movement on the new music front has been rough, given all the potential there. I'll always love their music, but I just can't ignore how seriously awful they are in terms of PR and fan relations. They're seriously just the worst.

Agree with all of that and here's the thing.....the thing most people don't understand: I'm NOT happy about that. This isn't what I would wish for GNR. This isn't what I want people to think of them. 

However, their current situation is completely on them, not me. And yeah, I'm 100% only involved with this forum for the community. The staff and many of the users here are people I consider real life friends. If it weren't for that aspect, I would've bounced from the forums well before 2016 probably, if not then, I would definitely have left over the past year. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sofine11 said:

My tickets for the Fenway Park show arrived in the mail today. I'm excited primarily because my two older sons are joining me for this show; in 2016, it was my youngest son.

I'd obviously love for them to have new music by July; I'd be blown away if they did a Prince-type thing and included a hard copy of a new album as part of the show's ticket price. However, this is Guns N' Roses, and not only do you get nothing for free from them, generally you overpay for what they have to offer.

4 hours ago, ThePreacher said:

What do you think? If the tour gets postponed a bit, do you think that new music will be postponed also IF it's even a fact, that there is something coming?

If there really is new music coming, the logical thing to do would be to release it on schedule, regardless of whether or not the tour gets postponed... But, like I always say, this is GnR, so logic is out the window...

14 hours ago, sofine11 said:

For a good while, the idea of a new GNR album with many of the Chi Dem era tracks we've been drooling for over the past 12 years post CD with SLASH back on guitar was just too good of a carrot for me to resist and kept me around after 2016. Everything Slash said last year about finishing that up after the fall tour, and certainly Fernando's "within the next 6 months" comment hooked me.

Despite being a member of this forum since 2004, and everything I've seen come and go since, I bit.  Shame on me I guess.  This forum, luckily, is filled with similar fans.  Not to sound overly dramatic, but it's cool to bond with folks who share that disappointment. And if by some miracle they get their shit together and figure out how to release a record, we'll all celebrate together and happily say, "I guess I was wrong". 

It makes me sad. I like coming here, chatting to other fans, etc, but my over-riding feeling now is sad about the way it seems to be playing out.

I don't want nostalgia- there's too much in the present and future in terms of culture to take in and enjoy to bother with that. I always admired GNR for not really catering to that all-consuming need for the past people seem to have. I can't help but feel sad that they seem to want to play it entirely for nostalgia....when there is no need at all to do that, and they're better than that. 

I constantly hope for change though. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

It makes me sad. I like coming here, chatting to other fans, etc, but my over-riding feeling now is sad about the way it seems to be playing out.

I don't want nostalgia- there's too much in the present and future in terms of culture to take in and enjoy to bother with that. I always admired GNR for not really catering to that all-consuming need for the past people seem to have. I can't help but feel sad that they seem to want to play it entirely for nostalgia....when there is no need at all to do that, and they're better than that. 

I constantly hope for change though. 

Same here.  And I don't think it's particularly super natural.  Axl's 58 now.  He's not in his early 40s trying to figure out how to release a finished Chinese Democracy anymore.  I think in a way, we all see the collective clock running out in terms of GNR doing something, anything, special again post the reunion.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sofine11 said:

Same here.  And I don't think it's particularly super natural.  Axl's 58 now.  He's not in his early 40s trying to figure out how to release a finished Chinese Democracy anymore.  I think in a way, we all see the collective clock running out in terms of GNR doing something, anything, special again post the reunion.  

Would it be possible that Axl is prolonging the release of a new album (“ChiDem 2,” for lack of a better term) because he knows that his creative juices will be run dry after that? And that it’s the last big creative thing he’d ever be able to do (naturally, at least)?

2 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Would it be possible that Axl is prolonging the release of a new album (“ChiDem 2,” for lack of a better term) because he knows that his creative juices will be run dry after that? And that it’s the last big creative thing he’d ever be able to do (naturally, at least)?

I've considered that he may very well consider whatever the next GNR album may be as his "swan song".  The emotional tie he has to that fact could very well be the reason it's release continues to be prolonged...and prolonged...and prolonged.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 2

I've considered that he may very well consider whatever the next GNR album may be as his "swan song".  The emotional tie he has to that fact could very well be the reason it's release continues to be prolonged...and prolonged...and prolonged.

Yeah this thought has crossed my mind many times as well. One way or another, to Axl, the next album will still feel like “ChiDem 2” even if it just has one song from those sessions. He’s been saying since 1999 that he envisions ChiDem as “a double album,” and even still referred to all of the unreleased songs as “the second half of Chinese” as recently as 2014. Chances are, in his mind, the Chinese Democracy era isn’t really over yet, even tho they started recording that stuff nearly 25 years ago! So yeah, I can see a possibility where Axl doesn’t really want the making of “the second half of Chinese” to end because he’s been in “ChiDem limbo” for so long that he must’ve gotten so used to it and probably can’t even envision anything else, at this point.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

My guess is that with all of Axls lawyers, hangers on who are on payroll (del, new gnr) an entire Brazilian family taking advantage and just wasting money in general that he was probably nearly broke by 2016 and forced into the reunion, slash wasn’t doing much better with the perla divorce, and Duff as we know would sell his mum for a dollar. So it all timed out perfect to cash in big time on nostalgia for all three and there probably never was any intention to release new music.... so no, I don’t believe we are ever getting new music before Axl is dead . I do believe that we will get another greatest hits package, possibly a live release but that’s it.  

Edited by megaguns1982
  • Sad 2

I am still holding on to some very dim and fading hope that something is coming.  This feels worse than the early 2000’s. At least then we had a bunch of leaks to you tube.  I remember waiting on much slower internet speeds to listen to better and many others.  I still can’t find hard school or Atlas. This is really staring to suck.  I wish I could stop checking this thread for updates. Lol 

• Haha 1

The "insider" at GNRevolution now seems pessimistic: 

The planning for the new album was shifted to the Euro and US tours. The situation with the virus is a wait and watch thing, ticket sales for concerts, in general, have stalled.

And:

New material was said, not album. So I do not know.

Slash is also planning to return to his other projects next year (not sure when)

18 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

The planning for the new album was shifted to the Euro and US tours. The situation with the virus is a wait and watch thing, ticket sales for concerts, in general, have stalled.

And:

Slash is also planning to return to his other projects next year (not sure when)

Fuck this shit. Worst "band" ever since 1993.

26 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

And:

Summary: Still, no one knows anything. 

25 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

And:

Welp, that’s the nail in the coffin for me! No new album, it sounds like.

I’ll at least hold onto hope that we get stuff like a UYI reissue and, if we’re lucky, maybe an EP or a new compilation with some new tunes or a song on a soundtrack or something.

52 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

And:

Slash doing SMKC next year isn't an unreasonable prediction, certain people in that camp think it might happen too. Depends on Myles too though.