Fortus says there was only a "brief moment" of chemistry in NuGNR

It's interesting that he thought the band had chemistry back in 2006, during the rehearsals, before Ron came in. In another interview, Brain seems pretty adamant about playing with GNR without Buckethead - he had really lost the interest without his friend there. 

So, the "lack of chemistry" is basically because Axl shoehorned Ron Thal in the band, and Richard lost his lead whole - he actually rehearsed stuff like IRS, There Was A Time and Better (and Riad, though it was never played live anyways), which were all pretty good Buckethead stuff. The only solo Richard kept, as far as I remember, was the Madagascar one.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/29/2020 at 1:29 PM, Sisyphus said:

The band really had a problem with Buckethead and then Bumblefoot. Shame for Buckethead especially.

I wonder how Fortus felt when Ashba butchered those solos night after night. What the fuck was Axl thinking? Just the fact he brought Ashba in is a testament how detached he must have been at that point. A Motley Crue clone/reject in GN'R? To reaplace the awesome Robin Finck no less? Thank god those days are over.

I've heard that DJ really was the last choice for them. He basically got the job for coming to the rehearsal room, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I've heard that DJ really was the last choice for them. He basically got the job for coming to the rehearsal room, lol. 

They had a load of guitarists lined up to rehearse, but Axl allegedly said if DJ was remotely interested, then the gig was his. 

On 9/2/2020 at 10:20 AM, Voodoochild said:

It's interesting that he thought the band had chemistry back in 2006, during the rehearsals, before Ron came in. In another interview, Brain seems pretty adamant about playing with GNR without Buckethead - he had really lost the interest without his friend there. 

So, the "lack of chemistry" is basically because Axl shoehorned Ron Thal in the band, and Richard lost his lead whole - he actually rehearsed stuff like IRS, There Was A Time and Better (and Riad, though it was never played live anyways), which were all pretty good Buckethead stuff. The only solo Richard kept, as far as I remember, was the Madagascar one.

It's funny to think that Richard never gained much more in the way of leads when Ashba joined. Richard and Ron should have been the sole lead guitarists at that point and then just hire another session player for rhythm.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, James Bond said:

It's funny to think that Richard never gained much more in the way of leads when Ashba joined. Richard and Ron should have been the sole lead guitarists at that point and then just hire another session player for rhythm.

That's the craziness of GN'R in a nutshell. Having two great guitarists like 4tus and BBF in the band and still hiring Ashba. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, James Bond said:

20 hours ago, Sosso said:

That's the craziness of GN'R in a nutshell. Having two great guitarists like 4tus and BBF in the band and still hiring Ashba. 

My theory is that Axl didn't think Fortus was charismatic enough. And Bumble was just too wacky. It's just the "image", not the sound. 

But I agree, the band didn't need Ashba. I do believe they needed Bucket and Bumble, though. I liked the three guitars lineup for the Chinese songs. 

Just now, Voodoochild said:

My theory is that Axl didn't think Fortus was charismatic enough. And Bumble was just too wacky. It's just the "image", not the sound. 

But I agree, the band didn't need Ashba. I do believe they needed Bucket and Bumble, though. I liked the three guitars lineup for the Chinese songs. 

They should have hired Robin for the 2009/10 Tour. NIN had no tour dates between September 2009 and 2013. That was a missed opportunity. 

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

They should have hired Robin for the 2009/10 Tour. NIN had no tour dates between September 2009 and 2013. That was a missed opportunity. 

This would be actually a perfect scenario to me. And not just because of This I Love. 

I think the problem was that Ashba was hired way back in early 2009, when the band was supposed to tour with Rolling Stones (or Van Halen? I can't  remember). And the relationship with Robin didn't seem to be that good because of that manager (who I also forgot the name lol).

5 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

This would be actually a perfect scenario to me. And not just because of This I Love. 

I think the problem was that Ashba was hired way back in early 2009, when the band was supposed to tour with Rolling Stones (or Van Halen? I can't  remember). And the relationship with Robin didn't seem to be that good because of that manager (who I also forgot the name lol).

Yeah, Ashba was hired in March 2009. But still, he could have focussed on SIXX:AM full time in that scenario. 

Edited by Sosso

8 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Van Halen. And I think the manager in question was Doc McGee??

• Thanks 1

Just now, soon said:

Van Halen. And I think the manager in question was Doc McGee??

I think he meant Irving Arzoff. Axl acussed him that he wanted to force him into a reunion with Slash. Cancelling the tour with Van Halen and not letting Robin rejoin the band were parts of the plan, at least according to Axl. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I think he meant Irving Arzoff. Axl acussed him that he wanted to force him into a reunion with Slash. Cancelling the tour with Van Halen and not letting Robin rejoin the band were parts of the plan, at least according to Axl. 

I honestly don't remember which one was. But yeah, that's what I meant. 

4 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Fortus is a piece of shit. Backstabber but on the other hand an asslicker. An opportunist who as a musician never has released anything that people care about.

It's so easy to judge people without knowing them. How many musicians were fired and badmouthed by Slash? Tracii Guns and Buckethead could tell you something about that. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Arzoff - that’s right! Thanks

I didn’t know that Axl alleges management prevented Robin from rejoining!

• Like 1

It’s sad to see how sour the relationship between Axl and Robin turned. Lots of red tape, politics and whatnot. Robin was very happy to be back in Nine Inch Nails for sure but the bridge was burned by piss poor management in GnR, Azoff also caused the follow ups to falter in favour of “zomg mega tourzzzz possibley with SLASH!” but of course, it never came to be. In short Azoff fucked New GnR Mark 2 which is a shame as towards the end of the 2006 runs they did seem to gel very well.

34 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

It’s sad to see how sour the relationship between Axl and Robin turned. Lots of red tape, politics and whatnot. Robin was very happy to be back in Nine Inch Nails for sure but the bridge was burned by piss poor management in GnR, Azoff also caused the follow ups to falter in favour of “zomg mega tourzzzz possibley with SLASH!” but of course, it never came to be. In short Azoff fucked New GnR Mark 2 which is a shame as towards the end of the 2006 runs they did seem to gel very well.

Irving wasn't managing them in 2006, think he took over in 2008? brokered the deal for the release and was gone shortly afterwards for pushing the reunion.

Had Axl and co managed to get along with him a bit more, he could have transformed that band from laughing stock to serious headliner... not NITL level but respectable.

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Irving wasn't managing them in 2006, think he took over in 2008? brokered the deal for the release and was gone shortly afterwards for pushing the reunion.

Had Axl and co managed to get along with him a bit more, he could have transformed that band from laughing stock to serious headliner... not NITL level but respectable.

The Irving Arzoff Incident convinced Axl not to work with any other external manager again and he hired Fernando. The rest is history. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sosso said:

The Irving Arzoff Incident convinced Axl not to work with any other external manager again and he hired Fernando. The rest is history. 

And unfortunately from that point on, axl only wanted to GNR focused on being a touring band only and not a creative band releasing new material.