Fortus says there was only a "brief moment" of chemistry in NuGNR

8 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Interesting, as for me Richard had the least charisma. I rarely looked at him the three times I saw NuGnr. Bucket, Bumble, Robin and of course Axl, but Richard...? He blended into the background.

He always looked familiar, "Izzy Stradlin Look-a-like".

There is a history that the band was on the airport in 2002, and then a fan came screaming to Richard and said "Hey Izzy, give me an autograph".

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

Lets be honest, the only reason Fortus is still there instead of Ron is because they couldn't have a guy in the band who would've shown up Slash. 

Ehm, Fortus IS "better" than Slash, as far as technique and musical knowledge is concerned. Slash himself said it (not with these words) in interviews.

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Lets be honest, the only reason Fortus is still there instead of Ron is because they couldn't have a guy in the band who would've shown up Slash. 

...or maybe, just maybe, the guy who replaced Buckethead and openly wished the band would progress, didn't want to be relegated to the rhythm guitar position on a reunion tour?

Fortus is technically a better player than Slash, but he's also the best choice from the nu-era to play alongside Slash.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Ehm, Fortus IS "better" than Slash, as far as technique and musical knowledge is concerned. Slash himself said it (not with these words) in interviews.

Yes, Fortus is better technically, but a very soulless session guy and not a threat to Slash's style of playing. Ron is a virtuoso who can literally play anything, so it'd be kind of embarassing having Slash share the stage with a guy who can play the original Guns lead parts with more technical precision than the guy who originally played them.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

If if he thinks the 2002 lineup had no chemistry then the current line-up has even less chemistry because there is no chemistry between him and Slash/Duff.

It is worth noting that it was him only that had no chemistry with the 2002 lineup. Buckethead, Finck and Brain had somehing great going on and they essentially wrote Chinese Democracy whereas Fortus wrote absolutely nothing. Also Bumblefoot was the only good thing to remember about the 2009 lineup.

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

The only reason is because the band need a yes man who looks like Izzy. 

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

If if he thinks the 2002 lineup had no chemistry then the current line-up has even less chemistry because there are no chemistry between him and Slash/Duff.

It is worh noting that it was him only that had no chemistry with the 2002 lineup. Buckethead, Finck and Brain were a combo from heaven. They essentially wrote Chinese Democracy whereas Fortus wrote absolutely nothing.

BH and Finck disliked one another.

Fortus wrote the chorus hook for one of the more liked tracks on CD, Better. And was already acquainted with Tommy and Freese iirc.

BH, Brain and their crew wrote some material. Separately and earlier, Finck worked with Paul, Dizzy, Freese and Tommy.

(Interesting to note that Paul ended up on Team BH/Brain)

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Fortus wrote the chorus hook for one of the more liked tracks on CD, Better. And was already acquainted with Tommy and Freese iirc.

BH, Brain and their crew wrote some material. Separately and earlier, Finck worked with Paul, Dizzy, Freese and Tommy.

He did?

1 minute ago, soon said:

Musically it worked but it was, however, a bit of a freak show. Finck probably hated Buckethead because he stole the spotlight.

The chorus hook is absolutely the worst thing about the song. It is a simple three chords riff that sounds like garbage.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

He did?

He went on to work with the Brain/Bucket/Sacaturo/Melissa camp for Electric Cinema. 

I feel like he's popped up with various people form that camp in addition to Electric Cinema? Possibly he appears on one of the Kind Regards albums? I could be wrong about that part though.

Usually I defer to you on this stuff - but I know he's done at least some wok with them for sure. Its the only post CD music from him that Im aware of.

9 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

Musically it worked but it was, however, a bit of a freak show. Finck probably hated Buckethead because he stole the spotlight.

The chorus hook is absolutely the worst thing about the song. It is a simple three chords riff that sounds like garbage.

I have an image in my mind of a goth Finck in stilettos, arguing with BH via Buckets' hand puppet named Herbie. Which is rumoured to have happened in Philly before the riot. One of my favourite things! :lol:

Huh, I like that hook. One of the more traditional Guns parts on the entire album if you ask me. Reminiscent of Garden of Eden, to my ears.

6 minutes ago, soon said:

He went on to work with the Brain/Bucket/Sacaturo/Melissa camp for Electric Cinema. 

I feel like he's popped up with various people form that camp in addition to Electric Cinema? Possibly he appears on one of the Kind Regards albums? I could be wrong about that part though.

Usually I defer to you on this stuff - but I know he's done at least some wok with them for sure. Its the only post CD music from him that Im aware of.

I remember that, eclectic cinema. Decent stuff.

• Like 2

Just now, soon said:

I have an image in my mind of a goth Finck in stilettos, arguing with BH via Buckets' hand puppet named Herbie. Which is rumoured to have happened in Philly before the riot. One of my favourite things! :lol:

Huh, I like that hook. One of the more traditional Guns parts on the entire album if you ask me. Reminiscent of Garden of Eden, to my ears.

lmao Buckethead, that's the beauty of him, he didn't gve a shit.

I think the hook doesn't fit very well. The entire album has plenty of moments like that, the odd parts.

Something motivated Finck in '06. No idea what it could've been. Wanting to prove they didn't need Buckethead? Wanting to be seen as more than "that skulleted freak", as he was called in reviews from 2002? Could be either, neither, or both. But he looked and played like a real rock star by all accounts, and I saw and heard it myself at the Sunday Hammerstein show.

Edited by SOH
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Silent Jay said:

lmao Buckethead, that's the beauty of him, he didn't gve a shit.

I think the hook doesn't fit very well. The entire album has plenty of moments like that, the odd parts.

Agreed. BH is a thing of beauty lol

Even though I think that chorus hook fits well, I know what you mean about some parts not fitting. I think they sometimes work to great effect, like in the heavy parts of Prostitute. And maybe my least favourite examples are from the leaks - the full version of Hard School and Going Down have these odd intros that, to me, feel completely unrelated to the songs.

The saying goes that 'A camel is a horse made by a committee.' CD has some camel aspects for sure.

54 minutes ago, soon said:

If that's true, then when Finck left / Bucket came in Axl should have gone with a Paul / Bucket / Brain line up then. With Bucket in the band you only need two guitarists, make Bucket the star axe slinger, Paul can play rhythm, write, and also act as support to Axl.

And sack off Tommy as well. Always saw him as a bully.

Basically I'm just gutted we got so little Bucket in Guns!, so am fabricating completely hypothetical scenarios that "could've been". Aah well.

• Like 3

For Fortus comments you can always count on:

"We've really been working on some awesome material that should be out soon" 

"<insert current line up here> is really amazing. Best it's ever been" 

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 3