'Not in this Lifetime' Selects - Overview

On 4/16/2021 at 3:48 PM, agustingloger said:

I've seen people crying over Slash's solos on the reunion shows here un Argentina. I don't think anyone would ever cry over Richard's solos. 

But yeah he may be more capable 😂

They might have been tears of despair 

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I'm not arguing taste, I'm saying Slash isn't untouchable. I liked Slash when he played with some semblance of restraint.

I've said it a 1000 times. There are accepted fundamentals of guitar soloing. Accepted "right" ways and accepted "wrong" ways. Playing a thousand notes over a ballad all the way through with minimal pauses is bad in everybody's book, with the exception of shredders. The original (TIL) builds and flows, slash's starts at the top and stays there, zero dynamics and it's really hard to recall a single luck he played. Play licks over the vocal line? Another example of things not to do but if you listen to the verses of sorry he's playing all over them and interfering with the vocal... whether Axl is good or not is beside the point, the vocal is always priority and you didn't step on it. He steps all over it.

I honestly think Slash could turn his volume up, squat over the strings and take a shit on the strings and you would still think it's gods gift to the instrument... and no, that's not how CD sounds😄

My gawd, you really don’t get it.

2 hours ago, moreblack said:

Then I see a show like this one and on their night, they were bloody good on this tour
https://www.facebook.com/GibbosAppetiteForVideos/videos/922906668184031

Got to say this show is pretty great 2.5hrs (perfect length) and the band sound fired up. I think they probably underestimated the length of the tour they went on. I doubt they thought in 2016 that they'd be intending on another leg of NITL in 2020, hard to blame them for making all that $$, but this is how I want to remember the reunion, block out most of 2017-2019😄

SCOM, Better, Coma, Estranged, TIL all sounded good/great vocally. This show should be a selects.

7 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I'm not arguing taste, I'm saying Slash isn't untouchable. I liked Slash when he played with some semblance of restraint.

I've said it a 1000 times. There are accepted fundamentals of guitar soloing. Accepted "right" ways and accepted "wrong" ways. Playing a thousand notes over a ballad all the way through with minimal pauses is bad in everybody's book, with the exception of shredders. The original (TIL) builds and flows, slash's starts at the top and stays there, zero dynamics and it's really hard to recall a single luck he played. Play licks over the vocal line? Another example of things not to do but if you listen to the verses of sorry he's playing all over them and interfering with the vocal... whether Axl is good or not is beside the point, the vocal is always priority and you didn't step on it. He steps all over it.

I honestly think Slash could turn his volume up, squat over the strings and take a shit on the strings and you would still think it's gods gift to the instrument... and no, that's not how CD sounds😄

The last part of your post shows that you don't read my posts carefully, or you just don't  understand them.

And than you say you aren't arguing about tastes but you do exactly that. Maybe there are some rules in music theories, I don't know and I couldn't care less. I don't listen to music and think "oh boy, he did something there, but the music fundamentals don't allow that, I don't have to like it, otherwise a strange guy on an internet forum will not agree with me blah blah blah". Either I like it or not.

I don't play guitar myself, neither any other instrument. All I do is listen to rock music my whole life. Does that make my opinion less worth than yours? If you think so, that's fine, but I'm not gonna change my preferences just  to please you. 

The TIL they choosed for the Selects... if that's just mindless shredding, ok. To me it's way more than that, it's what I wanna hear from Slash with all his powerful bends and nice runs. Accept it, or not. I said enough, more than I actually wanted, since I found out that you're ignoring significant parts of my posts that doesn't fit your agenda.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Maybe there are some rules in music theories

There are no rules. Playing a solo in the wrong key probably won't sound too good to most ears and I wouldn't advise it, but there's no rule against that either. But that isn't even what Slash is doing. This guy just doesn't like the way Slash plays, and that's fine, but he doesn't seem to be able to accept that others might do like it, which is pretty weird.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, EvanG said:

There are no rules. Playing a solo in the wrong key probably won't sound too good to most ears and I wouldn't advise it, but there's no rule against that either. But that isn't even what Slash is doing. This guy just doesn't like the way Slash plays, and that's fine, but he doesn't seem to be able to accept that others might do like it, which is pretty weird.

It's like some users think I just pretend to have this opinion only to offend them. That's bullshit of course. I have no intend to provoke anybody but as weird as they think my taste is regarding this topic, as weird I'm thinking theirs is, too. 

As you said, it's weird to not accept other peoples opinions but to each their own, I guess.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Free Bird said:

The last part of your post shows that you don't read my posts carefully, or you just don't  understand them.

And than you say you aren't arguing about tastes but you do exactly that. Maybe there are some rules in music theories, I don't know and I couldn't care less. I don't listen to music and think "oh boy, he did something there, but the music fundamentals don't allow that, I don't have to like it, otherwise a strange guy on an internet forum will not agree with me blah blah blah". Either I like it or not.

I don't play guitar myself, neither any other instrument. All I do is listen to rock music my whole life. Does that make my opinion less worth than yours? If you think so, that's fine, but I'm not gonna change my preferences just  to please you. 

The TIL they choosed for the Selects... if that's just mindless shredding, ok. To me it's way more than that, it's what I wanna hear from Slash with all his powerful bends and nice runs. Accept it, or not. I said enough, more than I actually wanted, since I found out that you're ignoring significant parts of my posts that doesn't fit your agenda.

If you're going to expect respect back for things you enjoy, then you're going to have to give the same. Outside of that saddle up, that's my overall point.

If you had said "I respect the other players, but Slash's version are more my style" that's totally cool no issue whatsoever because that's reasonable. However you insist on saying (ad nauseam) that every other guitar player outside of Slash/gilby/Izzy are shit, can't play the gnr catalogue, have no feel/vibe/emotion/creativity. You can see how that might rile someone who enjoys it up, I'd imagine? 

Also, I never said anything about music theory you implied that or misinterpreted me. I also said nothing about my superior knowledge because I can play... for all I know you could have been an incredible musician. I'm sharing my opinion. it's not fact. It's not music theory. I don't care if you play guitar and don't think any less of anybodies opinion, because they do or do not play... well unless you specifically talk about technique and are talking out your ass (which you haven't so far).

I was talking about common sense that is applicable to life and music. Do you talk over someone when they are trying to talk? Nope! Likewise when the singer is singing the guitar player is supposed to hold back and wait for the spaces between. The guitar player doesn't have to by some written theoretical rule, but it usually sounds like a mess if they throw caution to the wind instead of playing in-between the spaces. Maybe you like that sound? But generally speaking most people don't even if they can or cannot explain why it sounds off to them. You don't have to appreciate that, but it is commonly accepted.

As far as your tastes, they are yours and I'm not expecting or trying to change them. You like what you like end of story. I'm not arguing that you shouldn't. I'm explaining why I don't... while still respecting his past work and a lot of the other things he plays currently. IMO there are parts of his take on TIL (applicable to other songs too), that are sometimes good/great. There are also parts that are surprisingly awful for a player of his calibre. I'm not saying it's all bad all the time. Rare to find one that is quality from start to finish though.... again my taste / opinion.

As for why you're trying to make it personal by calling me weird? I have no idea. I haven't said anything about you other than you're wearing rose tinted glasses where Slash is involved... not exactly personal, that's music talk. If you want to go there cool, but I'm here to talk about music. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, EvanG said:

Nope you've missed the point too, you must be a tag team. Maybe I could have worded it better though.

I like 90% of how he plays. I hate his shredding which doesn't mean I hate all his fast playing, there's a difference. I accept and respect that some like it. I'm somewhat arguing the irony of a guy saying "this is shit" while whinging when I call his thing shit and saying "why can't you just appreciate my taste😫 also... the music you like is forgettable and the players can't play". 

Anyway I'm not sure why you're jumping in, bit weird😉

Edited by Tom2112

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

If you're going to expect respect back for things you enjoy, then you're going to have to give the same. Outside of that saddle up, that's my overall point.

If you had said "I respect the other players, but Slash's version are more my style" that's totally cool no issue whatsoever because that's reasonable. However you insist on saying (ad nauseam) that every other guitar player outside of Slash/gilby/Izzy are shit, can't play the gnr catalogue, have no feel/vibe/emotion/creativity. You can see how that might rile someone who enjoys it up, I'd imagine? 

Also, I never said anything about music theory you implied that or misinterpreted me. I also said nothing about my superior knowledge because I can play... for all I know you could have been an incredible musician. I'm sharing my opinion. it's not fact. It's not music theory. I don't care if you play guitar and don't think any less of anybodies opinion, because they do or do not play... well unless you specifically talk about technique and are talking out your ass (which you haven't so far).

I was talking about common sense that is applicable to life and music. Do you talk over someone when they are trying to talk? Nope! Likewise when the singer is singing the guitar player is supposed to hold back and wait for the spaces between. The guitar player doesn't have to by some written theoretical rule, but it usually sounds like a mess if they throw caution to the wind instead of playing in-between the spaces. Maybe you like that sound? But generally speaking most people don't even if they can or cannot explain why it sounds off to them. You don't have to appreciate that, but it is commonly accepted.

As far as your tastes, they are yours and I'm not expecting or trying to change them. You like what you like end of story. I'm not arguing that you shouldn't. I'm explaining why I don't... while still respecting his past work and a lot of the other things he plays currently. IMO there are parts of his take on TIL (applicable to other songs too), that are sometimes good/great. There are also parts that are surprisingly awful for a player of his calibre. I'm not saying it's all bad all the time. Rare to find one that is quality from start to finish though.... again my taste / opinion.

As for why you're trying to make it personal by calling me weird? I have no idea. I haven't said anything about you other than you're wearing rose tinted glasses where Slash is involved... not exactly personal, that's music talk. If you want to go there cool, but I'm here to talk about music. 

:thumbsup:

By the way, I think Slash's playing through the verses on Sorry is great and since it isn't too loud in the mix it shouldn't bother Axl. 

42 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

:thumbsup:

By the way, I think Slash's playing through the verses on Sorry is great and since it isn't too loud in the mix it shouldn't bother Axl. 

Cool, but I think we've more than reached the point of not agreeing. You can move along👋 

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Nope you've missed the point too, you must be a tag team. Maybe I could have worded it better though.

I like 90% of how he plays. I hate his shredding which doesn't mean I hate all his fast playing, there's a difference. I accept and respect that some like it. I'm somewhat arguing the irony of a guy saying "this is shit" while whinging when I call his thing shit and saying "why can't you just appreciate my taste😫 also... the music you like is forgettable and the players can't play". 

Anyway I'm not sure why you're jumping in, bit weird😉

Well, this is a forum, people react to what they read. If you don't like that, maybe stop posting? Or if you don't want other people to react to your posts, only communicate in PM from now on with the poster who is only allowed to react to your posts? Just a thought...

Anywho, these were your exact words,

There are accepted fundamentals of guitar soloing. Accepted "right" ways and accepted "wrong" ways. Playing a thousand notes over a ballad all the way through with minimal pauses is bad in everybody's book.

And no offence, but that makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe don't act like you know what other people like or don't like, or else you can expect people to react to your BS? Just a tip...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

Well, this is a forum, people react to what they read. If you don't like that, maybe stop posting? Or if you don't want other people to react to your posts, only communicate in PM from now on with the poster who is only allowed to react to your posts? Just a thought...

Anywho, these were your exact words,

And no offence, but that makes no sense whatsoever. Maybe don't act like you know what other people like or don't like, or else you can expect people to react to your BS? Just a tip...

Well... it's ideas / concepts on guitar that I've heard from some of the best in demand musicians I've seen. You obviously think I know know nothing but some of these musicians are top of the food chain in session work worldwide (Tim pierce is a famous example of someone who shares this view). I can safely say the majority know what people like to hear considering it's their entire job. I'm not saying you aren't a great musician too, before It's suggested I'm saying it... But you're also saying what ALL those people believe "makes no sense whatsoever" so I do have some concerns for the listener, if you do play.

Anyhoo it's not some new idea! I honestly can't believe I have to defend that quote. And... again, a musicians point of view isn't superior to non musicians, I'm just referencing my own experience, circle of friends / acquaintances and the numerous interviews with musicians I've watched / read over the last however many years... point is it's not some mumbo jumbo, but also not gospel. You don't have to play by the rules (duh!!!) There are no rules I'd love to find the quote where I said that like you're suggesting! didn't say there was:facepalm: I'll give a little and say maybe I should have said 'common practices' instead of 'fundamentals' and 'Right and wrong' was probably the wrong choice of words too, let's say seriously frowned upon instead. I still stand 100% behind the idea I was trying to get over though.

You slickly avoided a pretty critical point in my response to you too. Guess it devalues your position to acknowledge I might have had a valid point (initially, at the very least) to call out your bud. It's cool, we don't have to backtrack. 

Finally... I love this forum (even now😄), I'm not going to stop posting, or posting about shitty Slash moments. I'm clearly perfectly happy to debate and defend my point of view. I was making fun of you for acting superior "I know what this guy is thinking" and then you completely misrepresent my thoughts. I love Slash's playing, I hate 1 aspect of it when he (IMO) ruins great songs with piss poor shred improv "Maybe don't act like you know what other people like or don't like, or else you can expect people to react to your BS? Just a tip..." live by your own words🤣 I guess i'll have to preface every Slash critique with "IMO" from now on so I don't upset you or Free Bird.

Now go in peace, I'm hopefully done talking with both of you about this and anything related to the saviour Slash. Like what you like, as will I and we'll all go on our merry way. Best of luck in your future endeavours.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Well... it's ideas / concepts on guitar that I've heard from some of the best in demand musicians I've seen. You obviously think I know know nothing but some of these musicians are top of the food chain in session work worldwide (Tim pierce is a famous example of someone who shares this view). I can safely say the majority know what people like to hear considering it's their entire job. I'm not saying you aren't a great musician too, before It's suggested I'm saying it... But you're also saying what ALL those people believe "makes no sense whatsoever" so I do have some concerns for the listener, if you do play.

Anyhoo it's not some new idea! I honestly can't believe I have to defend that quote. And... again, a musicians point of view isn't superior to non musicians, I'm just referencing my own experience, circle of friends / acquaintances and the numerous interviews with musicians I've watched / read over the last however many years... point is it's not some mumbo jumbo, but also not gospel. You don't have to play by the rules (duh!!!) There are no rules I'd love to find the quote where I said that like you're suggesting! didn't say there was:facepalm: I'll give a little and say maybe I should have said 'common practices' instead of 'fundamentals' and 'Right and wrong' was probably the wrong choice of words too, let's say seriously frowned upon instead. I still stand 100% behind the idea I was trying to get over though.

You slickly avoided a pretty critical point in my response to you too. Guess it devalues your position to acknowledge I might have had a valid point (initially, at the very least) to call out your bud. It's cool, we don't have to backtrack. 

Finally... I love this forum (even now😄), I'm not going to stop posting, or posting about shitty Slash moments. I'm clearly perfectly happy to debate and defend my point of view. I was making fun of you for acting superior "I know what this guy is thinking" and then you completely misrepresent my thoughts. I love Slash's playing, I hate 1 aspect of it when he (IMO) ruins great songs with piss poor shred improv "Maybe don't act like you know what other people like or don't like, or else you can expect people to react to your BS? Just a tip..." live by your own words🤣 I guess i'll have to preface every Slash critique with "IMO" from now on so I don't upset you or Free Bird.

Now go in peace, I'm hopefully done talking with both of you about this and anything related to the saviour Slash. Like what you like, as will I and we'll all go on our merry way. Best of luck in your future endeavours.

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I never thought you know nothing because I don't even know you, that would be a rather ignorant thought on my part. I wasn't interfering with your little argument on here either. I was merely reacting to you assumption that other people can't like something just because you and all your top musician friends don't like it or don't consider it the right way of playing guitar. Maybe you didn't mean to phrase it that way, but that's exactly how you did it. Unfortunately this happens too often, especially online. I have no interest in debating someone's taste because there's no right or wrong anyway. To each their own and all, ya know. Just don't claim that other people can't like something just because you, and maybe even the majority, won't like it. That's all.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 2

I think it's amazing how the same people who said the worsts things about Finck, Bucket, Bumble, Ashba and Fortus for not playing note for note Slash solos in the past are the ones trying to justify why Slash is not doing it with Chinese songs and sometimes his own solos...

And the reason they try to justify it is the classic vibe/feel excuse...

When 50% the vibe/feel thing is an out of tune bend with a closed eye and a pain expression that says "wow I almost fucked up big time"

Edited by Beto 22
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They uploaded Black Hole Sun as a tribute to 4 years since Chris Cornell passed, and while the sentiment is nice, it sounds terrible.
Axl is mostly Mickey, out of breath and out of time.

And these videos are so damn glaringly obvious that there are no close up shots of Axl, so you can’t see how bad he looks. So they look terribly edited too. Close up of Slash, close up of Duff, and then back of the stadium for a shot of Axl. Looks amateurish as hell. 

• Sad 1

On 5/19/2021 at 8:20 AM, metallex78 said:

They uploaded Black Hole Sun as a tribute to 4 years since Chris Cornell passed, and while the sentiment is nice, it sounds terrible.
Axl is mostly Mickey, out of breath and out of time.

And these videos are so damn glaringly obvious that there are no close up shots of Axl, so you can’t see how bad he looks. So they look terribly edited too. Close up of Slash, close up of Duff, and then back of the stadium for a shot of Axl. Looks amateurish as hell. 

It's probably the worst cover of this song ever!! And I don't mean this particular version, all the times GNR played this song it's embarassing and hard to listen

• Like 1