'Not in this Lifetime' Selects - Overview

Ah fuck it, I'll launch my oar in here too on the Slash point. Back in the day I thought he was great. These days he pisses me off. Seen him twice past few years... Once with GNR and another time with SMKC. Both occasions he played many many many many extended guitar solos. Which frankly bored the tits of me. He seems to have fallen into the speed is good trap which is never a good thing. Unless you're Ritchie Blackmore!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 19AT5 said:

Ah fuck it, I'll launch my oar in here too on the Slash point. Back in the day I thought he was great. These days he pisses me off. Seen him twice past few years... Once with GNR and another time with SMKC. Both occasions he played many many many many extended guitar solos. Which frankly bored the tits of me. He seems to have fallen into the speed is good trap which is never a good thing. Unless you're Ritchie Blackmore!

You're not the only one

You're not the only one

It's a thing, really. Axl sounds like shit and Slash completly lost his taste, which used to be the strongest aspect of his playing. Note choice, feeling, that what Slash was all about. 10 minute solos with just senseless noodling, who wants to hear that? It's Spinal Tap without being funny.

• Like 2

Just now, El Guapo said:

It's a thing, really. Axl sounds like shit and Slash completly lost his taste, which used to be the strongest aspect of his playing. Note choice, feeling, that what Slash was all about. 10 minute solos with just senseless noodling, who wants to hear that? It's Spinal Tap without being funny.

Aye, would agree with most of that like. The SMKC gig I saw was soooooo boring! So much so I ended up pumping my ex!!!! Haha!

• Haha 1

The thing about Slash is, he’s Slash. He can play shit, he can play well. He has nothing to prove and clearly doesn’t give a shit.

Robin was my favourite addition to GnR and he proved himself more than capable of filling Slash’s shoes, because he grew as a musician while playing for the band. He developed. Same for Richard too. 

I’d kill to have the 2002 lineup with 2006 vocals, I’m sure we all would. Shame it’ll never happen.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I actually really liked Finck in the band. The fun thing about him was he changed a bunch of solos to how he plays and I didn’t mind. Really liked a few of them too. I’ll be damned if I don’t bend some of SCOM notes the way he did. But Slash doesn’t play a lot of the solos even remotely close and that annoys me.

2 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

I find it hilarious that for years everyone kept crapping on this band because Slash was not playing and now that Slash is back, people are crapping on his playing and asking for the replacement players to come back.

What kind of alternate reality are we living in? 

I took years and years and YEARS of shit for being happy as hell with Robin in the band and not wanting Slash back. I got my head caved in on every forum from 2002 through 2007 for regularly saying that I preferred Robin to Slash. 

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I toll years and years and YEARS of shit for being happy as hell with Robin in the band and not wanting Slash back. I got my head caved in on every forum from 2002 through 2007 for regularly saying that I preferred Robin to Slash. 

True story! At least you’ve been consistent!!!! 

• Thanks 2

Guns without Slash is just wrong. But who would have guessed that him coming back would be such a letdown. 

Not gonna lie, the way things are these days, having Finck on lead guitar would be a lot more interesting than what we have now.

I really don't wanna hear another 10 minute "blues jam" with Slash playing as many random notes as he can.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I took years and years and YEARS of shit for being happy as hell with Robin in the band and not wanting Slash back. I got my head caved in on every forum from 2002 through 2007 for regularly saying that I preferred Robin to Slash. 

But why do you think they are the same people?

It's look like the  people who bashed Finck for not playin Slash's solo note for note are the same who's praisin' Slash for doin' the same thing. 

I really like more what Finck played between 2001 and 2007  than what Slash has played from 2016 till now.

By far.

An alternative reality is sayin that is Slash is playin great since the reunion started

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

When you say you prefer Robin to Slash, do you mean you prefer Robins take on Slash's solos? I mean, it's easy to take for granted music we've known for 30+yrs, but stuff like Slash's lead work on Nov Rain, Estranged, Nightrain, SCOM etc is legendary for a reason.

I like some of Finck's stuff as much as the next Chinese Democracy fan (his solo on Better alone is more inspired than anything I've heard Slash play since the mid-90s), but I think it'd be a stretch to say that any post-1996 guitarist can compete with the best work Slash did in the original band. 

• Like 1

I'd say I loved them both, as I've loved all incarnations of the band.

Having said that- Slash looks incredibly bored now. It's really noticeable when you see SMKC- he just seems so much more into it and dynamic. 

Calling Slash's playing bad though is madness. He's probably just thoroughly bored of playing the same things night after night, and it shows! 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Towelie said:

When you say you prefer Robin to Slash, do you mean you prefer Robins take on Slash's solos? I mean, it's easy to take for granted music we've known for 30+yrs, but stuff like Slash's lead work on Nov Rain, Estranged, Nightrain, SCOM etc is legendary for a reason.

I like some of Finck's stuff as much as the next Chinese Democracy fan (his solo on Better alone is more inspired than anything I've heard Slash play since the mid-90s), but I think it'd be a stretch to say that any post-1996 guitarist can compete with the best work Slash did in the original band. 

Off the top of my head, I favor Robin's takes on the ISE, NR and Patience solos over Slashs. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Off the top of my head, I favor Robin's takes on the ISE, NR and Patience solos over Slashs. 

Yeah, but my point is, there would be no NR or Patience solo from Finck without Slash setting the basic structure first in his original solos, no?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

Yeah, but my point is, there would be no NR or Patience solo from Finck without Slash setting the basic structure first in his original solos, no?!

Right.......what does that have to do with me liking Robin's versions of those solos better? 

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Right.......what does that have to do with me liking Robin's versions of those solos better? 

Just saying credit should always be due to the guy who wrote the solo to begin with... it's like saying "man I love the way Ron played the TWAT solo live"... which is fine but surely the real credit should go to Bucket for having written it in the first place?

37 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Just saying credit should always be due to the guy who wrote the solo to begin with... it's like saying "man I love the way Ron played the TWAT solo live"... which is fine but surely the real credit should go to Bucket for having written it in the first place?

Maybe, but in the case of something like BH's Nightrain solo, it's so different from the original I can't really say it has anything to do with Slash.

On 5/11/2021 at 3:57 AM, vloors said:

And now its gone

No, it's on the official page bit it's buried in there hard to find. They were uploading things as recently as last week, so I doubt they are blocking their own channel... but it is gnr🤔

55 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Well yeah. I've never said Slash wasn't great for GN'R when he was in the band originally. I don't dislike Slash by any means. I just happened to like Robin more in the band than him. 

9 hours ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

I find it hilarious that for years everyone kept crapping on this band because Slash was not playing and now that Slash is back, people are crapping on his playing and asking for the replacement players to come back.

What kind of alternate reality are we living in? 

I'm relatively pleased they are together, just for the young Tom, but if I was grand ruler, the reunion wouldn't have happened.

To be fair a lot of us that criticise Slash now, were people saying that a reunion was not something we were particularly interested in. I was happy with the line up, even willing to put up with Dj.

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Well yeah. I've never said Slash wasn't great for GN'R when he was in the band originally. I don't dislike Slash by any means. I just happened to like Robin more in the band than him. 

Russ, you prefer Fank on drums so you don't count. :lol:

It's weird, but I'm in a similar position as you were years ago. Maybe not in the same extent, though.

I'm getting criticized for liking Slash in GNR more than any other guitarist, but I just don't care anymore at this point.

I'm still blown away by his style, even on some of his takes on CD and I didn't like Finck to beginn with, especially live, why should I have changed my opinion by now? It's what it is and I have to deal with it.

Edited by Free Bird