Axl's Favourite Albums...

2 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

What's your favourite Beatles album?

I think I'd have to say the Best of the Beatles.

What 'best of' are you referring to you? I own Beatles Past Masters vol 1 & 2 but there's not enough songs on there to be truly representative. I also have 1962-1966 (Red Album) and 1967-1970 (Blue Album). Both Red and Blue are double albums so there's a lot of songs and it's probably the best 'greatest hits' package out there. But there's too much stuff missing. I also have 1 (#1 singles collections), hugely popular but flawed in a sense that a lot ob best Beatles songs didn't necessarily reach number one.

The Beatles are in my top 5 bands so obviously each album is amazing. As far as the favourite goes it depends but if I really had to choose I'd go with the White Album. But for someone that's just getting started I'd recommend Rubber Soul or A Hard Day's Night (the best of the early Beatles). 

Slash once called Use Your Illusions the Guns' version of the White Album. "Maybe not as good," he said. No Slash, even better!

Beatles ranked (some are interchangeable):
White Album
Revolver
Rubber Soul
Sgt. Pepper
Abbey Road
Magical Mystery Tour (not an album in the UK)
A Hard Days Night
Let It Be
Help
With The Beatles
Please Please Me
Beatles For Sale
Yellow Submarine

Edited by Sisyphus

39 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

What 'best of' are you referring to you? I own Beatles Past Masters vol 1 & 2 but there's not enough songs on there to be truly representative. I also have 1962-1966 (Red Album) and 1967-1970 (Blue Album). Both Red and Blue are double albums so there's a lot of songs and it's probably the best 'greatest hits' package out there. But there's too much stuff missing. I also have 1 (#1 singles collections), hugely popular but flawed in a sense that a lot ob best Beatles songs didn't necessarily reach number one.

The Beatles are in my top 5 bands so obviously each album is amazing. As far as the favourite goes it depends but if I really had to choose I'd go with the White Album. But for someone that's just getting started I'd recommend Rubber Soul or A Hard Day's Night (the best of the early Beatles). 

Slash once called Use Your Illusions the Guns' version of the White Album. "Maybe not as good," he said. No Slash, even better!

White Album
Revolver
Rubber Soul
Sgt. Pepper
Abbey Road
A Hard Days Night
Let It Be
Help
With The Beatles
Please Please Me
Beatles For Sale
Yellow Submarine

Past Masters is more an ''odds and sods'' package than a greatest hits/best of, gathering together all the non-album singles, Long Tall Sally EP alongside oddities like the two German songs, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sisyphus said:

White Album
Revolver
Rubber Soul
Sgt. Pepper
Abbey Road
A Hard Days Night
Let It Be
Help
With The Beatles
Please Please Me
Beatles For Sale
Yellow Submarine

It’s from Alan Partridge, YouTube Alan Partidge on music!

2 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

White Album
Revolver
Rubber Soul
Sgt. Pepper
Abbey Road
A Hard Days Night
Let It Be
Help
With The Beatles
Please Please Me
Beatles For Sale
Yellow Submarine

Sorry, was a bad joke. There's a British comedy programme where a guy pretends to be a music fan, and when he's asked which is his favourite Beatles album he stutters "the best of the Beatles". Was quoting from that. It's very popular in the UK, but I guess not elsewhere.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Sorry, was a bad joke. There's a British comedy programme where a guy pretends to be a music fan, and when he's asked which is his favourite Beatles album he stutters "the best of the Beatles". Was quoting from that. It's very popular in the UK, but I guess not elsewhere.

AHA!!

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Past Masters is more an ''odds and sods'' package than a greatest hits/best of, gathering together all the non-album singles, Long Tall Sally EP alongside oddities like the two German songs, etc. 

Didn't really know that, I just bought it quite recently, more as a completist type of thing. I thought of it as some sort of GH package because it does contain a lot of hits.

Edited by Sisyphus

6 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

Now I feel foolish. :facepalm: I had no idea, never heard of that bit. It's a good joke, I like it. I just jumped at the opportunity to talk about The Beatles. :lol:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sisyphus said:

Now I feel foolish. :facepalm: I had no idea, never heard of that bit. It's a good joke, I like it. I just jumped at the opportunity to talk about The Beatles. :lol:

It's a joke within the show that every time I watch I think 'that joke doesn't work because there is no 'best of the beatles' released'. I usually point out that fact to whatever poor bastard is watching it with me too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

It's a joke within the show that every time I watch I think 'that joke doesn't work because there is no 'best of the beatles' released'. I usually point out that fact to whatever poor bastard is watching it with me too. 

I always took that as part of the joke. I.e. a real Beatles fan would know there wasn't a best of, so saying that just made it even more stupid than not knowing your favourite album, if you know what I mean.

On topic, I'd love to see a photo of Axl's vinyl collection and the vinyl player / sound system, that interests me almost as much as what bands he likes.

18 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Rings a bell🤔 what was the show called?

• 8 months later...

Some great research/compilation work here. Thank you! 

Have always wondered what (if any) influence classical composers have had on Axl. Vivaldi and Beethoven (particularly on Chinese) come to mind to me as a listener- but of course could be waaaaaay off.