North America 2021 rescheduled/cancelled/new tour dates discussion thread

9 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

Casual fans dont have any interest in seeing the same show more than once. If they know, they're getting something comepletely new, they'll be more tempted.

Casual fans are interested in seeing the hits. Not in new songs that most likely pale in comparison.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

Casual fans are interested in seeing the hits. Not in new songs that most likely pale in comparison.

That's a generalization that i don't think is fitting. People dont have to be die hards to be fan of their music and even buy their new albums and enjoy them seeing in a new show. If someone who's a casual already paid 120$ for a show, why would he pay again to see the same shit again?

• Like 2

A little advice: Any time you guys bump into this “casual fans won’t wanna hear that / videos cost too much” type of bullshit scheme in your head, just use one particular rule of thumb which goes like this: How the hell have all those heaps and loads of other bands and artists managed then!?

There, you’re welcome. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, jamillos said:

A little advice: Any time you guys bump into this “casual fans won’t wanna hear that / videos cost too much” type of bullshit scheme in your head, just use one particular rule of thumb which goes like this: How the hell have all those heaps and loads of other bands and artists managed then!?

There, you’re welcome. 

Probably by constantly releasing new stuff, never descending into that legends mode where new material is irrelevant and don't count anymore and most people come for the old stuff instead of the new. But even for artists like U2, Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones, Kiss, Prince (while he was still alive) Metallica, Alice Cooper... who have managed to release new stuff here and there, the casuals to not go to their shows to listen to their current songs. They go for the hits. I'd say most bands reach the point after a number of years, where casuals come see them for the hits and not for the weaker new songs that can't hold a candle to the tried and tested staples and take their place. Any new song means a hit less played. It's usually only the die hards, who are tired of the hits and want new stuff.

• Like 1

Releasing a new album gives the band a breathe of fresh air by a marketing stand point too. Casuals get excited with a band they like (even if its 2 o 3 hits) when they see they are trending. The band charts, the band releases singles and new videos, the band does press, they re brand the tour with catchy new names and new tech or whatever. Even social media and spotifys algorithm get excited and recommend the band more, etc. Its important to release new shit even if your a mammoth millionaire band, dont matter if they play 2 new songs on the tour, its still new. (Yes im aware GNR probably wont do half the shit i listed there if they release a new album but still).

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Walapino said:

Releasing a new album gives the band a breathe of fresh air by a marketing stand point too. Casuals get excited with a band they like (even if its 2 o 3 hits) when they see they are trending. The band charts, the band releases singles and new videos, the band does press, they re brand the tour with catchy new names and new tech or whatever. Even social media and spotifys algorithm get excited and recommend the band more, etc. Its important to release new shit even if your a mammoth millionaire band, dont matter if they play 2 new songs on the tour, its still new. (Yes im aware GNR probably wont do half the shit i listed there if they release a new album but still).

bUt cAsuAls oNly WanT thE HiTs

16 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

bUt cAsuAls oNly WanT thE HiTs

And that's the truth. Whether you like that or not.

23 minutes ago, Walapino said:

Releasing a new album gives the band a breathe of fresh air by a marketing stand point too.

And that's the only reason why it could make sense. The marketing push. Not the actual music.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

And that's the only reason why it could make sense. The marketing push. Not the actual music.

yup thats why bands release new music from a business stand point it makes sense, most of them play 2 o 3 songs max in their setlist, its still greatest hits + 3 new songs and all the marketing that the new album brings.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

And that's the truth. Whether you like that or not.

Yep. Marketing and a general sense of freshness, buzz and living in the present. They works both ways I'd say- for the audience and the band. Difficult for a band to maintain interest in their own music when they play the same songs over and over and over. Those recent Selects show a band who look utterly bored sick of playing the same songs. 

17 hours ago, allwaystired said:

I went to see U2 in their last tour, and I'm not that much of a fan....but to be honest I was impressed how LITTLE they played for casuals. There were a few hits in there, but a lot of new stuff, lesser played older stuff etc.

They managed to play barely any of the U2 songs I like....but I was absolutely fine with that as it meant the show didn't seem 'by numbers'. Made me wish I was a bigger fan of theirs to be honest!

Was this on their Joshua Tree tour?  I've really regretted not going to see it, always heard that the fan streams don't do the shows nearly enough justice for how awesome their presentation was.  Their sets have the same amount of "predictability" that GNR sets have, but the band sounds as strong as ever.  Hoping they spent 2020 working hard on their next album (Songs of Ascent?)

21 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Sure they do. But they only want them once or twice. Hence why they're not interested in going to see GNR any more. 

That's my point. They're not going to see the same show 3 times because they cant get enough of the hits and the same show. GNR need something new to attract the casual fans to keep going to their shows

Edited by StayofExecution2020
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Was this on their Joshua Tree tour?  I've really regretted not going to see it, always heard that the fan streams don't do the shows nearly enough justice for how awesome their presentation was.  Their sets have the same amount of "predictability" that GNR sets have, but the band sounds as strong as ever.  Hoping they spent 2020 working hard on their next album (Songs of Ascent?)

No, the one after. Songs of Experience and Innocence tour. Here's the setlist. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/u2/2018/manchester-arena-manchester-england-1b96f578.html

As you can see- 7 songs from their new album, and a mixed bag of older ones. Pretty varied really. As I say, I'm not a huge fan, and they didn't play a lot of the 'classics' I like- but I definitely appreciated that. I'm sure big fans were kept happy, and as a very very casual fan/taken along by someone,  I also enjoyed the show. The presentation was fantastic yeah- in the middle of the arena, some of it inside giant screens, really great stage show whether you like the music or not really. 

7 minutes ago, StayofExecution2020 said:

That's my point. They're not going to see the same show 3 times because they cant get enough of the hits and the same show. GNR need something new to attract the casual fans to keep going to their shows

Oh absolutely. No question....but argument would be that that new music does fulfil thst role, whether inadvertently or not. Gives the band energy, drive and a bit of momentum. 

Edited by allwaystired

31 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Guns could easily play most of a new album. How many hits do they have that they absolutly HAVE to play with their small output? SCOM, Jungle, November Rain, Paradise City. Everything else is optional, imo.

Jungle, SCOM, PC, Brownstone, Nightrain, Nov Rain and KOHD are basically the only songs they "have to" play.

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Jungle, SCOM, PC, Brownstone, Nightrain, Nov Rain and KOHD are basically the only songs they "have to" play.

I would add LOLD and Don't Cry to the have to play list.  *I don't need to ever hear KOHD again.  Loved it back in the day but my god they've turned it into a 23 minute snoozer.  

7 minutes ago, Original said:

I would add LOLD and Don't Cry to the have to play list.  *I don't need to ever hear KOHD again.  Loved it back in the day but my god they've turned it into a 23 minute snoozer.  

Most people would say Patience > Don't Cry but I wouldn't count either of those as "must plays". KOHD is absolutely a snoozefest now but crowds still seem to like the singalong part so... :shrugs:

6 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Maybe you overestimate though how many casuals actually want new songs. How many casuals do want to pay a shit load for a ticket to go to a show that features 5 songs they don't know. Casuals do not flock to check out new albums. To many of those casuals new songs are bathroom/bar breaks as, let's face it, the likelyhood that those songs really stand up with the classics, is rather slim at this point. So really, the ones clamoring for new songs are the die hards. Not the casuals.

I'd counter this by saying those casuals only know 5/6 songs anyway, so a 25 song set with 5 new songs or 5 illusion/lies songs makes no difference

5 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

No. What I'm saying is, that casuals wouldn't care too much about new stuff and that you overstate the importance of it and the people who are looking for new stuff are mainly the die hards, who are a minority in the stadiums. Point is, they wouldn't gain too much by actually releasing new stuff, as the majority won't give a shit, unless it's as great as AFD.

They're a band! Musicians! musicians release music. By this logic, why did they even bother releasing the illusions? Why did ACDC release anything after back in black? Release new music, tour it. that's the deal. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

They're a band! Musicians! musicians release music. By this logic, why did they even bother releasing the illusions? Why did ACDC release anything after back in black? Release new music, tour it. that's the deal. 

The idea that 'there's no point' if you've done something great in the past is insane. Imagine if The Beatles had done that! 'Well, you know, nothing we do is going to be as good as Revolver, so let's never release anything ever again'! 

'Ah, you know, I made The Godfather, and everyone loved that, so there's no point making another film!' 

It's an excuse only ever applied to GNR- there's no other band it could be used on. Any other band acknowledges they have a 'classic album' or two in their back catalogue that will never be matched in terms of popularity or cultural reference (and a lot of this is simply right thing, right time in history) thinks 'great' and moves on.  

Saying a band should never bother to do anything new as it will never be as popular is absolutely astonishing really. 

• Like 4