General Chat / Random Musings - 2021

downzy

32 minutes ago, action said:

I've got a Van Gogh painting box, and will hone my oil painting skills in 2023.

Next, I'll be painting a grassland, in the style of Van Gogh, but with a little more perspective and depth (Van Gogh wasn't very technical, but his use of color was great)

I'll be posting the results shortly!

hopefully this won't mean you'll neglect your whisdom book. Still need to publish it soon for the betterment of humankind.

• Haha 1

On 12/30/2022 at 9:27 PM, ZoSoRose said:

It’s ok, I don’t think any of us can. Those days are gone :lol:

don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened <3

On 12/17/2022 at 6:09 PM, HOLDEN CAULFIELD said:

THINKING THE SAME NEVER LEFT JUST COULND BE ARSED LIKE lOADSA PEOPLE THOSE WHERE THE DAYS 

just glad to see you're alive and haven't changed :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

Ah, what city? I traveled a bit in Czech back in the days, spent time in Praha, Cesky Krumlov and Telc. Great country, great people, great beer and food, beautiful cities, just a great country. 

Holy friggin cow, man, you've seen something! I'm from this small town called Kutna Hora. You wouldn't have heard of it, except there's this famous Ossuary ("bone church"), which TB, including Del James iirc, visited when Guns played in Prague in 2017. They even posted some photos. Alas, I wasn't aware of it at that time. Hope you have some good memories, and I think you do.

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

before I began, I studied a couple of van gogh's landscapes, tried to figure out his style, and then applied this to a picture of the countryside I visited so much as a kid.

This has the disadvantage of not having an original style, but it's a style I'm very much a fan of, always was

some guitarists try to achieve slash's style, well, in painting, I try to reach van gogh's style. All for fun, it's only a hobby.

it's not a difficult style. I clocked in under just three hours, by which point I was starting to get a sore arm and wrapped things up.

Color, that's what I wanted. I'm sick and tired of darkness, greys and browns all around me. I looked all around, for a painting full of colour and movement, didn't find it, or at too much a price. So I said, I'll just make one myself!

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I’m a huge Van Gogh fan, been visiting the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam since I was a kid. Went to MoMA just to see The Starry Night in real life. Imitating Van Gogh never works, or any master for that matter.

works fine for me. the end result, is exactly what I pictured in my mind, when I bought that canvas. Exactly. Succes, again. 

the colors shine, it is raining colors.

starry night, it certainly isn't. but it's not exactly a turd nailed to the wall either.

don't worry EvanegativeG, I won't quit my job and become a professional painter. I wont earn a penny from my work. Hope that makes you feel better, brother.

5 minutes ago, action said:

works fine for me. the end result, is exactly what I pictured in my mind, when I bought that canvas. Exactly. Succes, again. 

the colors shine, it is raining colors.

starry night, it certainly isn't. but it's not exactly a turd nailed to the wall either.

don't worry EvanegativeG, I won't quit my job and become a professional painter. I wont earn a penny from my work. Hope that makes you feel better, brother.

Just being honest, as a Van Gogh fanatic.
You posted your crappy painting on a public forum to get feedback, so you got it, and I’m not going to say it’s good when it’s not. But I hope you had a lot of fun making it and that it took your mind off of trolling on the internet for a few hours. Can’t wait to critique your next one. Maybe I will like that one and I can be positive : )

• Haha 1

Just now, EvanG said:

Just being honest, as a Van Gogh fanatic.
You posted your crappy painting on a public forum to get feedback, so you got it, and I’m not going to say it’s good when it’s not. But I hope you had a lot of fun making it and that it took your mind off of trolling on the internet for a few hours. Can’t wait to critique your next one. Maybe I will like that one and I can be positive : )

thanks for your honest opinion, at least.

three hours of work, between two meals, can't expect the lamb of god then.

I'm going to say something positive about you: you have good taste in paintings; Van Gogh is unwordly.

my next painting will be something with snow, but with lots of colours. Like a cristmas three reflecting on the snow; that effect. Not sure how I'll conceive that. We'll see. And also, something with the sea. After that, it's over, I quit. I'm running out of walls to hang em up.