General Chat / Random Musings - 2021

downzy

10 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

I didn't ask whether I was right. I think what you've done is gotten confused by the concept of somebody asking a question without giving an opinion. 

did my answer respond to your objections / questions / opinions, or are there topics left you want me to investigate?

13 hours ago, action said:

did my answer respond to your objections / questions / opinions, or are there topics left you want me to investigate?

No it didn't. I didn't object to what you said and wasn't so much about the topics. I just wanted to point out that when your posting questions that you want to investigate you need to consider the full facts. 

11 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

No it didn't. I didn't object to what you said and wasn't so much about the topics. I just wanted to point out that when your posting questions that you want to investigate you need to consider the full facts. 

facts are a strange phenomenon.

when something is presented in the form of tables, statistics and "measurements", they immediately get the stamp of "absolute" truth.

the greek call this kind of knowledge "techni".

but facts, are much more than that. they also consist of intuition, opinion and logic.

it seems, you use a very narrow definition of "facts". It seems that to you, a fact can only consist of something that carries a piece of "proof", preferrably proof stemming from scientific research.

My definition is much broader.

So my questions / statements ARE based on facts, just not the facts that you deem valid. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, action said:

facts are a strange phenomenon.

when something is presented in the form of tables, statistics and "measurements", they immediately get the stamp of "absolute" truth.

the greek call this kind of knowledge "techni".

but facts, are much more than that. they also consist of intuition, opinion and logic.

it seems, you use a very narrow definition of "facts". It seems that to you, a fact can only consist of something that carries a piece of "proof", preferrably proof stemming from scientific research.

My definition is much broader.

So my questions / statements ARE based on facts, just not the facts that you deem valid. 

Can you run what "techni" means again please. Keep it brief though eh?

12 hours ago, spunko12345 said:

Can you run what "techni" means again please. Keep it brief though eh?

techni is a concept of truth / facts / knowledge, based on "technical" information. Numbers, statistics, measurements. For example, the knowledge on what temperature it was yesterday at 5 pm, is based on measurements.

this is merely "part" of what makes up reality. Thoughts, opinion, emotion, character, logic are all as much part of reality, as what temperature is was yesterday at 5 pm. You can not describe / discover these elements of reality through any method of measurement. The scientific method is inadequate in describing any of these aspects of reality.

what did I think yesterday at 5 pm? impossible for any scientist to know. to reach this knowledge, you need to tap into other sources of information that scientists are not interested in. you could ask my wife, who would base her insight on her feminine intuition. And you would pretty accurate information too.

All science is capable of, is measuring various kinds of natural parameters.

However, when a scientist makes conclusions, he is tapping from his own intuition / emotion / character. The moment he adds information to parameters, he did not discover through cold measurements, he is leaving the scientific field.

This is the reason why astronomers in the 14th century could make vastly different conclusions, from the same observations as modern people. They saw the same, but concluded something different. This is a nice example of the inherent limits of the scientific method.

When, then, you consider how even the measurements themselves, are corrupted by the quality of the measuring devices, and the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics, then you will agree with me that intuition / emotion / logic is as much a ground for proof, than your definition of facts

This post is as short as I was willing to make it, given the complex nature of the discussion. 

Edited by action
  • Haha 1

On 8/29/2022 at 10:39 AM, action said:

techni is a concept of truth / facts / knowledge, based on "technical" information. Numbers, statistics, measurements. For example, the knowledge on what temperature it was yesterday at 5 pm, is based on measurements.

this is merely "part" of what makes up reality. Thoughts, opinion, emotion, character, logic are all as much part of reality, as what temperature is was yesterday at 5 pm. You can not describe / discover these elements of reality through any method of measurement. The scientific method is inadequate in describing any of these aspects of reality.

what did I think yesterday at 5 pm? impossible for any scientist to know. to reach this knowledge, you need to tap into other sources of information that scientists are not interested in. you could ask my wife, who would base her insight on her feminine intuition. And you would pretty accurate information too.

All science is capable of, is measuring various kinds of natural parameters.

However, when a scientist makes conclusions, he is tapping from his own intuition / emotion / character. The moment he adds information to parameters, he did not discover through cold measurements, he is leaving the scientific field.

This is the reason why astronomers in the 14th century could make vastly different conclusions, from the same observations as modern people. They saw the same, but concluded something different. This is a nice example of the inherent limits of the scientific method.

When, then, you consider how even the measurements themselves, are corrupted by the quality of the measuring devices, and the uncertainty principle of quantum mechanics, then you will agree with me that intuition / emotion / logic is as much a ground for proof, than your definition of facts

This post is as short as I was willing to make it, given the complex nature of the discussion. 

I disagree

On 8/26/2022 at 4:56 PM, IrishgunnerII said:

Listened to a non GNR album I bought when it came out in 1999 yesterday. It’s Eminem's marshal matters LP and damn it it’s interesting to listen to at least a decade after I last listened to it. 

I like the Eminem show. Not listened to it for about 14/15 years. Will have to dig out

• 2 weeks later...

My 7 year old and her friend were playing at ours yesterday. They found an old phone and I just heard a voice from the other room saying “I’m Karen and I want to speak to the manager!”  😂 Apparently playing Karen is a thing for younguns these days.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Dazey said:

My 7 year old and her friend were playing at ours yesterday. They found an old phone and I just heard a voice from the other room saying “I’m Karen and I want to speak to the manager!”  😂 Apparently playing Karen is a thing for younguns these days.

How is your child seven, what even is time?

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Hey should I be concerned about Lake Taupo? :lol:

Not overly, at the moment. As I understand it (from a very superficial look), they've raised the alert level from 0 to 1 (out of a possible 5) because of a number of generally very minor earthquakes. It's basically "this volcano has gone from no notable activity to the lowest possible threshold of notable volcanic activity". There are plenty of volcanoes around the world experiencing internal seismicity at this sort of level on a regular basis that aren't a cause for concern. That's the current situation; I'm not saying that a big eruption at Lake Taupo is impossible (it's definitely possible), but I am saying that it's statistically improbable in the near future.

We're (the volcanological community) supposed to be having our first global assembly since 2017 at Taupo in January, but I won't be going, because I'm skint :lol:.

Since I was a kid I loved Halloween. Even before Covid not many kids would come around.  I still decorated up until last year and had bowls of candy but no one showed up. this year I just put Halloween flags outside my home. I always have candy, so if anyone shows up, that's cool, I'll be ready, but I doubt.

Living in Texas I realized they don't love Halloween the way kids do in New York. Sad. It's a really fun holiday.

On 10/11/2022 at 8:49 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Since I was a kid I loved Halloween. Even before Covid not many kids would come around.  I still decorated up until last year and had bowls of candy but no one showed up. this year I just put Halloween flags outside my home. I always have candy, so if anyone shows up, that's cool, I'll be ready, but I doubt.

Living in Texas I realized they don't love Halloween the way kids do in New York. Sad. It's a really fun holiday.

I'm taking my kids trick or treating for the 1st time this year. Am a tad excited myself

On 10/5/2022 at 6:48 PM, kruelty said:

It just hit me how I’ve lurked this forum ever since I was a pre teen, and only turned 20 a few weeks ago haha

Shouldn’t have spent so much time in my formative years reading the crap on here, now I’m a broken young man :lol:

Try serving almost 20 years here. I signed up when I was staying over at my grandparents' house when I was 15 - they had Internet access, which I didn't have at my family home. I've got several real-life friends whom I met here.  

• GNFNR 1

44 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

Try serving almost 20 years here. I signed up when I was staying over at my grandparents' house when I was 15 - they had Internet access, which I didn't have at my family home. I've got several real-life friends whom I met here.  

i feel old :( I've been here 17 years.....which when you compare to the history of the band, if 1986 was year i joined it would now be 2003. So i've been on this board longer than the band was active in it's prie and the 2001/2 years :(