[NEW ALBUM DISCUSSION THREAD] Gibson Launches Record Label, to Release Slash Album Next Year

Ralphelmo

2 hours ago, itsprettytiedup said:

Didn't know that was out there. 

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It’s so dumb they got a better sound from a straight live gig.
I only heard that one song but if every track ends up better listenable from that, they just threw away like ten thousand dollars on useless producer and recording when they could have just done that, and made that the album. 

Probably more than $10k but yeah I agree. Or the money would've been better spent on someone who could actually mix it properly (even if Dave still produced it). The thing is, whoever edited and mixed the live video (Gibson TV people) had plenty of time to make it look and sound really good, and they're going to make it the best that they can (they've done the same thing with the promotion for the album). The actual album sounds like a rushed job.

I think thats the weakest record Slash has ever made. After the first listen I'm not impressed at all. The solos on LTD were all well thought out and perfectly structured. On this album they don't feel spontaneous like they say but uninspired and rushed imo. I have to give it another run or two before watching the stream tomorrow but I expected better tbh. C'est La Vie and Fall Back To Earth were the most interesting ones I think. I hope the one or the other track will grow on me.

Maybe it was Elvis pushing Slash for better solos. Maybe this guy just isn't the right fit...

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Maybe it was Elvis pushing Slash for better solos.

He was, they've mentioned that in interviews before.

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

On this album they don't feel spontaneous like they say but uninspired and rushed imo.

Yeah I think most of them he just played whatever off the cuff and that's what went on the record. The drums feel the same way, like Fitzy is still figuring out what he wants to do in the song.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yeah I think most of them he just played whatever off the cuff and that's what went on the record. The drums feel the same way, like Fitzy is still figuring out what he wants to do in the song.

I'd wager the songs will evolve and change as the tour goes on an' they settle into the new material

Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

I'll definitely check out the live stream tomorrow but I'm not a fan of the sound of this record at all. C'est La Vie and Spirit Love were really underwhelming. Actions Speak Louder Than Words reminds me of another (non-SMKC) song, but I can't put my finger on what it is... that riff is super familiar though. Fall Back To Earth is alright, maybe the best song on the record after one listen. April Fool was ok too.

Just listened to the entire album. Not impressed with this record. There are some good songs let down by the shoddy production and somewhat sloppy solos. 

I mainly listen to SMKC songs for Slash's guitar work but the guitars in this album are too muffled and lost in the mix. Same goes for the vocals as well. Probably the worst SMKC record for me but I'm sure I'll dig a few songs after a few listens like I always do. 

Still haven't heard the album except for April Fool, but if the songs are good and only the sound is bad, I'm glad the livestream version will remove that problem entirely. I'm gonna wait it out for another 10 hours and let the livestream be the first listen of the album. I'm almost certain it will be a better listen. Since the album is just another, different live take, it's no different to listen to the livestream versions, except for better sound/mix, and possibly better/different solos by Slash, since he improvised all of them anyway.

Not gonna listen to a shittier mix and have that be the first impression again, I was so let down by April Fool compared to how it sounded in the Studio 60s version from the Making Of episodes.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Still haven't heard the album except for April Fool, but if the songs are good and only the sound is bad, I'm glad the livestream version will remove that problem entirely. I'm gonna wait it out for another 10 hours and let the livestream be the first listen of the album. I'm almost certain it will be a better listen. Since the album is just another, different live take, it's no different to listen to the livestream versions, except for better sound/mix, and possibly better/different solos by Slash, since he improvised all of them.

Not gonna listen to a shittier mix and have that be the first impression again, I was so let down by April Fool compared to how it sounded in the Studio 60s version from the Making Of episodes.

Since the reording of the livestream should represent the album and was recorded at the same time as the album, I'd think the solos Slash has done will sound more or less like the ones on the record. 

Don't expect too much :smiley-confused2:

Gave it a listen and I'm enjoying it for the most part. I really like Fall Back To Earth. C'est La Vie, April's Fools and Spirit Love are nice surprises. There were a couple others I liked but I got to give it another listen in the car and the livestream. The weakest part is definitely the mix. 

I'm probably going to get a copy off Target tomorrow since my deluxe edition got delayed and I want to blast in on Sunday when I do my doordash deliveries.

One thing for certain - its a good time to be a Slash fan.

Edited by Chuerta86
  • Like 1

Yes, Fill My World and Fall Back To Earth are beautiful. River Is Rising and April Fools are great rockers. There are some cool experimental tracks and a cool groove that I'm digging.

My favorite musician is releasing great music and promoting it through interviews, talk shows and a tour. The mix has a lot to be desired but the songs are there and we will have acces to them through the livestream with what sounds like a better mix.

• Like 1