[NEW ALBUM DISCUSSION THREAD] Gibson Launches Record Label, to Release Slash Album Next Year

Ralphelmo

Still looking forward to the stream in an hour but not as psyched as before the release.

All songs suffer from the bad production.

Actions Speak Louder Than Words seems to be a good track, caught me nodding a few times listening to it.

C'est La Vie is another good one, which deserves a better solo. But it's ok how it is.

I definitely like Fall Back To Earth.

Nothing there that I loved right away but I'll watch the show when its gonna be streamed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Free Bird said:

Still looking forward to the stream in an hour but not as psyched as before the release.

All songs suffer from the bad production.

Actions Speak Louder Than Words seems to be a good track, caught me nodding a few times listening to it.

C'est La Vie is another good one, which deserves a better solo. But it's ok how it is.

I definitely like Fall Back To Earth.

Nothing there that I loved right away but I'll watch the show when its gonna be streamed.

What don't people like about the production out of curiosity? I didn't notice anything, to me the songs just felt a little unmemorable. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Estranged Reality said:

What don't people like about the production out of curiosity? I didn't notice anything, to me the songs just felt a little unmemorable. 

They are.  But to me they're sounding muddy and I think Slash's guitar could have been louder or more highlighted. And as other mentioned, the drum sound on previous records was much better. All in all it doesn't sound good and that was always a factor of Slash records. They always sounded awesome imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Estranged Reality said:

Btw here are a couple pics I took of Slash on the last tour that I never shared here. I don't know if there was a photographer in front of me that explained why he kept looking my way, but it felt like he was looking right at me and posing for shots, it was kind it surreal. Being up close for that show was one of my favorite concert memories ever. They killed it. 

NaoEyyO.jpeg

Q7TvuwI.jpeg

rv2QQTR.jpeg

These are great pics, thanks for sharing.

1 hour ago, Estranged Reality said:

Listen to a couple songs from WOF or LTD then listen to 4, there's a pretty big difference (esp with the drums).

54 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

They are.  But to me they're sounding muddy and I think Slash's guitar could have been louder or more highlighted. And as other mentioned, the drum sound on previous records was much better. All in all it doesn't sound good and that was always a factor of Slash records. They always sounded awesome imo.

100%

As a drummer who does some recording for fun

this is one of the worst mixed albums in terms of drum quality I’ve heard in Awhile. The Tom’s on fills sound so flat and quick with hardly any tone. Which sucks cuz fitz is a great drummer and live he has an amazing sound. This just didn’t capture that sound 

listening on high Quality headphones was a bit better than my car speakers. Car speakers you lose slash way too often during certain parts. Even some solos weren’t mixed great cuz I lost him often at parts 

theres something really special about the riffs here though. Musically I think this has a lot of peaks and high points. But the mix, some vocals and some lyrics are a turn off. But I’ve had some of the riffs in my head all day. It’s class slash catchy riffs that seemed to be missing in LTD at times. This was a back to the roots classic rock album. Hence why we see Shades of zeppelin, Aerosmith, and GNR/Snakepit and VR. There’s some real hard rock riffs and music parts. It’s really kinda beautiful in and instrumental sense and I’m sure the livestream (I couldn’t watch) did some of these better justice 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Whats wrong with the melody in e.g. Whatever Gets You By, especially in chorus? You call it bland I call you deaf or ignorant, seriously dude.

Specifically in Whatever Gets You By? He's just following the guitar and basslines. He completely blends into both to the point where it wouldn't make a difference if he wasn't even singing at all. It's not like this is a new critique of Myles. His melodies and lyrics are very bland and generic. This particular album he sounds (and looks) completely bored out of his mind.

• Like 1

Does the deluxe contain bonus tracks ?

Must say it feels a bit short indeed, and a bit too much "live", some songs feel a little sloppy at times, Cest La Vie, Love Spirit and Fall Back To Earth stand out the most to me

Edited by merces

7 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

I disagree, It's the first time I honestly can say that Myles couldn't squeeze more from the material he got. And it's the first time he did some interesting work on melody (WGYB, ASLTW, April Fool, Fill My World, CLV) using his lower registers. After few listens what made this album average is lack of any good solos and terrible production.

'Whatever Gets You By' has obvious 'Rocket Queen' riff, maybe that's why it's my favorite so far.

'Actions Speaks Louder Than Words' is my second favorite. I knew it's gonna be really good just by the snippet on youtube 'making of' series. I don't think it's the Led Zep song mentioned above, I know this rhythm from some kind of a hit song, very popular one. Will figure it out...

'April Fool' my third favorite is pure Slash, too bad it has no memorable solo, because the song itself is one of the best SMKC ever did.

it's a party by Buckcherry.

Half way through the new album and imo it’s the worst mixed album of his solo stuff. Its like a trifle and nothing stands out and the drums sound like they were recorded under water which is a shame because Brent Fitz is a superb drummer.  Maybe they’ll sound better live but the album sounds poor.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Half way through the new album and imo it’s the worst mixed album of his solo stuff. Its like a trifle and nothing stands out and the drums sound like they were recorded under water which is a shame because Brent Fitz is a superb drummer.  Maybe they’ll sound better live but the album sounds poor.

After much comparing I've come to the conclusion that, except Whatever Gets You By, every single track sounds better from the Studio 60s performance. Download it from Youtube, splice it into individual tracks, and then you have good songs with a good mix. The way it should have been.

1 hour ago, Top-Hatted One said:

I just took a break from work and drove to Target to buy the cd and they had nothing! Now I gotta try Best Buy or Walmart tomorrow.

am I missing something? They stopped selling cds at box stores? Wtf!

The Target by me had the cd, but no one else had either the cd or vinyl. 

43 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Was the country guy out of his depth mixing a hard rock band?

2 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Whats wrong with the melody in e.g. Whatever Gets You By, especially in chorus? You call it bland I call you deaf or ignorant, seriously dude.

That song is currently my favorite, the chorus is super heavy.

2 hours ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

As a drummer who does some recording for fun

this is one of the worst mixed albums in terms of drum quality I’ve heard in Awhile. The Tom’s on fills sound so flat and quick with hardly any tone. Which sucks cuz fitz is a great drummer and live he has an amazing sound. This just didn’t capture that sound 

listening on high Quality headphones was a bit better than my car speakers. Car speakers you lose slash way too often during certain parts. Even some solos weren’t mixed great cuz I lost him often at parts 

theres something really special about the riffs here though. Musically I think this has a lot of peaks and high points. But the mix, some vocals and some lyrics are a turn off. But I’ve had some of the riffs in my head all day. It’s class slash catchy riffs that seemed to be missing in LTD at times. This was a back to the roots classic rock album. Hence why we see Shades of zeppelin, Aerosmith, and GNR/Snakepit and VR. There’s some real hard rock riffs and music parts. It’s really kinda beautiful in and instrumental sense and I’m sure the livestream (I couldn’t watch) did some of these better justice 

100% agree. Really disappointed with the drum sounds, the toms sound like he's hitting the cardboard box that my deluxe vinyl will come in.

And a good mix will translate well to all sound systems: car, laptop, different headphones, etc. I'm finding the same thing, it sounds different in the car than my desk speakers at work. Didn't have that problem with WOF and LTD.

2 hours ago, merces said:

Does the deluxe contain bonus tracks ?

Must say it feels a bit short indeed, and a bit too much "live", some songs feel a little sloppy at times, Cest La Vie, Love Spirit and Fall Back To Earth stand out the most to me

No bonus tracks.

• Like 1

Really puts into perspective Axl's songs; most notably, the latest releases of Absurd and HS.  They're honestly just much more interesting in my opinion.  After listening to SLASH, I had to cleanse my pallet by giving Absurd and HS a listen.  Yes, Slash can come up with some cool riffs.  But riffs alone are NOT SONGS.  Each of these songs is sooo formulaic it's nauseating.  At least with GNR we get something different and interesting...whether or not you like it is a different story.  I for one prefer it over this boring, generic rock.  

I mean, if you're going to go down the generic or formulaic rock avenue, at least have some balls and sleaze!  Totally lacking in Slash's band.

• Like 1