GNR vs SMKC - Who’s Better Musically Live

3 hours ago, felixGNR said:

lol the audacity to mix  Robin  Fink with Slash/Bucket.  Wasn't  exciting seeing Ashba injecting personality into CD songs? (everybody likes to shit on the guy, but he is a bigger name than fink, and is not limited/or used as a live player in his other bands anf the better songwriter)

absolutly nothing special about him, just an ok ish.. player. not one to be remembered,  except for Axl most loyal fans.

Does anybody remember who replaced Joe Perry in Aerosmith?  yeah kind of the same situation here

I really hope Axl/Slash/Duff can get a good record out and  get CD songs off the setlist.

yes, the audacity to "mix" Robin with Slash and Bucket but you defend DJ's musical abilities. To each his own.

Jimmy Crespo replaced Joe Perry in Aerosmith and he worked with a lot of talented musicians and is a good guitar player. Way better than DJ imo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

There is no way Bucket's Nightrain solo is anything close to an "abomination". But I guess you can't expect Myles Kennedy fans to have decent taste.

In my ears it is. 

What BH plays is freaking awesome from a technical point of view, that's undeniable. But it's just not the right fit in my opinion. It's too sterile and it lacks the passion that's needed for a song like Nightrain. It's technically perfect, but it's also incongruous.

It's totally legitimate to like BH's Nightrain solo more than the original for what it is, but whoever prefers it over Slash's, doesn't "feel" GNR and what they stood for IMO.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

There is no way Bucket's Nightrain solo is anything close to an "abomination". But I guess you can't expect Myles Kennedy fans to have decent taste.

Being a fan of a 8 piece circus with Mickey fronting it is an example of having good taste in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Myles is one of those guys who's obviously unique and talented but plays it too safe. A lot of his melodies are repetitive and bland, at this point you know exactly what to expect from him. I'm pretty sure one album with either Chris Cornell or Lemmy would've been better than all SMKC albums combined. Andrew Stockdale or M Shadows would've been good choices too, or someone like Corey Taylor, Eric Nally (Foxy Shazam), Jon Harvey (Monster Truck), Baz, etc.

Not including live albums, Living The Dream is the only Slash album I don't own. I want SMKC to be better than a generic rock band. I don't have high expectations for 4 though.

Agreed. And yes, a whole album with Lemmy would have been great, no doubt. Motörslash. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Agreed. And yes, a whole album with Lemmy would have been great, no doubt. Motörslash. 

There are many many possible collaborations that would make sense and were far more interesting than Myles but after more than 10 years of the Conspirators we have to accept that Slash's creative output will be performed by Myles. It would be totally ok when GNR were releasing music on a regular basis too ;)

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

There are many many possible collaborations that would make sense and were far more interesting than Myles but after more than 10 years of the Conspirators we have to accept that Slash's creative output will be performed by Myles. It would be totally ok when GNR were releasing music on a regular basis too ;)

Exactly. We all know the ideal collaborator for Slash is Axl. Sadly though Axl has such great artistic integrity that he refuses to release his art so I guess we’re stuck with Myles who according to this forum is somehow a lesser artist than Axl despite all the evidence of the last 30 years to the contrary… 🙄

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

He tries to prove his point by comparing the fanbase of Alter Bridge with the fanbase of GNR :lol:

No I didn't. I compared with Creed. A Nu Metal band with an Eddie Vedder wannabe that was 100 times bigger than Alter Bridge ever was and probably ever will be! :lol:

12 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

No I didn't. I compared with Creed. A Nu Metal band with an Eddie Vedder wannabe that was 100 times bigger than Alter Bridge ever was and probably ever will be! :lol:

But Alter Bridge is an incredible band and a critical darling unlike Creed. In the UK and Europe Alter Bridge is a much bigger band than Creed was.

• Like 2

Alter Bridge plays arenas in the UK and some parts im Europe. Nobody gave a single shit about Creed back then, I think that only Higher was somewhat of a hit

To add to that. I alsp agree that Myles sometimes plays really safe with Slash in the studio and I'd really love if he didn't do that cause he's amazing with AB and Solo and with Slash on stage

49 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

Alter Bridge plays arenas in the UK and some parts im Europe. Nobody gave a single shit about Creed back then, I think that only Higher was somewhat of a hit

I'm not a Creed fan but say that nobody gave a shit about a band that sold 53 million albuns worldwide is laughable

• Like 1

30 of which were sold in States, I can't recall any Creed songs in the radio neither in late 90's or early 2000's, besides Higher and With Arms Wide Open of course. Their music was basically pop, compared to Alter Bridge, even Mark is aware of that, band knew they were limiting their possibilities. Stapp is now barely filling clubs dude while Tremonti sells out small arenas in Europe. Limp Bizkit was way bigger in EU back then.

Edited by Ralphelmo

3 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

30 of which were sold in States, I can't recall any Creed songs in the radio neither in late 90's or early 2000's, besides Higher and With Arms Wide Open of course. 

They played "My Own Prison" and "Torn" on the radio all the time in my area back then.  Those songs were the reason I bought the CD back in the day.  There were others too but I don't remeber them like those two.. 

It's very likely you did, but you don't live in Europe, don't you? :) 

Musically Creed compared to this is like Mac 'N Cheese compared to Beef Wellington... Ofc it may be tasty, but you won't let everybody know you cooked this :P It's really interesting how much these guys were holding back their skills in Creed.

12 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

They played "My Own Prison" and "Torn" on the radio all the time in my area back then.  Those songs were the reason I bought the CD back in the day.  There were others too but I don't remeber them like those two.. 

From the debut album, there was also "What's This Life For" (closed out Halloween H20), and "One", an anti-affirmative action song.

57 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

30 of which were sold in States, I can't recall any Creed songs in the radio neither in late 90's or early 2000's, besides Higher and With Arms Wide Open of course. Their music was basically pop, compared to Alter Bridge, even Mark is aware of that, band knew they were limiting their possibilities. Stapp is now barely filling clubs dude while Tremonti sells out small arenas in Europe. Limp Bizkit was way bigger in EU back then.

Appetite sold 30 millions worldwide. 18 millions in the US

As percentages goes Creed sold 52% of their records in the Us and 48% worldwide

Appetite sold 60% in the US . A bigger percentage than Creed. So by your parameters Appetite wasnt a big hit in Europe (meaning UK) than it was in the US.

And to be clear, I dont care about Tremonti, Stapp or the Alter Bridge/Creed rivalry.

Creed was a bigger band than Alter Bridge is and probably ever will be.

But if say Slash was doin theaters with Myles while Axl was touring arenas you'll probably say a different opinion of what success is.

Slash was selling out arenas for years dude. And considering Axl touring arenas with GUNS N ROSES as a success while he should be touring stadiums is ridiculous.

"Creed was a bigger band than Alter Bridge is and probably ever will be." so was backstreet boys, I cant get your point.

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ralphelmo said:

Slash was selling out arenas for years dude. And considering Axl touring arenas with GUNS N ROSES as a success while he should be touring stadiums is ridiculous.

SMKC played arenas in some markets, just like GNR played stadiums in some markets before the reunion. :rolleyes:

Why should Axl have been touring stadiums though? By the Skin N Bones tour they were an arena act... why is it ridiculous that nuGNR was also an arena-level band?

Leading up to the reunion, at least in North America, GNR and SMKC were both theatre-level bands. :shrugs:

• Like 2