Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

5 hours ago, action said:

people who reference studies: do these people even have an opinion, or are they just competent deliverers of other people's opinions?

Studies aren’t usually opinion. They contain information by which people can use to formulate and shape their opinions. 

Saw on CNN that Dr. Fauci feels confident that a vaccine will be out by the end of the year or early next year. I doubt it'll be out by November no matter what Trump thinks.

Then the fun will begin to see who gets it first and who will actually want it?

Saw Trump in Michigan today with his dumb ass supporters. I say dumb ass because one guy without a mask said the virus is a hoax. Tell that to the 190,000 people who are dead and another guy was holding his mask saying that this is supposed to protect me. And on and on. If being a Trump supporter meant you can't get the virus, sign me up! What a bunch of morons and Trump never wears a mask anymore either. Is this virus afraid to infect him?

A 28 year old teacher died this week from the corona virus. How sad is this?

2 minutes ago, downzy said:

Studies aren’t usually opinion. They contain information by which people can use to formulate and shape their opinions. 

most scientific studies I have seen, first detail the research method, the results, and then an interpretation of the results

Another example, in law, it's a bit more complicated as you can't really do experiments there to test a juridical stance, you check the jurisprudence and literature, which may not always be on the same page, and then you compile this and try to formulate a conclusion.

In both cases, I see the conclusion as the mark, the opinion of the author. But I chose not to take this for granted, I like to form my own conclusions.

17 minutes ago, action said:

most scientific studies I have seen, first detail the research method, the results, and then an interpretation of the results

Most studies don’t interpret their findings but describe or summarize their findings.  

Another example, in law, it's a bit more complicated as you can't really do experiments there to test a juridical stance, you check the jurisprudence and literature, which may not always be on the same page, and then you compile this and try to formulate a conclusion.

You’re confusing arguments with studies. Jurisprudence is theoretical and based on argument and logic.

In both cases, I see the conclusion as the mark, the opinion of the author. But I chose not to take this for granted, I like to form my own conclusions.

Nobody says you shouldn’t. But too often you seem to demonstrate skepticism, if not outright cynicism, to anything tied to an authority or expert on most given subjects. You seem to perceive your own intuition superior to whatever recommended by experts who have spend their adult lives studying the topic at hand. 

10 minutes ago, downzy said:

Nobody says you shouldn’t. But too often you seem to demonstrate skepticism, if not outright cynicism, to anything tied to an authority or expert on most given subjects. You seem to perceive your own intuition superior to whatever recommended by experts who have spend their adult lives studying the topic at hand. 

your perception is correct. I do trust my own intuition over pretty much everything. But likewise, I have spend my entire life living based on that concept, and I'm doing fine in life. Everyone around me (people who don't really know me, that is) seems to think otherwise.

As for these experts, they need to bring bread on the table. if you make money being an expert, you are part of the economy, your expertise becomes valuable, you are selling your expertise, but when someone is paying for your expertise, I think you will understand that this is where my scepticism kicks in.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I read The Sun or What Car...thats all they have :lol: 

that, and magazines full of handsome men with greasy hair

Edited by action

NHS testing is shambolic. My sister's family came down with a flu of some sort Monday and still haven't received test kits and it is now Saturday* (NB., these kits would then have to be collected, returned to laboratory and analysed)!

Maybe the UK strategy is to wait for the flu to naturally dissipate in households and keep people who've had kung flu outside the infection statistics? 

*And school/class where my nephew almost certainly contracted flu is still meeting during this period! Thus is ''track and trace''.

Edited by DieselDaisy

39 minutes ago, Popcorn crew said:

Yes there is lots of cases of corona in the world but not such deaths as from other flues.

Annually about 320,000 people die globally from the flu with very little done to prevent deaths, so far 900,000 people have died from COVID-19 with substantial measures to prevent additional deaths. So, no.

those numbers are staggering...  no one is wrong here but let's keep these stats under scrutiny until find out how much of these are truely "excess deaths" also argument can be made flipside is also important to consider => toll pandemy is causing by other means (suicides + job losses + businesses going under + isolation + kids not going to school + effects to  different age groups ... and list goes on and on...)

planet is sick with climate change (pollution deforestation & glaciers melting etx ; this causing havoc to ocean currents; this causing wild temperature swings -> hurricanes/dry spells/fires/extreme temperatures cold/hot...)  + human overpopulation

Is planet/nature in auto-defence mode ?  it's apparently overwhelmed by human activity... or are these just cycles that occur every 10,000+ years?

world pop is almost 8,000,000,000.

If U do a little digging here are more numbers...

It took over 2 million years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion.

277px-Human_population_since_1800.png

anyways just saying... all human loss is a tragedy

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MikeD said:

those numbers are staggering...  no one is wrong here but let's keep these stats under scrutiny until find out how much of these are truely "excess deaths" also argument can be made flipside is also important to consider => toll pandemy is causing by other means (suicides + job losses + businesses going under + isolation + kids not going to school + effects to  different age groups ... and list goes on and on...)

planet is sick with climate change (pollution deforestation & glaciers melting etx ; this causing havoc to ocean currents; this causing wild temperature swings -> hurricanes/dry spells/fires/extreme temperatures cold/hot...)  + human overpopulation

Is planet/nature in auto-defence mode ?  it's apparently overwhelmed by human activity... or are these just cycles that occur every 10,000+ years?

world pop is almost 8,000,000,000.

If U do a little digging here are more numbers...

It took over 2 million years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion.

277px-Human_population_since_1800.png

anyways just saying... all human loss is a tragedy

That was my point but you write it much more better. 

And all I wanna say if you look thru this or any world crisis there is lots of victimes but also there are few winners. So I was just wandering ehoxate they in this covid situation.

15 hours ago, action said:

As for these experts, they need to bring bread on the table. if you make money being an expert, you are part of the economy, your expertise becomes valuable, you are selling your expertise, but when someone is paying for your expertise, I think you will understand that this is where my scepticism kicks in.

By that logic you should be sceptic of every paid profession.

If you make money baking bread, you are part of the economy. You are selling your expertise. So by your logic you don't trust that bread and thinks it's a shoe.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ehs1vzqWAAA5P93?format=jpg&name=small

It's a decent attempt at showing people not to "panic" as much over the virus since most of the other information slants the "other way".

The truth is (as far as we can tell);

- The actually mortality rate is around 1-2%     https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality  (Higher than that in less developed countries) 

- It's likely they are using total population vs mortality rate for Covid but are not using that same ratio for the other viruses (classic misinformation propaganda).

- Even at a mortality rate of only 1% Covid is 1000% (10x) more deadly than the common flu.

- What makes it much worse than (just about all other viruses mentioned) is that it is much easier to spread through airborne molecules (That's why we wear masks ;) ) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

It's a decent attempt at showing people not to "panic" as much over the virus since most of the other information slants the "other way".

The truth is (as far as we can tell);

- The actually mortality rate is around 1-2%     https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality  (Higher than that in less developed countries) 

- It's likely they are using total population vs mortality rate for Covid but are not using that same ratio for the other viruses (classic misinformation propaganda).

- Even at a mortality rate of only 1% Covid is 1000% (10x) more deadly than the common flu.

- What makes it much worse than (just about all other viruses mentioned) is that it is much easier to spread through airborne molecules (That's why we wear masks ;) ) 

The other problem with this kind of analysis is that it fails to consider under reporting of deaths.

It will likely take years to determine the virus’s true CFR.  

• Like 1