Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

so many trials going on right now. Seems promising if people respond well and don't have weird side effects.

Dr. Fauci says maybe a vaccine by the end of the year, but most likely early next year. It seems such a long way away from now.

It's like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop every damn day.

Now doctors are saying people that eat in restaurants are more likely to get the virus. I haven't gone to a restaurant since this began.

If my brother goes out, he usually eats outside. But who the hell knows?

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

NHS testing is shambolic. My sister's family came down with a flu of some sort Monday and still haven't received test kits and it is now Saturday* (NB., these kits would then have to be collected, returned to laboratory and analysed)!

Maybe the UK strategy is to wait for the flu to naturally dissipate in households and keep people who've had kung flu outside the infection statistics? 

*And school/class where my nephew almost certainly contracted flu is still meeting during this period! Thus is ''track and trace''.

Further on this, she was told today that ''if you don't get one in around six days, you're probably not getting one''! So my nephew may/may not have (nobody is any the wiser) picked up kung flu in school, the school being none the wiser, and nobody knows anything basically.

This is suppose to be Britain's war against corona, ''test and trace'', governmental promises, ''200,000 plus tests per day'' etc etc. From the experiences of one family in one obscure town, it is an utter shambles!

27 new cases announced yesterday, here. A majority under age 30. And everyday these high numbers keep coming out, Im thinking to myself "oh, that one idiot must be one of them, and that women from the store." Because so many people are conducting themselves in a manner that all but gaurantees exposure. There seems to be a consensus among fools that the pandemic is over. Its bizarre to observe.

Also, over in Montreal (Which has infection rates that make lists of worst hit areas iirc) they had a huge anti-mask rally yesterday. All the US conspiracy stuff. Saw a sign that read "No mask. No vaccine. No 5G" :facepalm:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, soon said:

27 new cases announced yesterday, here. A majority under age 30. And everyday these high numbers keep coming out, Im thinking to myself "oh, that one idiot must be one of them, and that women from the store." Because so many people are conducting themselves in a manner that all but gaurantees exposure. There seems to be a consensus among fools that the pandemic is over. Its bizarre to observe.

Also, over in Montreal (Which has infection rates that make lists of worst hit areas iirc) they had a huge anti-mask rally yesterday. All the US conspiracy stuff. Saw a sign that read "No mask. No vaccine. No 5G" :facepalm:

This you said would be suitable sadly to my own country....:shrugs:

• Sad 1

Dr. Fauci said we will have a bad fall and winter. How much worse can it get?

If some people don't wear masks and distance and stop believing this virus is a hoax, it won't ever go away.

The doctors say we might get back to normal late next year. I don't think we will ever be normal again. This corona virus is going to be worse than the flu because it's not restricted to one season. It'll be here I believe for the rest of the earth's days. We just have to continue to do what's right and hope a vaccine works or maybe someone will find a cure?

But as for being normal again, I doubt it. It'll be a new normal for all of us from now on.

They're continuing to open more and more businesses here in Michigan. Life is really feeling a lot more normal. We're all wearing masks and distancing, but other than that, everything feels normal. My son has about 8 more weeks on virtual learning scheduled, then we'll see if he goes back to in person. He's handling it really well, so I'm good with whatever happens with that. 

On 9/12/2020 at 6:35 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Further on this, she was told today that ''if you don't get one in around six days, you're probably not getting one''! So my nephew may/may not have (nobody is any the wiser) picked up kung flu in school, the school being none the wiser, and nobody knows anything basically.

This is suppose to be Britain's war against corona, ''test and trace'', governmental promises, ''200,000 plus tests per day'' etc etc. From the experiences of one family in one obscure town, it is an utter shambles!

I get a Covid test every Thursday morning at work but we haven’t had any results back for the last three weeks now.

It’s a shambles all over the UK it would seem and a huge waste of testing kits. 

4 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I get a Covid test every Thursday morning at work but we haven’t had any results back for the last three weeks now.

It’s a shambles all over the UK it would seem and a huge waste of testing kits. 

The latest on this is they were told that, ''if they don't receive kit in six days, it is not coming''. Six days have lapsed.

So basically my nephew may/may not have contracted corona from a class which may/may not have corona in a school which may/may not have corona. Nobody basically knows anything.

Also, If it was corona it will inherently become a corona infection case which didn't become a stat. You can assume the stats are utter bollocks if this experience is replicated across the country.

Edited by DieselDaisy

The change in mortality is astounding. Look at the graphs for France:

uten_n99.png

uten_100.png

A huge increase in new cases that tops what they had in March/April yet not a recognizable increase in deaths. 

Assuming that the virus hasn't changed, this shows what shielding of the vulnerable and better treatment protocols at hospitals can do.

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The change in mortality is astounding. Look at the graphs for France:

uten_n99.png

uten_100.png

A huge increase in new cases that tops what they had in March/April yet not a recognizable increase in deaths. 

Assuming that the virus hasn't changed, this shows what shielding of the vulnerable and better treatment protocols at hospitals can do.

I suspect that's part of the reason but if I were to speculate I'd suggest that testing rates are as much a contributory factor in many instances. If you look at countries who did well with testing in the early days like South Korea for instance you see that they do have strong positive correlation re cases to deaths both then and now.

yOjRYke.jpg  

Whereas in the UK where early testing was an utter shambles there appears to be very little in the way of cause and effect.

ksvVcNS.jpg

This is of course until you consider the fact that during the peak earlier this year we were only testing people who were admitted to hospital. Thus it would be less disingenuous to compare hospital admissions from then and now which based on the government data looks like this.

V8pC1yk.jpg 

Which seems to correlate with the mortality data much more closely hence. 

Z3huamK.jpg

Based on the above I just think that the figures we're seeing now are simply much closer to the actual infection rates. Infection rates were probably under-reported by about 10:1 at the peak with more like 50,000 daily cases than the 5,000 in the figures.

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I suspect that's part of the reason but if I were to speculate I'd suggest that testing rates are as much a contributory factor in many instances. If you look at countries who did well with testing in the early days like South Korea for instance you see that they do have strong positive correlation re cases to deaths both then and now.

yOjRYke.jpg  

Whereas in the UK where early testing was an utter shambles there appears to be very little in the way of cause and effect.

ksvVcNS.jpg

This is of course until you consider the fact that during the peak earlier this year we were only testing people who were admitted to hospital. Thus it would be less disingenuous to compare hospital admissions from then and now which based on the government data looks like this.

V8pC1yk.jpg 

Which seems to correlate with the mortality data much more closely hence. 

Z3huamK.jpg

Based on the above I just think that the figures we're seeing now are simply much closer to the actual infection rates. Infection rates were probably under-reported by about 10:1 at the people with more like 50,000 daily cases than the 5,000 in the figures.

This makes a lot of sense. Although some countries who have had good testing throughout also report lower mortalities, so likely a combination of these causes.

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

This makes a lot of sense. Although some countries who have had good testing throughout also report lower mortalities, so likely a combination of these causes.

Oh, I'm sure that is the case. I just think that more accurate infection figures due to testing seems to be overlooked in much of the media reporting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gavin82 said:

Israel confirms its 1st country in the world too re impose a FULL nation wide lock down starting this wk.

India again confirm well over 90,000 new cases in last 24hr 

Holy shit. I've heard rumors that second lock downs might start happening, but I didn't know some were already taking effect. 

Not a surprise but the states who won't mandate wearing masks have their number of virus patients going up.

Did you see the Trump rally in Nevada? Unreal. Many more people will get the virus after last night. How is it this virus isn't getting Trump? We now know it's in the air and he never wears a mask? WTF?

37 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Holy shit. I've heard rumors that second lock downs might start happening, but I didn't know some were already taking effect. 

It's like no matter what you do, this virus just sits and waits for things to let us and there it is again. We can't win against this virus unless we find a cure or a vaccine, but who knows even then? I think this virus will be with us for a very long time to come. It's like nothing we've ever had happen before. And now with flu season coming up, I can't imagine what will happen then?