Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

23 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Someone explain me something, why is it infection rates are waaaay up but like, death rates are kinda minimal?  

Already discussed. Likely due to a combination of more testing now which inflates the numbers of infected compared to back in March/April (what we see now is closer to the real numbers of cases whereas back in March/April we tested much fewer and hence the ratio infected/death was distorted), better protection of vulnerable population groups (harder to visit weak and old people at nursing homes etc), and better treatments at hospitals (more knowledge on how to treat very ill patients).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Already discussed. Likely due to a combination of more testing now which inflates the numbers of infected compared to back in March/April (what we see now is closer to the real numbers of cases whereas back in March/April we tested much fewer and hence the ratio infected/death was distorted), better protection of vulnerable population groups (harder to visit weak and old people at nursing homes etc), and better treatments at hospitals (more knowledge on how to treat very ill patients).

So like...if thats the case and people are getting infected but basically we're handling it now, to a point where it ain't deadly/fatal as much as before, why all the lockdown stuff?

33 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Someone explain me something, why is it infection rates are waaaay up but like, death rates are kinda minimal?  

two possible scenarios, really:

option 1: the bottom weak segment of the population, with funky immune systems probably already died.

I think what is left now, are people with better immune systems.

there really is no other way to explain the distorted infection / death ratio compared to the first wave.

option 2: aliens

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

So like...if thats the case and people are getting infected but basically we're handling it now, to a point where it ain't deadly/fatal as much as before, why all the lockdown stuff?

If most of the reason why less people are dying now is due to us being better at treating infected people and also better at secluding those most vulnerable, then you might argue that we can go easier on restrictions than before. Although there is still a chance of dying if you get it, and if we don't social distance the number of sick people increase and the likelihood of getting cases at nursing homes and so on increases too, which would be terrible. But if the main reason for the higher infected/death ratio is due to us testing more, it basically tells us that we have to be really careful because if we don't curb this new wave/outbreak then we will soon get into the same situation as we did in March/April with lots of deaths. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

same reason as to why people use corona as an excuse for the most diverse of issues. I'm late with this paper, because of corona. The plumber doesn't have time to repair your pipes,  because of corona etc.

on a political level, corona is clearly used as an excuse to implement dictatorship.

29 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Pretty much. As Souly said, we probably had ten times the number of infections back in March/April than were being reported. We were only testing people who were admitted to hospitals so they were already pretty sick by that point and hence more likely to die. 

26 minutes ago, action said:

same reason as to why people use corona as an excuse for the most diverse of issues. I'm late with this paper, because of corona. The plumber doesn't have time to repair your pipes,  because of corona etc.

on a political level, corona is clearly used as an excuse to implement dictatorship.

At least it hasn't prevented you from talking bollocks eh? :lol: 

93 new daily cases reported here yesterday. That’s the highest number we’ve seen the entire pandemic.

50 school kids have tested positive since schools reopened.  Many of those cases are traced to kid to kid transmission at school :( 

New measures announced later today. That will add to the other newer actions recently taken, such as increased restrictions on gathering sizes, ticketing those not wearing masks and a $5000/day fine for anyone whose supposed to be in quarantine (and it’s a cautious list of reasons to quarantine).

For instance, if someone simply gets tested, they are required to quarantine for 14 days or until they receive results. The $5000/day fine applies to those who dont comply. I think this is very telling that more people are getting tested despite this mandatory quarantine for doing so. Because that could be seen as a deterrent to getting tested.

Edited by soon

The R number in Norway is now above 1. People are advised to use facemasks on public transportation in Oslo. The government has said we will probably not vaccinate children when a vaccine is ready, since they don't really get sick. Of those who have died in Norway (200 or so), 9/10 had some other serious medical condition. Except for us having to drive the kids to school and that we don't go out to eat and drink anymore, our personal lives are pretty much the same as before. Professionally I suffer from not being able to attend conferences and meet with customers/collaborators.

CNN had a meeting today of some government officials talking to a doctor about the virus and a possible vaccine. He said things were going well, but they would not release any vaccine that they wouldn't take themselves or give it to their family members, no matter who says it. Meaning, Trump.

He was the doctor for the FDA. Anyway, more sick and more dying and Trump continues to say it's only affecting the old and sick. Even if this virus just affected the old and sick, that could be a family member or a dear friend. No one should get this virus nor should they suffer and die from it.

I keep hearing more patients getting brain injuries due to this virus, so it seems to attack any organ in our bodies. This is some scary shit. Also for many who have gotten over the virus, their health isn't the same after it. That's what scares me the most. Being in a coma for days and then still not feeling totally okay.

6 hours ago, soon said:

93 new daily cases reported here yesterday. That’s the highest number we’ve seen the entire pandemic.

50 school kids have tested positive since schools reopened.  Many of those cases are traced to kid to kid transmission at school :( 

New measures announced later today. That will add to the other newer actions recently taken, such as increased restrictions on gathering sizes, ticketing those not wearing masks and a $5000/day fine for anyone whose supposed to be in quarantine (and it’s a cautious list of reasons to quarantine).

For instance, if someone simply gets tested, they are required to quarantine for 14 days or until they receive results. The $5000/day fine applies to those who dont comply. I think this is very telling that more people are getting tested despite this mandatory quarantine for doing so. Because that could be seen as a deterrent to getting tested.

Dr. Fauci says fall will be bad. I honestly, don't think this virus will ease up any without a cure or a vaccine. It's going to be a hit or miss for some of us. The cdc doctor says by December 90% of Americans will have the virus. Such great news! OMG!

Meanwhile, fires are still raging and floods too. The world is still struggling with the virus too. 

And here come the holidays.

39 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The cdc doctor says by December 90% of Americans will have the virus.

That is essentially impossible. I am not downplaying the pandemic, but even if things got a LOT worse than they have been, we are not even remotely close to reaching that number of infections. Being scared is normal, being responsible is better, but this is nonsense 

EDIT- That is also not what he said, he said 90% of the population is still most likely susceptible to the virus.

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Whilst running on Monday I carried with me a single usage bottle of water, which went straight in a standard (non-recyclable) bin mid-way. I was thinking of you at the time.

You're so edgy.

1 minute ago, Ace Nova said:

We recycle plastic bottles in the U.S.A.   (Most areas that I've lived in, anyway). 

Umm... yep, Im aware that you have recycling programs.  ???

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

A '70s comedy here, a plastic bottle there: it is the small acts of rebellion that keep one sane.

Your claim doesn't hold up to scrutiny if we use you as a case study. :P

Also, I cant think of anything less rebellious nor anything more average and pedestrian than consuming plastic bottled water. :lol:

13 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

For us during our first and continued wave when we did our one and only lockdown in March....it was to protect our loved ones of course, but also to keep our healthcare capacity in check. Our local hospitals only have so much PPE and healthcare professionals to take care of the sick. We are still watching that closely. We only have so many ICU beds and ventilators. Our hospitals are seeing more COVID cases as of late..so while deaths may not be as high, not the same could be said for hospitalizations.

The app apparently only works on new phones (mine is six years old). Who am I kidding? I wouldn't have downloaded it anyway haha!

PS

In Scotland you are not to visit another household. Students cannot visit home, and cannot enter pubs apparently. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

UK Gov just added 4 NEW destinations too the RED list ull now have too self isolate if you come from 

Denmark

Iceland 

Slovakia

Curacao which is in the Caribbean 

This comes in too play this wknd from 4am Sat 

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

6000 and something cases now, so whats up, we locking down again or what, how many does a lockdown require?

Irs the biggest rise in numbers too date since UK tests started