Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

16 hours ago, RussTCB said:

One of my dear friends is having her nursing unit converted into a Covid unit again. I feel awful for her :(

Damn the nurses can't seem to get a break. This virus does whatever it wants to and just when you think it might slow down, around it comes again. I hope your friend stays safe.  And thank her for doing her job and caring for the covid patients.

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

We're at the pharmacy getting our boosters right now. I had next to no side effects from the previous shots so I'm hoping this one goes the same way. If not, I work from home anyway so I can take it fairly easy if I do have symptoms. 

The only side effect my mom had was her arm hurt the next day. I get mine in a few weeks. Hopefully, we'll all be okay. 

My daughter got her first covid shot on Thursday and didn't feel a thing. I hope she's okay after the second shot. 

17 hours ago, RussTCB said:

We're at the pharmacy getting our boosters right now. I had next to no side effects from the previous shots so I'm hoping this one goes the same way. If not, I work from home anyway so I can take it fairly easy if I do have symptoms. 

Which 1 are you getting over there ?? 

On 11/19/2021 at 6:03 AM, downzy said:

A new study published in the British Medical Journal reveals a 53 percent reduction in infections when people wore masks:

https://www.bmj.com/content/375/bmj-2021-068302

Damn, talk about about loads of possible spurios variables and low validity. The authors admits this themselves in the actual study. 

Demonstrations in Austria after mandated Covid-19 vaccines. 40-100.000 anti-vaxxers are marching in Vienna. The government felt this was required because the vaccine uptake has been too low and they have too many hospitalizations. 

I know I have been involved in many discussions on this, but I still don't understand why people would not want to take a vaccine that is demonstrably good for them. I just can't wrap my head around it. Anti-vaxxers used to be a fairly small group of people generally laughed at, but as soon as we all are asked to vaccinate ourselves, and it is not only about vaccines for children, it turns out many more people these irrational beliefs. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Demonstrations in Austria after mandated Covid-19 vaccines. 40-100.000 anti-vaxxers are marching in Vienna. The government felt this was required because the vaccine uptake has been too low and they have too many hospitalizations. 

I know I have been involved in many discussions on this, but I still don't understand why people would not want to take a vaccine that is demonstrably good for them. I just can't wrap my head around it. Anti-vaxxers used to be a fairly small group of people generally laughed at, but as soon as we all are asked to vaccinate ourselves, and it is not only about vaccines for children, it turns out many more people these irrational beliefs. 

They are going to do a lot more than march if they keep pushing.

It is not demonstrably good for you and this fact is being suppressed, which is why you don't know about it. Those of us who do know will go down fighting before this poison is injected into us.

I don't see what is irrational with doubting companies that have put out bad product before and lied about it. This vaccine isn't even approved. They have no clue what will happen long term. Or at least, we don't.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LAGuns87 said:

They are going to do a lot more than march if they keep pushing.

It is not demonstrably good for you and this fact is being suppressed, which is why you don't know about it. Those of us who do know will go down fighting before this poison is injected into us.

I don't see what is irrational with doubting companies that have put out bad product before and lied about it. This vaccine isn't even approved. They have no clue what will happen long term. Or at least, we don't.

What fact is being suppressed? The vaccines have gone through clinical trials and shown to protect against Covid-19 with few side effects. Are you going to point to flaws in the clinical trials experiments, data analysis, or conclusions? 

There is nothing irrational in doubting companies that frequently lie to us. But you don't need to trust the companies, you can trust the science (clinical trials results are peer-reviewed). 

Believing these vaccines are not effective and not as safe as claimed, despite the scientific evidence we have, is irrational. You are deliberately embracing theories that make little sense. 

Edited by SoulMonster

In a lot of European countries there have been protests. This week massive protests over here in many cities. Today in Belgium. We are in semi-lockdown at the moment, but I don't think it's making much difference. Some experts want to close schools again.

29 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What fact is being suppressed? The vaccines have gone through clinical trials and shown to protect against Covid-19 with few side effects. Are you going to point to flaws in the clinical trials experiments, data analysis, or conclusions? 

There is nothing irrational in doubting companies that frequently lie to us. But you don't need to trust the companies, you can trust the science (clinical trials results are peer-reviewed). 

Believing these vaccines are not effective and not as safe as claimed, despite the scientific evidence we have, is irrational. You are deliberately embracing theories that make little sense. 

It takes 10 years to do proper trials. This was rolled out in 1 and the amount of deaths and side effects do not look promising. You are already 1/50 at risk for a side effect and that's the very lowball number. Could easily be 1/25 or even 1/10. My father was already hospitalized and is suffering constant headaches 6 months and counting. I should take this shot for a disease I already had? Forget about it! 

21 minutes ago, LAGuns87 said:

It takes 10 years to do proper trials. This was rolled out in 1 and the amount of deaths and side effects do not look promising. You are already 1/50 at risk for a side effect and that's the very lowball number. Could easily be 1/25 or even 1/10. My father was already hospitalized and is suffering constant headaches 6 months and counting. I should take this shot for a disease I already had? Forget about it! 

No, it doesn't take 10 years to do proper trials. The typical period of drug development, including pre-clinical work, takes 8-10 years, but there is no reason this cannot be done quicker. The majority of the time is devoted to do the trials in a sequential fashion, communicating with regulatory bodies, and fund raising. With the development of the Covid-19 vaccines, thing were done in parallel, FDA and EMA accepted to analyse results continuously, and funds were there. What is important to note: The clinical experiments themselves were not shortened, and in fact they were much more expansive than what is usual (with <30.000 individuals compared to around 1.000).

What do you mean by the number of deaths and side effects don't look promising? As far as I am aware, the reported potential side effects for the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are as expected based on what was discovered in clinical trials. 

Where have you got those numbers for side effects? The actual likelihood of getting a side effect is much higher, almost everybody will experience a sore arm or some headache or some fever after second dose. 

Personal anecdotes are meaningless. I have no reason to assume your father's continuing headaches are connected to the vaccination. 

You are asking me if you should take the vaccine when you already have had Covid-19? I would hope not, but I am not your doctor. Ask her, not me. 

• Like 1

I am also waiting for you to show me it is not a fact that the vaccines are good for us. Personal anecdotes that barely show correlation and much less causation, does not work, neither does unsubstantiated claims that there are so much adverse side effects that the costs of the vaccination are greater than the benefits. 

34 minutes ago, LAGuns87 said:

While I understand this is real I'm still lucky to say in nearly 2 years now only know 1 person who's been in ICU yeah few people tested positive but been OK this is not going away any time soon.

If I'm unlucky enough to get this I'm in a good hands @MillionsOfSpidershas promised me she will feed me protein shakes and peel my grapes......!!!!!!! Looooool

• Haha 2

On 11/18/2021 at 2:03 AM, downzy said:

If he's a waste of your time (though I would argue the opposite to be the case), then kindly stop talking to him.  

I have and then I've been tempted to go at it again.

Not even to convince him or anyone else that I'm right but to specify that there are alternatives to be considered and point out the irregularities of how this pandemic was/is being handled.

2 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

Not even to convince him or anyone else that I'm right but to specify that there are alternatives to be considered and point out the irregularities of how this pandemic was/is being handled.

What alternatives to social restrictions and vaccines do we have?

Edited by SoulMonster

20 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

90%? My state is barely 60% and it has hardly gone up the last 3 months. Many anti-vaxxers here. 

Less than 90% may be sufficient in less populated areas. EvanG is in one of them Benelux countries and they basically live on top of each other. 

Still, disappointing that the vaccines aren't more effective against the spread of the disease. Fortunately, they still offer a lot of protection when infected. Also disappointing the effect tapers off so quickly. Well, here's to next-generation Covid-19 vaccines!

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Less than 90% may be sufficient in less populated areas. EvanG is in one of them Benelux countries and they basically live on top of each other. 

Still, disappointing that the vaccines aren't more effective against the spread of the disease. Fortunately, they still offer a lot of protection when infected. Also disappointing the effect tapers off so quickly. Well, here's to next-generation Covid-19 vaccines!

That's the big bummer regarding the vaccines for me. I was hoping they'd be FAR more effective in stopping the spread. 

It is what it is though. I got the original Moderna shots and I got the Moderna booster. That's me though. I'm not gonna shame anyone else who might be genuinely afraid of or just doesn't trust the vaccine. (I'm not saying YOU'RE doing that in this thread, just saying I see a LOT of people doing that online). 

Here's hoping further advances are made and this whole damn thing can be put behind us someday. 

• Like 2