UYI boxset will be released 11/11/22. In Slash We Trust. * Now available *

4 hours ago, Draguns said:

Has anyone not gotten their Use Your Illusion Super deluxe set that ordered through the GNR merchandise website? My order is right now in Ohio with no scheduled delivery date. I'm not happy about this. I paid money and Fedex is messing around. I'm not sure what to do. 

mine is also stuck in Ohio it says it departed but is now just lost ig.

18 hours ago, Sausagebrain said:

Yes. That's why it's such a missed opportunity to have not included demos of the songs in this boxset. (Like the ones Slash said in his autobiography that he still had).

Cant say that they would definitely be better or worse than the final product. But it would cost the songs in a different light, for sure.

Still wish they had included the demos and AGD. Also I think it would've been cool if they had more full shows, like Noblesville 1991, Wembley 1991, Paris 1992, Chicago 1992, etc. Doesn't have to be perfect quality.

Edited by MaskingApathy

9 hours ago, eggers said:

Every man and their dog seems to have uploaded the concert film onto THE video website and none have been pulled. What gives?

9 hours ago, WillBailey said:

It won't stay very long there. People usually taking care of that are probably busy at the moment.

Wondering if the price-point and full-release format was less of a band decision and more of a label one? Could be a slight "wink wink" to the fans where they keep it up for a week or so so anyone that wants to watch it can, before they are "forced" to pull it. Maybe I'm too optimistic but considering everything gets pulled immediately and this is still up, I feel slightly intentional. On that note, I've been firmly in the camp that the leaks in 2006 to a degree were intentional.

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

Still wish they had included the demos and AGD. Also I think it would've been cool if they had more full shows, like Noblesville 1991, Wembley 1991, Paris 1992, Chicago 1992, etc. Doesn't have to be perfect quality.

I'd prefer stuff we don't have bootlegs of yet, though. We know they filmed a lot. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ruttu69 said:

I don't see the problem with the quality here. It's the look of the times. 

Rather have that, than GnR using ugly smudgy upscaling algorithms like many "HD remastered" music videos. Or completely destroy the image and erase the look of the format it was shot on - like Peter Jackson did with Beatles Get Back,.

18 minutes ago, jamillos said:

I'd prefer stuff we don't have bootlegs of yet, though. We know they filmed a lot. 

Yes. I'm all for them releasing pro-shot shows regardless of the quality, but preferably ones we haven't seen or have only low quality audience recordings of. We already have Chicago, Indiana, Oklahoma etc. and they had recorded so many other shows.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ruttu69 said:

I read somewhere that the video belonged to the person who is on the bongos (the band gave her it following the performance) and was digitized some years later. All GNR did was take the video that was digitized from the VHS and upload it on their channel. Saskatoon will be a better example of the quality GNR will have in their archives.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nikosgnr said:

Remember which date?

06.26.93 - Olympiastadion, Munich, Germany

opening act: Brian May

set: It's So Easy, Mr. Brownstone, Live And Let Die, Welcome To The Jungle, Nice Boys, Attitude, Double Talkin' Jive, You Ain't The First, You're Crazy, Used To Love Her, Patience [w/ Imagine], Knockin' On Heaven's Door, Dust In The Wind [Intro] / November Rain, Dead Horse, Drum Solo, You Could Be Mine, Guitar Solo, Sweet Child O' Mine, Estranged, Mother [Intro] / Paradise City 

audio/video recording?: audio 

notes: Footage for the 'Estranged' video was shot at this show. The band jams on 'Train Kept A Rollin' during 'Double Talkin' Jive.' Before 'Used To Love Her', Slash jams on an old John Fogerty/CCR song, 'Up Around The Bend.' Slash jams on David Bowie's 'Ziggy Stardust' during 'Knockin' On Heaven's Door.' After 'Estranged,' Slash mentioned that the crowd has just participated in an upcoming video. He then goes on to say, "You don't know what the fuck I'm saying, do you?" Axl sings a bit of 'We Want The Funk' during 'Mother.

Source http://gnrontour.com/

Edited by WillBailey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Munich '93 (and Estranged video) would look great when scanned in 4K but to be honest, we don't really know if they filmed the whole show throughuly or did they only film smaller fragments here and there to just get the atmosphere shots for the video. We know that most of the close-ups were filmed separately in a studio so it might be the case that we don't have the whole Munich show on film.

Cathouse '89 on the other hand might be similiar "Holy grail" as Ritz '91.
IIRC, they played full show there that was filmed in entirety for the It's So Easy video, so it's similiar case as the You Could Be Mine video shoot at Ritz. Cathouse gig had original lineup, apparently they were on fire AND it was shot on film. The ISE video they released for the AFD box looks amazing in HD.  Releasing Ritz '91 was great move - let's hope they would open the vault even more from now on.

So for AFD box they omitted the live stuff but we got lots of demos and for Illusion box we didn't get any demos but got lots of live footage. These fucking guys..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spiritual_Chaos said:

I don't see the problem with the quality here. It's the look of the times. 

Rather have that, than GnR using ugly smudgy upscaling algorithms like many "HD remastered" music videos. Or completely destroy the image and erase the look of the format it was shot on - like Peter Jackson did with Beatles Get Back,.

This might be a bit off-topic but regarding remastered music videos, they didn't put effort to remaster these from the original tapes.

Example: Andy Morahan was never approached for his archives for NovRain, Don't Cry and Estranged. 

It seems like they just took the same digitalized vids and 'remastered' them lol

1 hour ago, lazyyy said:

Munich '93 (and Estranged video) would look great when scanned in 4K but to be honest, we don't really know if they filmed the whole show throughuly or did they only film smaller fragments here and there to just get the atmosphere shots for the video. We know that most of the close-ups were filmed separately in a studio so it might be the case that we don't have the whole Munich show on film.

Cathouse '89 on the other hand might be similiar "Holy grail" as Ritz '91.
IIRC, they played full show there that was filmed in entirety for the It's So Easy video, so it's similiar case as the You Could Be Mine video shoot at Ritz. Cathouse gig had original lineup, apparently they were on fire AND it was shot on film. The ISE video they released for the AFD box looks amazing in HD.  Releasing Ritz '91 was great move - let's hope they would open the vault even more from now on.

So for AFD box they omitted the live stuff but we got lots of demos and for Illusion box we didn't get any demos but got lots of live footage. These fucking guys..

Cathouse 1989 would be great but we dont have much info unfortunately...  

10.10.89 - The Cathouse, Hollywood, CA

set: It's So Easy

notes: This was the video shoot for 'It's So Easy.

10.11.89 - The Cathouse, Hollywood, CA

audio/video recording?: no

notes: One of the 2 warmup gigs GN'R played before they opened for The Rolling Stones.

Source : gnrontour.com

23 minutes ago, WillBailey said:

Cathouse 1989 would be great but we dont have much info unfortunately...  

10.10.89 - The Cathouse, Hollywood, CA

set: It's So Easy

notes: This was the video shoot for 'It's So Easy.

10.11.89 - The Cathouse, Hollywood, CA

audio/video recording?: no

notes: One of the 2 warmup gigs GN'R played before they opened for The Rolling Stones.

Source : gnrontour.com

According to Marc Canter and Riki Rachtman (and I think Niven, too) these two dates were actually the same show. Maybe they first did the video shoot for It's So Easy and then they played a full show after midnight.

In the It's So Easy video there is a shot of Axl playing bass, which we know he did during Rocket Queen at the other warmup show at the Plaza as well as at the Stones opening shows. So this is an indication that the full Cathouse show was filmed.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

8 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

According to Marc Canter and Riki Rachtman (and I think Niven, too) these two dates were actually the same show. Maybe they first did the video shoot for It's So Easy and then they played a full show after midnight.

In the It's So Easy video there is a shot of Axl playing bass, which we know he did during Rocket Queen at the other warmup show at the Plaza as well as at the Stones opening shows. So this is an indication that the full Cathouse show was filmed.

I knew the Encyclopedia Gunsnrosalis of the forum would have more info. 😁👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ©GnrPersia said:

This might be a bit off-topic but regarding remastered music videos, they didn't put effort to remaster these from the original tapes.

Example: Andy Morahan was never approached for his archives for NovRain, Don't Cry and Estranged. 

It seems like they just took the same digitalized vids and 'remastered' them lol

Yeah, okey. I mostly thought (not Gnr specific) that it depended on what was actually saved and available. 

I mean, they recut D'you know what I mean? from the camera negative: 

But uprezzed and smudged up Wonderwall (maybe that only existed as a SD source, but don't "HD:ify it" by that shitty smudgy algorithm (that will age like piss. Just look back at Get Back in a few years).

Pearl Jam had Jeremy rescanned to 4K:

https://youtu.be/MS91knuzoOA

but with the Riot Act videos (shot on 35mm) they seemed to also just use an uprezzed a SD source:

Get Back:

The-beatles-Get-Back-footage-looks-so-we

This is the "brickwalled for iphone earbuds" of our film loving generation.

Edited by Spiritual_Chaos
  • Like 1