New SMKC single Call Off The Dogs

metallex78

4 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Maybe it’s just cheaper to record live. Every penny counts when going thru an ugly divorce 

He's already divorced and the settlement deal is in place. This wasn't penny pinching it was, being conservative with the available slot of time available

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

He's already divorced and the settlement deal is in place. This wasn't penny pinching it was, being conservative with the available slot of time available

What is he busy doing otherwise; recording a non SMKC album Perhaps?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, drlaban said:

What is he busy doing otherwise; recording a non SMKC album Perhaps?

No it was that they were recording during the Covid lockdown intermission and they just had a finite amount of time where he could have everybody in one location. I'm sure there was also a budget though😄

35 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Seemingly every time one of these singles comes out, I jump in here, say the songs all sound the same, and get roasted, so, this time, I'm just gonna put this here:

https://www.metalsucks.net/2022/01/14/slash-featuring-myles-kennedy-the-conspirators-debut-new-song-call-off-the-dogs/

Pretty funny but much like ACDC, Slash has been making the same style of music his entire career and that never changed, except for VR which funnily DID involve Duff, yet it sounded nothing like GNR, so this guys point that VR was an Axl less GNR is stupid, just because it's the same people. The music sounds nothing alike. Also no idea why people are expecting something different now. The problem is not Slashs music though, it's that Myles brings no personality to his singing, he always sings the same way, especially the chorus often sounds similar to other ones. This is not the song to criticise him for though,, this is like one of the few SMKC songs where he sounds like he's having fun and not like a programmed robot.

I don't get the criticism for this song, it's a wild loose rock n roll jam, not every song has to be made up of Eddie Van Halen-level complicated riffs and techniques to make a song good. Much better than the 2 previous songs which I don't even listen to anymore.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Pretty funny but much like ACDC, Slash has been making the same style of music his entire career and that never changed, except for VR. No idea why people are expecting something different now. The problem is not his music though, it's that Myles brings no personality to his singing, he always sings the same way, especially the chorus often sounds similar to other ones. This is not the song to criticise him for though,, this is like one of the few SMKC songs where he sounds like he's having fun and not like a programmed robot.

I think the point is more that without Duff, Izzy, or Axl, his songs constantly tend to lack that undefinable quality, the spark that creates true magic, though I suppose you could make that argument about all of them, depending on your viewpoint and tastes.

As for Myles, he's just never done it for me.  Obviously a talented guy, seems really humble, down to earth, and hard-working, but, yeah, I dunno.  There's just something in the tone that rankles.  YM, of course, MV

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

I think the point is more that without Duff, Izzy, or Axl, his songs constantly tend to lack that undefinable quality, the spark that creates true magic, though I suppose you could make that argument about all of them, depending on your viewpoint and tastes.

As for Myles, he's just never done it for me.  Obviously a talented guy, seems really humble, down to earth, and hard-working, but, yeah, I dunno.  There's just something in the tone that rankles.  YM, of course, MV

I agree that it's probable that future GNR songs will be better than what SMKC is putting out, I'm excited to see what they did with Perhaps and maybe State Of Grace. As for Aturd and Hard Skool, they have Duff and Axl, but I think this song is better actually. Might just be me, but I don't listen to those anymore, they don't have that magic that I expected from new GNR music.

6 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I agree that it's probable that future GNR songs will be better than what SMKC is putting out, I'm excited to see what they did with Perhaps and maybe State Of Grace. As for Aturd and Hard Skool, they have Duff and Axl, but I think this song is better actually. Might just be me, but I don't listen to those anymore, they don't have that magic that I expected from new GNR music.

Aturd...I appreciated that...well done!  Might have to steal it.

I'm with you.  Don't listen to either song anymore, and, you have a good point, they did have Axl, Slash, & Duff together, though I do wonder what they would come up with if they wrote something entirely from scratch.  Unfortunately, I'm in the cynical camp which doesn't believe we'll ever hear a brand-new song from them, but that's neither here nor there, is it?

I do think this song is definitely better than Absurd, and, my god, to be honest, I'd probably be falling outta my wheelchair if Axl sang this one.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Pretty funny but much like ACDC, Slash has been making the same style of music his entire career and that never changed, except for VR which funnily DID involve Duff, yet it sounded nothing like GNR, so this guys point that VR was an Axl less GNR is stupid, just because it's the same people. The music sounds nothing alike. Also no idea why people are expecting something different now. The problem is not Slashs music though, it's that Myles brings no personality to his singing, he always sings the same way, especially the chorus often sounds similar to other ones. This is not the song to criticise him for though,, this is like one of the few SMKC songs where he sounds like he's having fun and not like a programmed robot.

I don't get the criticism for this song, it's a wild loose rock n roll jam, not every song has to be made up of Eddie Van Halen-level complicated riffs and techniques to make a song good. Much better than the 2 previous songs which I don't even listen to anymore.

He probably wanted to interview Slash, which never happened and that's why he sounds so butthurt. That's just a guess of course.

Having said that, I still don’t like this song. I prefer aturd, HS, and the two previous SMKC singles to this one. They could have done a lot more out of it. That sleazy riff deserves better.

36 minutes ago, LikeADog93 said:

The mixing and production is pretty terrible in my opinion. I get that they wanted to make this album completely live, which has produced great results for other bands, but so far all the tracks they’ve put out sound very muddy. 

That's not the fault of them recording live though, it's the fault of the guy mixing (Dave Cobb). 

I remember back in 2000 being absolutely so excited about Ain't Life Grand, loving the single, excellent production, staying up late to listen to the album over and over on headphones when it first came out.

This… maybe it is me getting older, but it is very bland rock, with very poor production. I’ve never been this underwhelmed by a Slash release.

Ah well.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ToonGuns said:

I remember back in 2000 being absolutely so excited about Ain't Life Grand, loving the single, excellent production, staying up late to listen to the album over and over on headphones when it first came out.

This… maybe it is me getting older, but it is very bland rock, with very poor production. I’ve never been this underwhelmed by a Slash release.

Ah well.

You weren't underwhelmed by the 2 singles that came out before this? Dross of the highest order, I heard them maybe twice and probably never going to listen to them again, I dont get why people shit on THIS single, this actually has some energy. The 2 songs that came BEFORE this, are the shit ones.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

37 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You weren't underwhelmed by the 2 singles that came out before this? Dross of the highest order, I heard them maybe twice and probably never going to listen to them again, I dont get why people shit on THIS single, this actually has some energy. The 2 songs that came BEFORE this, are the shit ones.

Different ears, different tastes...