The Batman

I’m still gathering my thoughts about the film, and I think I’d need to see it again to take off my “new Batman film, so it must be awesome” glasses. But initial impressions, are that I thought it was pretty damn great.

It’s not a film without flaws, but it was still really great. For it’s runtime (close to 3 hours) it didn’t seem to drag much either. I was pretty much gripped to my seat most of the movie.

Pattinson was fantastic, as were the rest of the cast. Batman and Catwoman had great chemistry.

I’d also just like to add, that when we first hear the revving of the Batmobile engine before seeing it in it’s full glory, I was giggling with a big stupid grin on my face at how awesome it was!

Went to a midnight showing after a long day at work and fell asleep halfway through. Woke up and left before the end. What I saw was great but I'll have to try again when I'm not so tired. :lol: 

• Haha 4

I liked it. My only real complaints are the awkwardness of the sequel-bait scene, and a few too many shots of seeing bad guys unload entire magazines worth of ammo on Batman. I understand he has armour, but I preferred the way this was handled in earlier films where he could only take a couple of shots and even those might knock him down at least. It was hard to feel the stakes in action scenes when he comes across as invincible.

Still, good movie.

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

Right, I'm off to watch it again. The Vue in Croydon is only £6 a ticket so I might just stay in the pub for the first hour then pop back in to see the ending. :lol: 

Scratch that. I’m off to see Pulp Fiction at the Prince Charles in SoHo instead.

Don’t suppose you fancy it @Amir? 😂 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

Two scenes stick out in my mind as pretty dope cinematography.

• One is the Batmobile reveal and chase. 
  • The other is when he comes out of the elevator to fight all those guys in the dark and only the gun fire illuminates the action.
  •  
Edited by moreblack
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 3:43 AM, Dazey said:

Went to a midnight showing after a long day at work and fell asleep halfway through. Woke up and left before the end. What I saw was great but I'll have to try again when I'm not so tired. :lol: 

LOL I also had a big fight against sleep for the first hour or so. There is no better place/way to sleep than in the dark cinema. ;) But judging by what I saw, I think this was the best portrayal of Batman since '92. Batman is finally a detective again. Not some random superhero, who just coincidently looks like a bat. I still think Pattinson is grossly miscast as Bruce Wayne, but luckily he's Batman most of the time and as that he's quite alright. Not sure what tehy did with the Riddler, because that sure as hell wasn't the riddler, but the story, while not quite perfect, moved along and the movie, despite it's length, didn't drag.

5 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

LOL I also had a big fight against sleep for the first hour or so. There is no better place/way to sleep than in the dark cinema. ;) But judging by what I saw, I think this was the best portrayal of Batman since '92. Batman is finally a detective again. Not some random superhero, who just coincidently looks like a bat. I still think Pattinson is grossly miscast as Bruce Wayne, but luckily he's Batman most of the time and as that he's quite alright. Not sure what tehy did with the Riddler, because that sure as hell wasn't the riddler, but the story, while not quite perfect, moved along and the movie, despite it's length, didn't drag.

Amen on the detective bit. I actually made a joke on this forum like a year ago that I was totally ready for a Batman detective story with minimal fighting. More of a Sherlock Holmes with a suit. Ok this wasn't totally that, but the pace is much slower than typical superhero schlock and there were no quips or cheap one-liners, naturally I loved all of this. People have said this has a 70's film vibe, which is a good thing because 70's film is amazing. The Gotham atmosphere that Reeves created in this is so captivating. It's on par with Burton's Gotham aesthetic/vibe, which I hold in very high regard.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I can't quite recall the 2nd film but I'm sure you're right. I love that sort of dark gothic noir look.

That is the second. You should watch it again. ;) There Burton really got his footing and made it his. That whole movie also flows much better than the first one, which is a bit clunky and serves Batman in blocks. His appearances are way more "fluid" in 2.

I’m not ready to rank the live-action theatrical films individually yet, but I think I’m at a point now where I can group them into tiers, at least:

GREAT

Batman ‘89, Batman Returns, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Batman

OKAY

The Dark Knight Rises, Joker

SO BAD IT’S GOOD

Batman ‘66, Batman Forever, Batman & Robin, Justice League

UNWATCHABLE

Batman v. Superman, Suicide Squad

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Elaborate?

“Too incely” = Glorifying mental illness rather than bringing genuine awareness to it.

”Unreliable narrator” = Him imagining his entire relationship with that girl and that hard cut from him on top of the car to him in the mental asylum both imply that not everything in the movie may be “true.” In fact, the whole movie may just be “in his head” (or at least most of it). I like this because, while the movie acts like it’s realistic, it actually isn’t. Stuff like those generic “Wall Street guys” bullying him on the train felt very cartoony, and not like something you’d expect to happen irl. But him being an unreliable narrator helps to diminish that jarring effect.

I would also like to add that the movie feels kinda pretentious. The director himself even said that he only made it cause he wanted to “sneak a REAL movie thru the studio system, maaaan!” If he didn’t wanna make a superhero movie, then why use a superhero character? Why not just remake Taxi Driver or The King of Comedy? Or just make his own “hybrid” of those? The movie is already similar to both of them anyways. Furthermore, the fact that the film has a cameo from Marc Maron, a man who has said time and time again that he hates superheroes, makes it feel that much more pretentious.

Edited by rocknroll41

On 3/8/2022 at 7:55 PM, rocknroll41 said:

“Too incely” = Glorifying mental illness rather than bringing genuine awareness to it.

I guess that just depends on how you look at the film. I don't think the film itself glorifies anything during its runtime. It's like when people were complaining that it would glorify someone who was supposed to be a villian and their actions, the film didn't do that at all.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2022 at 11:09 PM, Jw224 said:

I guess that just depends on how you look at the film. I don't think the film itself glorifies anything during its runtime. It's like when people were complaining that it would glorify someone who was supposed to be a villian and their actions, the film didn't do that at all.

I agree I don't see  anything or anyone getting glorified.

I really like this movie. I didn't have great expectations. And I find it better than I thought. The only thing I didn't like was Colin Farrell playing Penguin. Because he is too unrecognizable. I believe someone like Farrell deserves better.

The car chase scene is amazing. I also like how the bat signal is more like a warning rather than a call for help

Honestly made me appreciate the Bale/Nolan films all the more. 

Enjoyed the car chase scene, but everything else didn't really work for me or excite me. Less than zero chemistry between Batman and Catwoman, and the Bruce Wayne character is a complete and utter afterthought in this film.