Will Smith punches Chris Rock at Oscars

1 minute ago, action said:

there are people who have lost their shit for less, and far less.

just as their are people, who do not lose their shit at all.

will smith lost his shit, for the reasons we have discussed. He sits somewhere left of the middle of the spectrum, a bit on the extreme / touchy side.

hitting someone while the whole world is watching, is something else.

either, he's an extreme narcissist, or he has serious anger management problems, given the circumstances.

I guess I'm just a very understanding person. I even understand you, action.

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I guess I'm just a very understanding person. I even understand you, action.

there are people all over the spectrum.

I get that you understand will smith's behaviour, but I'm not sure what the implications of that understanding are.

there are only very few socially unacceptable acts, that are "not" understandable, if you look into the subject hard enough. Forensic psychologists make a living creating a psychological profile of criminals. Eventuelly, "they" can understand most criminals too.

you understanding will smith is a bit meaningless. What does that say about him? Surely, nothing? I'd say; take his oscar away. He's a stain on the oscars and even his own philantropic actions.

2 minutes ago, action said:

there are people all over the spectrum.

I get that you understand will smith's behaviour, but I'm not sure what the implications of that understanding are.

there are only very few socially unacceptable acts, that are "not" understandable, if you look into the subject hard enough. Forensic psychologists make a living creating a psychological profile of criminals. Eventuelly, "they" can understand most criminals too.

you understanding will smith is a bit meaningless. What does that say about him? Surely, nothing? I'd say; take his oscar away. He's a stain on the oscars and even his own philantropic actions.

I don't think that deeply about it.
I saw a guy who made a mistake because he saw his wife being hurt. There's not much more to it than that.
I think we've all made mistakes and will make them again.
Then some of the comments or certain words I've seen being used in this thread shows not a lot of understanding of any kind.

• Like 1

Here is more behind the scenes stuff and pics and really, Smith's behaviour is kinda going back and forth and back and doesn't make too much sense and bizarre, like I said before.

At the afterparty... from teary eyed to dancing and partying:

ny-post-front-page.jpg?quality=75&strip=

will-smith-Jada-Pinkett-Smith-chris-rock

will-smith-26.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w

will-smith-27.jpg?quality=75&strip=all&w

https://pagesix.com/2022/03/28/what-you-didnt-see-after-will-smith-slapped-chris-rock/

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Apparently the academy did ask him to leave after his outburst and he just refused. Lol.

Jesus, it keeps getting worse for both Smith and the Academy.

Mr. Smith, we kindly ask you to leave now you've punched our host. 'No.' Uh, okay then. Here's your award and a standing ovation. Have fun dancing with your oscar at the afterparty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Lio said:

Jesus, it keeps getting worse for both Smith and the Academy.

Mr. Smith, we kindly ask you to leave now you've punched our host. 'No.' Uh, okay then. Here's your award and a standing ovation. Have fun dancing with your oscar at the afterparty.

To play devil's advocate, trying to get a black Oscar winner removed from an international live show, while he is sitting in the front row and refusing to leave, with a venue full of people, of which some still support him, would have caused even more headlines. But yes. It is comical. The next time I'm being ask to leave somewhere, I also will just say "No.". :lol:

47 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

To play devil's advocate, trying to get a black Oscar winner removed from an international live show, while he is sitting in the front row and refusing to leave, with a venue full of people, of which some still support him, would have caused even more headlines. But yes. It is comical. The next time I'm being ask to leave somewhere, I also will just say "No.". :lol:

Yeah, I saw people who criticized Will Smith are called racist when they're not black. Never mind he slapped another black person. It's truly sad some make everything into a racist thing. Imagine if Chris Rock had been white (and Smith black). He would've been racist. Imagine if Will Smith had been white (and Rock black). He would've been racist.

It must be infuriating to those 'racist!' screamers that both were black. It also makes it harder for them to lash out to Zoe Kravitz. They have to be more creative now :lol:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

I would have stopped the show and told the audience that it would not continue until Smith left the building; explain that violence won’t be tolerated.  Then just wait until either Smith left or everyone else does. 

4 hours ago, Lio said:

Yeah, I saw people who criticized Will Smith are called racist when they're not black. Never mind he slapped another black person. It's truly sad some make everything into a racist thing. Imagine if Chris Rock had been white (and Smith black). He would've been racist. Imagine if Will Smith had been white (and Rock black). He would've been racist.

It must be infuriating to those 'racist!' screamers that both were black. It also makes it harder for them to lash out to Zoe Kravitz. They have to be more creative now :lol:

Yeah. They have to see it like that, 5 years ago the academy awards where #sowhite. Now they are so black that 2 black people can diss/beat each other and no one gets evicted and one of them still gets an Oscar and standing ovations. You have to see the positive. :lol:;)

19 minutes ago, downzy said:

I would have stopped the show and told the audience that it would not continue until Smith left the building; explain that violence won’t be tolerated.  Then just wait until either Smith left or everyone else does. 

Yeah. They could have done that. And also gotten branded as racist. But yes, would have been interesting to see how that plays out.

Edited by PatrickS77

I wish I had a dollar for all the times I"ve seen that slap. Would be a very rich person now!

Yeah, the Academy asked Will to leave, but he knew he was going to win the Oscar, so the answer was no.

Anyway, I just wish whatever the Academy decides to do about Smith it will be the end of it.

Chris Rock is on tour now. it seems his tickets weren't selling so well until he was slapped by Smith. Just goes to show you how stupid this is. Rock is a funny guy and I've seen some of his comedy shows, so why should being slapped have more people coming out. Guess they wanted tos ee what Rock would say about the incident.  It shows you how people love this shit.

11 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I wish I had a dollar for all the times I"ve seen that slap. Would be a very rich person now!

Yeah, the obsession is crazy.
There are people dying in the world, there's war in Europe, and people are still going on about one dude slapping another dude because of a stupid joke.

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

There are people dying in the world, there's war in Europe, and people are still going on about one dude slapping another dude because of a stupid joke.

Almost as crazy as routinely visiting and posting about a currently dormant band that has put out one new album of music in thirty years. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, EvanG said:

just my opinion but I think that just because this awful war is happening right now plus other huge issues doesn't make other issues not worth it for society to deal with. We need to improve in a lot of areas in our life, big and small(er)

there's a social contract and everytime someone thinks it doesn't apply to them and breaks it, we need to show it's not acceptable cause it leads to stagnation/even shittier behavior.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rovim said:

just my opinion but I think that just because this awful war is happening right now plus other huge issues doesn't make other issues not worth it for society to deal with. We need to improve in a lot of areas in our life, big and small(er)

there's a social contract and everytime someone thinks it doesn't apply to them and breaks it, we need to show it's not acceptable cause it leads to stagnation/even shittier behavior.

I think that a guy slapping another guy being front-page news for a lot of days in a row (which I've seen in several media) is too much. 
There's a lot more important stuff going on. Sorry.

Obviously it was wrong of Will to do what he did. I think he probably isn't the most stable person as of late considering what's been happening in his personal life. Not really an excuse for assaulting someone though. I think Chris handled it rather well. Hopefully Will is able to get some help as that isn't the actions of an emotionally stable person. Also, apparently the academy heads asked him to leave, but then one of the producers told him to stay, at least that's what I've seen.

I'd say worse things have definitely happened at these awards as well.

35 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I'd say worse things have definitely happened at these awards as well.

The only thing that has come close, and perhaps surpasses, to Smith's slap on Rock is the 1973 Oscars, when Marlon Brando had Sacheen Littlefeather speak in his place after he was awarded the best actor oscar and John Wayne had to be restrained. 

Reports suggest Wayne was attempting to physically remove Littlefeather from the stage as she spoke requiring those around Wayne - a royal piece of shit and a self-admitted white supremacist - to restrain him while she speaking.  Littlefeather's remarks were greeted with boos, jeers, and insults.  Even Clint Eastwood, the host for the ceremony, was all too happy to pile on and make fun of Littlefeather.  It was easily the ugliest night of Oscars history until last Sunday.  

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

I think that a guy slapping another guy being front-page news for a lot of days in a row (which I've seen in several media) is too much. 
There's a lot more important stuff going on. Sorry.

Fair enough.  Many others are still processing what they saw and want to talk about it. 

If you're no longer interested, you're free to tune out.

4 hours ago, downzy said:

Fair enough.  Many others are still processing what they saw and want to talk about it. 

This 100% ^

and who says you can't be concerned about more than one thing? I am very concerned about the Ukraine war, but I also think it was shitty af for Will to slap Chris, so yeah I am going to talk about that too. 

• Like 2