Gibson: Slash The Collection video and autographed book preorders

58 minutes ago, axlvai said:

Im listen the video... and i got a surprise when Slash said he re-recorded KOHD post UYI. This interview had some very cool stuff.

See at 17:11

I am pretty sure he is just talking about here how they recorded KOHD technically seperate from the UYI sessions, it came out in 1990 for the Days of Thunder soundtrack with a slightly edited version of that same recording added to the Illusions

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I am pretty sure he is just talking about here how they recorded KOHD technically seperate from the UYI sessions, it came out in 1990 for the Days of Thunder soundtrack with a slightly edited version of that same recording added to the Illusions

Oh youre right. Was another session before UYIs came out. Or before the tour. Ty!

For a grand, I’d want Slash to personally read me the whole thing, whilst occasionally taking a break to juggle, and maybe make me a coffee. Mad price.

Gibson vid was good though. Didn’t say much about the Kris Derrig Les Paul, unfortunately. Mind was blown when he said their was a Fender VI on Jungle?!? 

• Like 3

On 8/26/2022 at 1:29 AM, El Guapo said:

The endless greed...

On 8/26/2022 at 3:49 PM, Sosso said:

Team Brazil 

Blame Gibson for this, not TB/Slash/GnR. They had nothing to do with it.

51 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

For a grand, I’d want Slash to personally read me the whole thing, whilst occasionally taking a break to juggle, and maybe make me a coffee. Mad price.

Gibson vid was good though. Didn’t say much about the Kris Derrig Les Paul, unfortunately. Mind was blown when he said their was a Fender VI on Jungle?!? 

Throw in a few guitar lessons too.

• Like 1

On 8/26/2022 at 9:33 PM, axlvai said:

Oh youre right. Was another session before UYIs came out. Or before the tour. Ty!

Before UYIs - 1990 session. First with Matt Sorum as a drummer.  For the Days of Thunder soundtrack.

On 8/26/2022 at 6:54 AM, swirkh said:

Who cares about the overpriced book. Don't like it, don't buy it.

But I must say this is the most relaxed, comfortable Slash I've ever seen in an interview. Good job Gibson. Such a treat for guitar nerds.

Looks like he is enjoying himself cause it's not the same ol', same ol'. It's business, but a new venture.

5 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I still don't understand why though lol

I guess just because people will pay it?

I think that's basically it! 

I understand the 'why' I don't understand the 'how' though, in terms of how people can afford it! But it's not aimed at poor old rock fans I guess! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

I think that's basically it! 

I understand the 'why' I don't understand the 'how' though, in terms of how people can afford it! But it's not aimed at poor old rock fans I guess! 

It’s aimed more at Gibson collectors and guitar aficionados. Gibson are high priced instruments, so someone dropping 250 or 1000 on this product is a drop in a bucket for people who frequently buy $3k-$10k guitars and collect. They aren’t even typically guitars people gig with any more. Slash just signs a bunch of copies as part of the deal. Gibson then prices it 

When it comes to buying stuff that’s signed, I stay away from things that are priced significantly more than what a typical autograph is charged or worth. Normally Slash charges around a $100 premium for his signed stuff in his store. That’s also about where the market is.

Is there $150 or $900 worth of items in those packages? That’s up to the buyer

I’d be interested to buy an unsigned copy if it becomes available. Personally, I have enough Slash signed stuff and a few guitars. This would be overkill and I feel they are asking a bit much compared to what’s being offered 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, guitarpatch said:

It’s aimed more at Gibson collectors and guitar aficionados. Gibson are high priced instruments, so someone dropping 250 or 1000 on this product is a drop in a bucket for people who frequently buy $3k-$10k guitars and collect. They aren’t even typically guitars people gig with any more. Slash just signs a bunch of copies as part of the deal. Gibson then prices it 

When it comes to buying stuff that’s signed, I stay away from things that are priced significantly more than what a typical autograph is charged or worth. Normally Slash charges around a $100 premium for his signed stuff in his store. That’s also about where the market is.

Is there $150 or $900 worth of items in those packages? That’s up to the buyer

I’d be interested to buy an unsigned copy if it becomes available. Personally, I have enough Slash signed stuff and a few guitars. This would be overkill and I feel they are asking a bit much compared to what’s being offered 

So Gibsons aren't really used much by bands anymore? I have little/no knowledge of guitars and the more 'technical' side of music.

Are they simply too expensive now for most bands, or are they seen more as classics than functioning musical equipment? 

Edited by allwaystired

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

So Gibsons aren't really used much by bands anymore? I have little/no knowledge of guitars and the more 'technical' side of music.

Are they simply too expensive now for most bands, or are they seen more as classics than functioning musical equipment? 

Oh they’re still used if they can be afforded. There’s just a stigma that they’re now doctor and lawyer guitars. Especially custom shop,  59 reissues, etc…

They’re just expensive and there’s certainly been a movement with gigging musicians not to bring out expensive guitars to shows and even record. There’s tons of great quality instruments in the sub 1000 range compared to 30 yrs ago that do the job just as well. $ is always tight and people look for it to be spent elsewhere 

Edited by guitarpatch
  • Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 4:41 PM, guitarpatch said:

Oh they’re still used if they can be afforded. There’s just a stigma that they’re now doctor and lawyer guitars. Especially custom shop,  59 reissues, etc…

They’re just expensive and there’s certainly been a movement with gigging musicians not to bring out expensive guitars to shows and even record. There’s tons of great quality instruments in the sub 1000 range compared to 30 yrs ago that do the job just as well. $ is always tight and people look for it to be spent elsewhere 

Makes sense! Thanks for filling me in! 

• 5 months later...
On 8/26/2022 at 8:33 PM, axlvai said:

Im listen the video... and i got a surprise when Slash said he re-recorded KOHD post UYI. This interview had some very cool stuff.

See at 17:11

he said they recorded right before the illusions sessions begin, they recorded it separately for the days of thunder movie...thats when he bought

edit ; already answered above

Edited by hitchcock

I grew up loving Gibson, brought my first Les Paul in 2004 which I still love. But I am rapidly going off this company for a few reasons. This overpriced book is just the most recent. People complained the UYI and AFD boxsets were to much but goodness me. Glad the last gibson I bought was just a Chibson from Aliexpress lol