SLASH Wants To Record New Full-Length Album With GUNS N' ROSES

39 minutes ago, vloors said:

On the other hand perfectionists don't release utter garbage like cds scraped or uyis myworld either though.

I feel its more about having too many yes men around him and when someone has balls to say no this doesn't work or this song isn't good enough they get fired.

I agree with original catcher btw and replacing the original artists and rearrangements can destroy the originals chemistry.

you're applying your own quality standard and taste on Axl as a musician as some kind of proof he's not a perfectionist but maybe he likes Scraped. I don't consider it garbage and perfectionists are also fallible.

when did Axl fire someone for giving a negative opinion on one of his compositions? if you mean Bob Ezrin, he was never hired by Axl. Other than that, I don't think he ever fired someone for saying a song wasn't good enough.

Edited by Rovim

5 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

I know for sure that he hasn't been spending much time in recording studios the last 15 years.  

There are plenty of quotes from bumblefoot and Ashba and the rest of them that they wanted to go make an album and it just clearly wasn't going to happen.  Slash is now saying the same.

Don't get me wrong. I would love an album as much as anyone else but all the evidence is there that Axl just has no desire to work on that side of the industry anymore. 

Maybe Im wrong and axl has been hard at work in the studio and has 10 albums ready to go. But if that were the case I don't think the first post reunion release would have been silkworms. 

Until Axl proves me wrong though there is plenty of evidence out there that he just lost desire to write and record albums during the Chinese Democracy process. I'm sorry if you guys don't see that 

And you see the pattern here?

Freese, Finck, Bumble, Ashba, even Brain said it, and not long after they were out of the band.

39 minutes ago, Legendador said:

And you see the pattern here?

Freese, Finck, Bumble, Ashba, even Brain said it, and not long after they were out of the band.

Robin said: "bitch, release This I Love now, it's cool" which Axl did, and then Robin fucked off cause the band was inactive and Trent offered Robin to tour? Axl still wanted him in the band is my guess. Bumble bored and burned out, Brain bored, DJ probably wasn't going to be in a band with the real deal. Josh wasn't going to sit around and focus on 1 project for a decade. Just doesn't seem like the type of musician that will do that.

not really a pattern that I can detect. Axl didn't fire anyone for wanting to make an album. He needed them to keep it going and could just not give a shit about their opinions or what they wanted to do. Kinda worked for him in the end, financially speaking at least.

6 hours ago, Rovim said:

Robin said: "bitch, release This I Love now, it's cool" which Axl did, and then Robin fucked off cause the band was inactive and Trent offered Robin to tour? Axl still wanted him in the band is my guess. Bumble bored and burned out, Brain bored, DJ probably wasn't going to be in a band with the real deal. Josh wasn't going to sit around and focus on 1 project for a decade. Just doesn't seem like the type of musician that will do that.

not really a pattern that I can detect. Axl didn't fire anyone for wanting to make an album. He needed them to keep it going and could just not give a shit about their opinions or what they wanted to do. Kinda worked for him in the end, financially speaking at least.

To me the pattern is, when they start to be pretty vocal about it, it is because it is becoming or boring or not going anywhere, then soon after they leave, cause it becomes a day-to-day job.

Also Duff posting (while in SA, that he wanted to slow down a bit and to spend more time with his family), to me, is an indicative that there are no plans other than touring and releasing the last 3 "new", (but pretty old) chi dem leftovers (state of grace, perhaps, atlas) and that's it.

Edited by Legendador
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Legendador said:

To me the pattern is, when thry start to be pretty vocal about it is because it is becoming or boring or not going anywhere, them soon after they leave.

Also Duff posting (while in SA, that he wanted to slow down a bit and to spend more time with his family), to me, is an indicative that there are no plans other than touring and releasing the last 3 "new", (but pretty old) chi dem leftovers (state of grace, perhaps, atlas) and that's it.

2021: 2 new old songs are released, after 13 years

band is keeping the tour going, while Slash keeps giving interviews in acceptable intervals of time and enough of it has become a reality. Now it seems the band will try to record brand new ideas.

I think there is a chance that Axl himself is not sure how many CD era tunes he wants to release. Maybe the release of Absurd and HS and the reaction of the public is a factor in what he'll do next.

most likely Axl has shared with Slash and Duff what he wants to do this time and touring is the priority. We know there is a full album of material ready to go or at least that's what I believe is the case.

even with no release, Gn'R doesn't seem to want to slow down, including Duff.

• ABSUЯD 1

8 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Axl clearly loves touring the world, visiting other countries and and playing shows.

He clearly does not love working in the studio.

How is this up for debate?

Well do you know what he does in his time off from touring? Very possible he spends time in his home studio. Regardless if he releases music or not

8 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

ABSURD and Hard Skool. Plus the upcoming UYI remasters which Axl 100% would be involved in. Plus there's at least 'some' more 'new' tracks coming. So it's not fair to say he has no interest in the studio at all.

Is it painfully fucking slow? Clearly. But he has at least some interest, hopefully it's more though and we get album(s).

Lol come on dude

This whole discussion got me to thinking of other bands that either took a while to release new music or haven't and I have 2 examples. Faith No More who you could say are contemporaries with GNR broke up in 1998 and reunited in 2009. They toured pretty consistently but it took until 2015 which was 6 years after their reunion to release Sol Invictus. 

My second example is System of a Down who released Mezmerize and Hypnotize in 2005 to success and critical acclaim but have yet to release an album since. Their situation feels similar to Guns in that Daron Malakian and Serj Tankian just haven't seen eye to eye on new music. In the meantime the rest of the band minus Serj has recorded music that can't really be finished without his involvement.

They released 2 new singles in 2020, one written by Malakian and the rest of the band a few years before (Genocidal Humanoidz), and another that was written by Malakian for his other band Scars on Broadway (Protect the Land). Still no full album after 17 years which is more than the gap between Chinese Democracy to present (14 years) and matches the gap of UYI I & II to Chinese Democracy (17 years). Despite this they still tour consistently.

• Like 1

GNR is a business model. They’re making way too much money and seem to be way too “functional” right now to just stop. They’re making money off of the shows, the what feels like weekly merch, the nightrain bullshit, re-releases, etc. This is not a band that is about releasing new music and moving forward- it’s a business model. A legacy act. GNR are a performing act and less so musicians. The idea of a whole new album just isn’t going to happen.

I’m sure Duff and Slash aren’t in love with it but they’re making bank, playing songs they love and are at peace with Axl. I’m sure the NITL lineup will continue for another 5 or so years until they all decide to retire and move on. In that time, besides maybe a few more singles, that’s all we’re getting. This is not the same hungry and passionate team of musicians we saw in the 80’s and 90’s. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Rovim said:

being a perfectionist musician doesn't mean that the product will be perfect when it's finally/eventually released. Oftentimes, it actually fucks with the quality of the product, as is evident in some of the versions of the CD tunes Axl picked for release as part of the album imo.

I think Catcher is a pretty good example, even though I like both versions. The demo sounds like a classic and then he fucked with it and some of the magic was lost cause many perfectionists don't know how to take a step back, recognize the work is done and let go.

As we say in my field of engineering, "the enemy of good is better."

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Everything I just stated is a fact. If you're jaded/pessimistic, totally understand, just don't agree.

Approving a remaster and actually going into the studio to write/record an album is 1000000% different.  

If you think Axl is spending countless nights in the studio writing and recording you haven't been paying attention to what every GNR band member over the last 15 years has been saying.

I'm not even mad at Axl, the Chinese Democracy process sounded like a total shit show.  I wouldn't do a job that I didn't enjoy either.  Axl for the first time in his life seems chill, at peace and happy.  I'm happy for the dude. If we get the remaining songs he recorded vocals for 20 years ago with Slash and Duff on them then I'll be happy.

And maybe he will surprise us.  Who knows.  But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a surprise.

Edited by Bitchisback

9 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

Approving a remaster and actually going into the studio to write/record an album is 1000000% different.  

If you think Axl is spending countless nights in the studio writing and recording you haven't been paying attention to what every GNR band member over the last 15 years has been saying.

I'm not even mad at Axl, the Chinese Democracy process sounded like a total shit show.  I wouldn't do a job that I didn't enjoy either.  Axl for the first time in his life seems chill, at peace and happy.  I'm happy for the dude. If we get the remaining songs he recorded vocals for 20 years ago with Slash and Duff on them then I'll be happy.

And maybe he will surprise us.  Who knows.  But I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for a surprise.

I agree with plenty of this. But when you get into what Axl does when he's out of sight then it's murky water. Most gnr members over the last 15yrs have said that Axl is always writing... We have their word but no actual physical evidence so we're here.

2 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

GNR is a business model. They’re making way too much money and seem to be way too “functional” right now to just stop. They’re making money off of the shows, the what feels like weekly merch, the nightrain bullshit, re-releases, etc. This is not a band that is about releasing new music and moving forward- it’s a business model. A legacy act. GNR are a performing act and less so musicians. The idea of a whole new album just isn’t going to happen.

I’m sure Duff and Slash aren’t in love with it but they’re making bank, playing songs they love and are at peace with Axl. I’m sure the NITL lineup will continue for another 5 or so years until they all decide to retire and move on. In that time, besides maybe a few more singles, that’s all we’re getting. This is not the same hungry and passionate team of musicians we saw in the 80’s and 90’s. 

Totally agree!

And by the way the general fans and media received ABSURD and HARD SKOOL, why bother to be release something that will always be compared to a 1987 classic album and that will not be better than that. Nothing they'll ever release will be as good as AFD or as monumental than UYI. Nobody on the rock genre can be compared or to top that.

I totally understand Axl, why put any effort on something that will be for sure, compared, undermined and criticized to a pulp and worst, which could tarnish the legacy, like Chinese Democracy almost did?

It is a no-win situation, so it makes sense to tour for life, release leftovers and rare boxsets to appease die-hards and November Rain with a 50 piece orchestra for the general fans. Business-wise it is brilliant.

A last bow and business move would be a single concert with the five allumini, with guest spots for Sorum, Gilby, a footage of that, a live CD, some memorabilia, like Led Zeppelin did and that's it!

15 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I agree with plenty of this. But when you get into what Axl does when he's out of sight then it's murky water. Most gnr members over the last 15yrs have said that Axl is always writing... We have their word but no actual physical evidence so we're here.

I'm sorry, but nobody never said, over the last 15 years, that Axl was always writing. This forum survives on Axl's lack of effort to do anything different than touring.

That's the fact.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Legendador said:

I'm sorry, but nobody never said, over the last 15 years, that Axl was always writing. This forum survives on Axl's lack of effort to do anything different than touring.

That's the fact.

I'm not going looking for the interviews but they are out there in plain English and yes it has been said more than once. That is fact. That wasn't meant in a "Axls writing all the time and there's an immediate release coming" it was just a 'Axls a creative guy and is always messing with new ideas'. 

On 11/7/2022 at 8:05 AM, Bitchisback said:

When has Axl recorded anything since CD came out?

We can only guess, but he tooled around in studios with Pitman & co in 2010-13ish.

But that was a decade ago and we haven't heard squat about whatever they did - and with Slash back, it's likely we never will.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

From what bumblefoot and Ashba said when they left the band it doesn't sound like this is true

Bumblefoot hasn't said anything publicly at least. He said it didn't look like he was going to get a shot at recording an album with GNR from the ground up (Or something like that), and that he needed to be a situation where he could create and release the music he had in his head. Ashba also said nothing really, he offered some tracks, Axl liked some things blah, blah and that Axl wanted him for the reunion🤣. Nothing to suggest what you're saying though.

It's batshit that these people keep arguing that Axl doesn't do anything musical in his off time, if it's not some how documented🤣 Give me one solid piece of info and I'd bite but what I can see it's just an assumption.

1 hour ago, hudsonsaul said:

Out of the loop. What have those two said since leaving? 

He said nothing about this

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I'm not going looking for the interviews but they are out there in plain English and yes it has been said more than once. That is fact. That wasn't meant in a "Axls writing all the time and there's an immediate release coming" it was just a 'Axls a creative guy and is always messing with new ideas'. 

Again, this was said in a far too far past, actually before Chinese Democracy was released.

The mojo is dead and gone ever since.

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

Slash has no reason to leave Gn'R again

To a guy that likes to be creative, work, release record after record, it will, eventually become boring only to tour the same songs for 10 years.

I'm not saying he has reasons to leave right now, but there are patterns and signs that they are becoming bored.

• Like 1